pcsx2 & god of war problem, please help!
first of all yes, i have read the 'Will PCSX2 run fast on my computer?' thread. and according to that god of war should work on my system. anyway, i have i7 2630qm @2.0ghz (but it goes up to 2.9) laptop, gt 540m, 8gb of ram ddr3. i am using pcsx2 0.9.9 (5151), gsdx sse4 or sse2 ver. 0.1.16 (16.00) dx9\dx11. the game runs smoothly at 60fps even without all the speedhacks maxed out, after 5 to 10 minutes the fps drops to 30 and stays like that for a minute or so, after that it goes back to 60 and back to 30 and so on... my laptop is set to high performance mode, pcsx2 runs with the gt540m not my integrated graphics card, i even set pcsx2's priority to high in task manager, i tried other releases of pcsx2 including the 0.9.8 (4600) with different gsdx plugins and nothing, no matter what i do the fps drops. any idea what could be the problem? i'm starting to think that the cpu is working too hard and it slows down so that my laptop doesn't fry...please somebody prove me wrong

Sponsored links

Quote: i have i7 2630qm @2.0ghz (but it goes up to 2.9)
I guess your problem is here.
I think your CPU is switching between turbo mode & normal mode.
when it's in normal mode, 3 cores are used (if your are using MTVU hack, but I think you do) and when in turbo mode, you reach 2.9 Ghz on 1 core only, but it disables the other ones.
if you have a way to disable turbo mode, give it a try...
CPU : AMD Ryzen 7 3800X
Mobo : Asus PRIME B450-PLUS
GPU : NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070
RAM : 16 Go
thanks for letting me know Laugh...well if anybody here knows how can i disable turbo mode, please let me know
@jeselvein
i think you can't disable Intel's turbo boost,HT is even worst.

@kex_92
*are you running on batteries?
*is your CPU temeperatures is neutral?
*2.0~2.9Ghz range is not good for GOW needs roughly 4.0Ghz boundary.
Main PC1:i5-4670,HD7770(Active!)
Main PC2:i5-11600K,GTX1660Ti(Active!)
PCSX2 Discord server IGN:smartstrike
PCSX2 version uses:Custom compiled build 1.7.0 64-bit(to be update regularly)
smartstk's YouTube Channel
(04-15-2012, 02:06 AM)tallbender Wrote: @jeselvein
i think you can't disable Intel's turbo boost,HT is even worst.

@kex_92
*are you running on batteries?
*is your CPU temeperatures is neutral?
*2.0~2.9Ghz range is not good for GOW needs roughly 4.0Ghz boundary.

*lol, not running on batteries Smile)
*well, i think the temperature is a bit higher than usual
*ah well, i guess il play some prince of persia instead, since i just got a usb controller, might as well play some good ol hack n slash games Laugh

ps. i found a video on youtube with smb who has the same cpu as me, and by the looks of it, and by the things he told me in the comments he can run the game with no problems.

here's the link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZlACU7JU9c4
thats not real he might using GsDx's recording features "F12" it's a encoder based recording DOES NOT evolved the actual pcsx2 speeds.

if you want to know about this use the "F12" during emulation select coder hit "OK" to start and stop by hitting "F12" twice
the audio encoded is located in the main pcsx2 directory as "recording.wav"
the video encoded is located on w/c you "save as" in the target directory path.

One more thing:
during recording you may suffer slow down but if you playback that you have recorded it it's not gonna be the same FPS as the actual emulation including the audio.

i'm bet on it it's the abused of the GSdx recording function...that is not the real actual FPS and addition he DID NOT display his
EE%,Interlacing,fps reading and etc on the gsdx window bar he is just fooling out to other ppl...
i dislike that. on youtube thing
i have a i5-2410m in my rig, while i have not played God Of War yet, i use ThrottleStop to prevent my i5s turbo from randomly clocking down (just put multiplier to "turbo" and click turn on)+^_^+ throttlestop can be used for OC as well, but i don't think your computer will allow it
it also provides faster temp checks then Core temp and don't be worried if your i core mobile hits 80°C (the mobile versions seem to be built to run that hot after i did some research), but remember it'll throttle down no matter what if it hits 90°C as a failsafe Intel built in+^_^+ so remember to keep your laptop very well ventilated, and maybe get a laptop cooling pad+^_^+
Signature purposefully left blank.
by using throttlestop be sure your PC is already old enough or the warranty has already expired as i read this.

"Use of ThrottleStop to bypass these throttling schemes is at your own risk and can result in permanent damage to your power adapter or computer or both which may not be covered by your warranty."

my i5 desktop's warranty has expired since jan-2012 w/c means free-for-all
maintain/troubleshoot PC personally w/o brining your PC to the repair shop in case of PC trouble.

@chik'tikka

can you inspect his posted youtube links if it's for real or just mentioned my last reply.
(04-15-2012, 07:44 AM)tallbender Wrote: by using throttlestop be sure your PC is already old enough or the warranty has already expired as i read this.

"Use of ThrottleStop to bypass these throttling schemes is at your own risk and can result in permanent damage to your power adapter or computer or both which may not be covered by your warranty."

my i5 desktop's warranty has expired since jan-2012 w/c means free-for-all
maintain/troubleshoot PC personally w/o brining your PC to the repair shop in case of PC trouble.

@chik'tikka

can you inspect his posted youtube links if it's for real or just mentioned my last reply.

well the poster of the vid said "I'm currently using PCSX2 09.9.5037. With GSdx 4915, SPU2-X 4782. With the GSdx I use Direct x9 with texture filtering on. Native well..depends on your card of course. And I have both speed hax on 2." As far as as i know, and have read in other threads, the 2630qm can pull those speeds so it might be legit. It also looks like the video poster is using EE at 2 and VU cycle stealing at 2, so i don't know what sort of glitches he's getting.
As for throttle stop, second gen sandy bridge i core mobile processors cannot be Overclocked by any means so the most Throttlestop will do for "my" laptop is maintain 100% voltage, bus and keep it at turbo (for me that's 2.6 GHz) (i've heard rumors of Asus republic and alienware laptops allowing OC on 2nd gen i core mobiles) but i would not let my Laptop go above 81°C if i was the OP, i don't know how much heat his mobo could take+^_^+
i guess i need a laptop cooling pad then, nothing i do seems to work, and when the fps drops my laptop is actually really hot, so i'm thinking that the cpu is overheating, its the only explanation.

edit: yeah its definetely overheating because both my cpu and gpu were at 89-90 degrees when the slowdowns occured.