pcsx2 is a bad PSone emulator
When I tried to load up Final Fantasy VII, it ran entirely too fast, but the music seems to be at the right speed.  Also, jpg pictures like the character portraits and title screen don't show up at all.  Why can't someone just incorporate pcsxr into pcsx2 for psone mode?

Sponsored links

beacuse it's not what pcsx2 project aims at ?
because it would be uselesss ?
because we aren't making a frontend, but an emulator ?
Because it would probably be illegal ? (have to check this out)

IIRC, FF7 didn't work well either on PS2, i think you should give a try on your real console just to check out
CPU : AMD Ryzen 7 3800X
Mobo : Asus PRIME B450-PLUS
GPU : NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070
RAM : 16 Go
(01-24-2019, 06:49 AM)Mahir85 Wrote: When I tried to load up Final Fantasy VII, it ran entirely too fast, but the music seems to be at the right speed.  Also, jpg pictures like the character portraits and title screen don't show up at all.  Why can't someone just incorporate pcsxr into pcsx2 for psone mode?
PS1 backwards compatibility is still considered extremely experimental and should be considered unusable until proven otherwise. PCSX2 was first built with zero intention of having PS1 backwards compatibility, and it's implementation of PS2 hardware therefore was not built to readily function in PS1 mode. What support does exist will work in some cases but not all, and there are plenty of problems, a lot of which revolve around the PS2's GS and how it behaves for a PS1 game, various DMA channels, some memory card and controller signal issues, some recompiler accuracy issues, and possibly some disc access issues too.

An unofficial list of PS1 game compatibility is being sort of maintained here: https://forums.pcsx2.net/Thread-PSX-Mode...ility-List

As for merging a PS1 emulator, that is not going to happen. PCSX2 is, as jes said, not a frontend, but an emulator project.

(01-24-2019, 07:07 AM)jesalvein Wrote: IIRC, FF7 didn't work well either on PS2, i think you should give a try on your real console just to check out
FF7 isn't on the list for backwards compatibility incompatible games (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Pl...yStation_2) (also not sure if you mean incompatible, or just problematic, if the latter, then you're probably on to something), and is marked as ingame on the unofficial compatibility thread, but it is noted to have various audio/graphics problems.
I thought the PS2's I/O chip IS the PSone. AFAIK, PS2 runs PSone games through straight hardware, the GS doesn't function in PSone mode?
(01-24-2019, 11:47 AM)Mahir85 Wrote: I thought the PS2's I/O chip IS the PSone.  AFAIK, PS2 runs PSone games through straight hardware,
not completely, you didn't have a full PS1 built in a PS2, actually.
Quote:the GS doesn't function in PSone mode?
not well ATM.
and it's not top priority either since there are a lot of good PS1 emus out there.

PS2's backwards compatibility was basically quite buggy, though. emulating it perfectly would probably result in something so-so.

That said, never tried FFVII on a PS2 since id on't have it. does it work correctly, or do you get glitches ? Can you try on your PS2 ?
CPU : AMD Ryzen 7 3800X
Mobo : Asus PRIME B450-PLUS
GPU : NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070
RAM : 16 Go
It runs entirely too fast, as if I had the fast forward button pressed, but the music seems to play correctly. Plus most images in menus are gone,as well as the title screen. Runs perfectly on a fat PS2. My mistake, the PS2 only contains the PSone CPU, not the GPU. The PS2 still has to emulate the PSone GPU using the GS. I guess this is the problem, gsdx is still quite new to emulating the PSone GPU.
(01-24-2019, 12:19 PM)Mahir85 Wrote: It runs entirely too fast, as if I had the fast forward button pressed, but the music seems to play correctly.  Plus most images in menus are gone,as well as the title screen.  Runs perfectly on a fat PS2.  My mistake, the PS2 only contains the PSone CPU, not the GPU.  The PS2 still has to emulate the PSone GPU using the GS.  I guess this is the problem, gsdx is still quite new to emulating the PSone GPU.
There's ALOT more to it than that, as far as pcsx2 is concerned we'd be emulating an emulation with the GS. 
Recompiler issues like pandubz mentioned and the frame issues could be a mountain of things.

One last thing other then the we're not a frontend, the reason why we wouldn't borrow pcsxr like that is because we're trying to emulate a ps2 including the faculties it included to run ps1 games. That means that on purpose not all ps1 games will run correctly or run at all according to how the ps2 would function.
You could try messing with GS settings under emulation settings to slow down the game and Timestretch under SPUX to keep the audio intact with emulation speed.
PC Specs:
PC: HP Omen 15 dc-0051nr laptop
CPU: Intel i7-8750H (2.2 GHz up to 4.1 GHz)
RAM: 16 GB
GPU: Nvidia GeForce GTX 1060 Notebook (6 GB)
Storage: 256 SSD PCi NV M.2+1 TB HDD
Need the latest GIT/development build? Click here!
PSX on PS2 in PCSX2 (lol) is all about emulating the details of the machine.
We want to have the supporting hardware to be documented, and ideally working in emulation.
Since at least some games are working, that means most of the emulation must be good, but please don't expect a nice gaming experience.

It would be silly to use PCSX2 to play PSX games, since the low level approach means your PC has to do tons of basically useless work.
Just use any of the top PSX emulators instead, if your goal is good PSX emulation.
The PCSX2 implementation is really more of a tech demo.