overclocking benifits
Antec Sonata III 500 Black Mid Tower Case

Gigabyte GA-MA790GP-DS4H
AMD Phenom II X4 940 Black Edition 3.0Ghz 8MB cache
4GB Corsair DDR2 (2x@GB) TwinX XMS2 DDR2 PC2-6400 (800) 240 pins Non-ECC Unbuffered Low Profile1GB Sapphire HD 4870
1TB Western Digital Cavier Green 7200RPM
Thermalright Silver Arrow Cooler

Thats my rig ATM^^.. nothing OCed. I was just wondering, would an OCC to say 3.2ghz or 3.4ghz provide that much of a better experience over the 3.0 for emulating?

I'm trying to evaluate if I should OC or not and the risk if there are any. it would be my first time ever OCing!

Sponsored links

Overclocking a Black Edition cpu isn't hard to do but I doubt you'll see a tremendous performance increase from 3.2 to 3.4 if you would. The only risks you would run into would be your temps or overvolting your cpu if you aren't careful.
You might see a small difference if CPU is where your emulation is lags. Seriously, you should safely overclock otherwise it is dangerous for your pc Tongue2 Excl Make sure your cooler is working fine and can take high temps.
[Image: recodersignature2.png]
I wouldn't bother OCing if the gain will be less than 20% (3.6GHz in your case). Also I wouldn't touch a CPU if it's relatively new. OCing is not that risky but if your CPU craps out after like a month of use you're screwed out of warranty service.
Black Edition cpus mean you can overclock them, like *k on ivy and sandy bridge. So yeah he can overclock that to possibly about 3.6 tops on air. However by that point he's gonna get some voltage issues and run the risk of burning that thing out.

I had a Phenom II X3 720BE that was 2.8 and I OC'd it to 3.4 safely on air before I'd start to have voltage issues. I replaced it with the cpu in my signature, and the performance change was night and day.
CPU: i5 3570k @ 4.2 | RAM: 8GB DDR3 | GPU: 1GB Radeon HD5550 @ Stock
Running: 1.1.0.5764
Black Editions can go way higher on air, but he needs a very expensive aftermarket cooler, what I understand with my 980 BE I could go up to 4 Ghz with stock cooler, but not going to do that, since I've got issues with my cpu atm and waiting for the money for my aftermarket cooler. but on the other hand since it's a 3 ghz I don't think he'll get to 3.6 on stock cooling though.
Not in my experience, though if I paid more than my 212+ I'd go straight to watercooling instead.

With me, I hit a voltage wall before I ever hit a temperature one. (safe voltage limits)
CPU: i5 3570k @ 4.2 | RAM: 8GB DDR3 | GPU: 1GB Radeon HD5550 @ Stock
Running: 1.1.0.5764