optimum hardware but still lags
so i'm currently running pcsx2 on an i5 5250u processor which hits upto 2.7ghz with turboboost
8gb ram
4gb nvidia 920m graphic card.

I've tried changing the settings as much as possible and yet pcsx2 lags even though after checking the compatibility it stands better than most systems. If more specifics are required do ask as this is turning out to be a big buzzkill. Ps2 rocks lol

Sponsored links

In order to help you further with your problem, please make sure the following are all provided.
  • Operating System.
  • The version of PCSX2 you are using.
  • Any non default settings you are using.
  • What games you are trying to play and if you are playing them from ISO or DVD.

Thank You.
CPU : AMD Ryzen 7 3800X
Mobo : Asus PRIME B450-PLUS
GPU : NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070
RAM : 16 Go
(06-28-2016, 02:34 PM)maneesh1995 Wrote: so i'm currently running pcsx2 on an i5 5250u processor which hits upto 2.7ghz with turboboost
4gb nvidia 920m graphic card.

I wouldn't call any of that optimum, middle performance maybe, but certainly not optimum
[Image: ref-sig-anim.gif]

my bad but it should still run moderately lag free i believe right? @refraction other specs are

It's pcsx2 1.4.0
i'm running windows 10
and i'm using the ISOs.
I haven't changed any of the emulation settings. The ee cycle rate i've kept at 0 and the VU cycling rate as well. Rest of those settings are default.
As for the plugins im using the sse2 gs plugin and the linuz iso plugin everything else is def as well.

The plugin config as so:
adapter is nvidia geforce 920m not my intel integrated gpu.
renderer is set on direct 3d9.
No interlacing
8 bit textures are active.
Rest are on default.

Also how much the gs plugin effect the simulation. I was using the AVX plugin even though my hardware doesnt fully support it (i think) till recently.
After all these settings im getting around 49- 52 fps during gameplay. During a few cutscenes it boosts to 200% because i've switched turbo mode on.
I don't think i've missed anything else. Looking forward to your insight Laugh aaaannnd getting back to my games after lol
In order to help you further with your problem, please make sure the following are all provided.
  • What games you are trying to play

Thank You.
(06-28-2016, 03:43 PM)maneesh1995 Wrote: my bad but it should still run moderately lag free i believe right?
For most games. Keep in mind that some games will not run at full speed regardless of system.

(06-28-2016, 03:43 PM)maneesh1995 Wrote: renderer is set on direct 3d9.

Also how much the gs plugin effect the simulation. I was using the AVX plugin even though my hardware doesnt fully support it (i think) till recently.

Renderer should be Direct3D11 (Hardware). You should probably set interlacing to "Auto", but that does not affect speed.

Your processor supports AVX. Switch it to AVX2 for a minor speedboost. I don't think PCSX2 will let you switch to a plugin that your computer does not support.
(06-28-2016, 06:25 PM)Alakazander Wrote: Your processor supports AVX. Switch it to AVX2 for a minor speedboost. I don't think PCSX2 will let you switch to a plugin that your computer does not support.

According to that his CPU does support AVX2, so he's fine. However AVX will provide little to no speed boost, it is only software mode it really affects.
[Image: ref-sig-anim.gif]

i see. as for the games i've tried emulating.

ace combat unsung war: minor lag 53 fps
cod5: lags like a crazy ass mofo 30 fps
devil may cry 3: minor lag50 fps
full spectrum warriors: crazy lag30 fps
ratchet and clank 2: minor lag 50 fps
tmnt battle nexus :fine 55 fps
final fantasy 12: pretty good 58 fps

i'm kinda surprised that ff12 runs well even though it's kinda heavy. That confuses me even more.
I switched to AVX2 and tried them out the fps dropped by around 10 frames per game *sigh*
I also noticed something else. Even when pcsx2 is running my processor only uses 1.6 ghz when it can use upto 2.7ghz. Do you think i should overclock it?
(06-29-2016, 08:19 AM)maneesh1995 Wrote: i see. as for the games i've tried emulating.

ace combat unsung war: minor lag 53 fps
cod5: lags like a crazy ass mofo 30 fps
devil may cry 3: minor lag50 fps
full spectrum warriors: crazy lag30 fps
ratchet and clank 2: minor lag 50 fps
tmnt battle nexus :fine 55 fps
final fantasy 12: pretty good 58 fps
those results look quite normal seeing what kind of CPU you have (except R&C2. it's surprising you're getting only "minor lags", unless you play it in hardware mode, of course)
Quote:i'm kinda surprised that ff12 runs well even though it's kinda heavy. That confuses me even more.
It's not. This game isn't very demanding
Quote:I switched to AVX2 and tried them out the fps dropped by around 10 frames per game *sigh*
but did you use software mode and set extra rendering threads to 3 ?
Quote:I also noticed something else. Even when pcsx2 is running my processor only uses 1.6 ghz when it can use upto 2.7ghz. Do you think i should overclock it?
Overclocking a mobile CPU is a good idea if you want to turn it into a frying pan. Otherwise, don't do it.
It's not surprising since your CPU is able to crank up one core to 2.7 ghz when the others are inactive.
Since pcsx2 uses 2 or 3 cores, that won't happen.
i tried it on software mode and set the threads to 3. R&c ran on 30 fps then lol. Was funny to watch nothing else lol.
actually the cpu can be boosted to 3.2 ghz i'm not planning to hit that threshold though. Maybe keep it around 2.7 ghz. Not sure what to do.