pcsx2 destroyed my laptop
Well... every PC is eventually doomed. How quickly really depends on how hot it gets. I've had a laptop (With a pretty nice, for its time, ATI graphics card that I used to use extensively) last for 5+ years (Still going, though onboard NIC is dead, original HDD died, and DVD drive only reads CDs now. Other than the NIC, issues started in the last 2 years. Have a new laptop, and gave it away, but it's still running fine, other than the mentioned issues - oh, and battery is dead, but that's not unusual).

Apparently large numbers of the nVidia 8400Ms and 8600Ms (Which the original poster has), in particular, had severe heat issues, and quite a few notebooks with them were even recalled because the issue could kill the laptop. I wouldn't be too concerned about it, unless you have one of those two graphics cards.

Sponsored links

if you dont feel safe with your laptop get a laptop cooler (not one of those crappy cheap ones that only cool 2 degrees)

try antec notebook cooler 200 Smile
its one of the more expansive ones but it cools ~10 celcius in load
[Image: 1454055.png]
(09-16-2009, 04:21 AM)Xellon Wrote: You guys are scaring me. Are you telling me that if I buy This Alienware M17x Laptop, and If I play lots of games on it, it won't last too long??

Also, how can you tell if a laptop is MXM?

Edit: now I'm depressed. But I'm still determined to buy a powerful laptop

Solutions

EDIT: bellunojin, I am glad you started this thread. I had no idea about all this. Unsure

...well, Alienware laptops are ment for gaming, so I think you won't encounter problems that can encounter ppl with "standard" laptops, don't wory, it'll do just fine xD

Have a nice playing with it, cheers...
AMD FX-8350
4x 4GB DDR3 2400MHz
AMD Radeon R9 Fury X
Phew....
Windows 7 - Asus G73jh-a1 - 17-720qm @ 1.6 GHz (2.8 GHz)(2.4ghz)(1.73ghz) - ATI Mobility Radeon HD 5870 @ 700/1000 (sometimes oc to 800/1100) - 8 gig ram
What about a dell xps 1530? It has a 8600m. But recently dell came and replaced the mother board that had it, like a month ago.
a 8600M GT is not very good and overheats very fast
protip: DONT BUY LAPTOPS FOR GAMING OR EMULATION

whatever you might think, whatever you might heard, LAPTOPS ARENT MADE FOR GAMING NOR EMULATION NOR THINGS THAT REQUIRE POWERFUL COMPUTING! Laptops are electronic MS Words and other similiar simple applications, laptops are busines computers designed for busines tasks or bureau work and they cant even compare with desktop computers and their posibilities.

Yeah yeah i know laptops are cool and neat, but that doesnt matter.
Check my profile for hardware/software and games i played on PCSX2.
laptops arent all that slow.

it depends on how much your willing to spend on it.
but yes anything that works with less than a 9600M GT can be seen as utter crap

my laptop aint that bad since crysis runs medium well and far cry 2 at 1600x900 with physx max and other settings some high some very high
and it wasnt that expansive.. 1300 euro when i bought it, 1100 now
It's not about speed, because many laptops are quite fast and capable, it's about dealing with all the heat that is generated. This is why laptops will always be inferior to desktops for gaming or other super intensive applications.
www.twitch.tv/krazytrumpeter05
Want to stream your games? Let me know and I can help you get set up with Open Broadcaster Software.
my laptop has quite good airflow, once again it comes down to how much your willing to spend on it since i could even overclock slightly without additional laptop cooler

had it at 2x 2.2GHZ and 10% GPU overclock before i bought laptop cooler