nvme ssd stutters in pcsx2
Hey y'all, i used to emulate ps2 on my 5200rpm 1tb wd laptop hdd and it was completely smooth (legion 5 rtx 2060 core i5 10th gen) but after i "upgraded" my storage to crucial p2 2TB nvme ssd (3 by 4) i get alot of stutters in all of my games now, (gow 1 and 2, shadow of the colossus, Splinter cell, and specially burnout 3 every goddamn 5 seconds!) i know it's a QLC nvme drive and it's Dramless, but i never thought it would be worse than my Hdd, I've already upgraded my ssds firmware and tested many versions of pcsx2, but it doesn't really matter, sometimes stutters go away for a moment but after a while it'll come back, idk what to do, is there something wrong with my sdd or pcsx2 is not optimized for my ssd?      and as you can see in the pic stutters happen when ssd spikes appear in taks manager

Sponsored links

Does the stutters happen on pc games ? If it does then i believe it's because your nvme ssd does not have buffer memory.
(08-06-2022, 09:55 PM)sportster Wrote: Does the stutters happen on pc games ? If it does then i believe it's because your nvme ssd does not have buffer memory.

Well ill test it out with a pc game, (it's just a emulation driven for alot of consoles) rpcs3 feels smooth tho (ps3 emulator) pcsx2 was fine on my old hdd before, how can my new nvme be worse than a hdd?! how cam i knwo it doesn't have buffer memory? Far as i knwo it's a dramless qlc drive
Your nvme ssd is dram less therefore it does not have buffer/cache memory which improve write speed.
Get a pc games to try, since you mentioned it's running fine with rpcs3 then i don't think the problem lies with your
nvme ssd.
(08-07-2022, 12:04 AM)sportster Wrote: Your nvme ssd is dram less therefore it does not have buffer/cache memory which improve write speed.
Get a pc games to try, since you mentioned it's running fine with rpcs3 then i don't think the problem lies with your
nvme ssd.

I installed rdr2, it runs completely fine no stutters on my main ssd (which is only 256gb but it's really fast and has dram) but yes you were right, i get stutters in rdr2 in the crucial ssd, tho i played it for 3 hours and got few stutters far less than pcsx2, some games on pcsx2 get stutters every 5 seconds, how can pcsx2 be more storage intensive than red dead 2? Did i really just wasted 189 $? When i asked people on reddit before buying this nvme people said it'll be fine and a dramless ssd is good enough for gaming... Is it possible that something is broken with my ssd? (but crystal disk and other tools say it's fine so idk)
Have you tired out the old version of pcsx2 v1.6 ? Maybe the newer version of pcsx2 is not well optimized.