pcsx2 settings for ffx
just thought i'd share my pcsx2 settings for ffx. they seem to be full speed 99% of the time. areas where there were lag before no longer have lag now I.E. when casting demi, when casting fire, and when casting hellfire. however, i haven't made it to the Mi'hen highroad yet and that's where it usually lags the most for me, so i don't know if that's been fixed yet. i have an a6 3420m @ 2.3 ghz and 8 gb of RAM and i use version 1.1.0.

for the video plugin i use GSdx 5334 Drect 3D11 (Hardware), no interlacing, 2x native, texture filtering is checked, Logarithmic Z is grayed out but checked, uncheck allow 8 bit textures because that causes lag in menus, alpha correction is unchecked and grayed out, enable HW hacks is checked. for the hw hacks i only use 2x anti aliasing and skipdraw is set to 1. (i think the skipdraw is what got rid of lag for the previously mentioned spells)

for audio i use SPU2-X r4600m and for Interpolation i use 1 - linear, 1x - normal reverb volume, module is 2 - DirectSound, latency is 150, synchronizing mode is TimeStretch, and audio expansion is stereo.

under EE/IOP i use recompiler on both emtionengin and iop. for round mode i use chop/zero and clamping i use full because that fixes backwards facing characters.
for VUs i use microU Recompiler for both vu0 and vu1. round mode is chop/zero and clamping is extra because that fixes loading screens that don't load.
GS is all default, as well as GS Window except that i made the window size 1366x768.
For speed hacks i used all recommended and EE Cyclerate is set to 2 and i use MTVU.
I don't use manual game fixes.

Hope this helps someone...
Ryzen 3700X
RTX 2070 Super
32Gb DDR4 RAM 3600Mhz
500gb NVME SSD
2tb NVME SSD
735w 80+ Bronze PSU

Sponsored links

Thankfully FFX is light on resources required to emulate it.
OS: Linux Mint 17.2 64 bit (occasional Antergos/Arch user)
(I am no longer a Windows user)
CPU: Intel Pentium G3258
GPU: Nvidia GTX 650 Ti

(05-26-2013, 11:24 PM)DaTankAC Wrote: Thankfully FFX is light on resources required to emulate it.

yeah but i still had problems with those certain spells and the loading screen after the sending in kilika. i'm about to be in mi'hen highroad too. hope it does okay.

[edit] it's running 50-60 on mi'hen highroad. lot better than the 30-40 that i used to get
Ryzen 3700X
RTX 2070 Super
32Gb DDR4 RAM 3600Mhz
500gb NVME SSD
2tb NVME SSD
735w 80+ Bronze PSU

FFX accepts well VU cycle stealing, may be better having it active instead skip draw. You may not need EE cyclerate speedhack for this game.

PS: Despite the new PCSX2 builds seem working without active deinterlace methods (I believe it is doing something even in none), you may want to have Blend bff to prevent the small but perceptible shaking with certain games with deinterlace=none, unless you find it too blurry for your taste.
Imagination is where we are truly real
(05-27-2013, 12:27 AM)nosisab Ken Keleh Wrote: FFX accepts well VU cycle stealing, may be better having it active instead skip draw. You may not need EE cyclerate speedhack for this game.

PS: Despite the new PCSX2 builds seem working without active deinterlace methods (I believe it is doing something even in none), you may want to have Blend bff to prevent the small but perceptible shaking with certain games with deinterlace=none, unless you find it too blurry for your taste.

i've tried all sorts of settings, including vu cycle stealing and it didn't help much. skip draw has shown the most improvement so far, with the exception of mtvu. nothing else really boosts it that much. i don't like using vu cycle stealing anyways 'cause it causes glitches like teleporting characters that really bother me. i'd much rather stick with skip draw set to 1.
Ryzen 3700X
RTX 2070 Super
32Gb DDR4 RAM 3600Mhz
500gb NVME SSD
2tb NVME SSD
735w 80+ Bronze PSU

(05-27-2013, 12:59 AM)sandbox242 Wrote: i've tried all sorts of settings, including vu cycle stealing and it didn't help much. skip draw has shown the most improvement so far, with the exception of mtvu. nothing else really boosts it that much. i don't like using vu cycle stealing anyways 'cause it causes glitches like teleporting characters that really bother me. i'd much rather stick with skip draw set to 1.

If it works for you, then it's OK, just remembering that skip draw do what it says, it skip entire layers of the drawing. PS: No wonder it may be working for you since it is probably not rendering the effects those spells generate.

About VU cycle stealing, it is kind of all or nothing hack (in respect of possible desynch). It works forcing EE to send data to the VUs whenever the VU needs it (and the VU is intimately tied with the game's graphics), if EE is not overloaded, the "steal" of cycles does not affect the general synch, otherwise it could cause lags indeed, since EE would not be able to keep the game's flow. VU operations are all float point and vectors (wait, that's true?), so it is a tad more demanding than EE emulation to the PC CPU.

EE cyclerate underclocks the virtual speed the real PS2 CPU should run, this cause general slowdown in the game as a whole and becomes source of possible synch issues (the sound is the first to reflect it or is just immediately evident).

So, where I have to chose between EE cyclerate and VU cycle stealing I opt for the second, of course depending on the game.
(05-27-2013, 01:20 AM)nosisab Ken Keleh Wrote: If it works for you, then it's OK, just remembering that skip draw do what it says, it skip entire layers of the drawing. PS: No wonder it may be working for you since it is probably not rendering the effects those spells generate.

About VU cycle stealing, it is kind of all or nothing hack (in respect of possible desynch). It works forcing EE to send data to the VUs whenever the VU needs it (and the VU is intimately tied with the game's graphics), if EE is not overloaded, the "steal" of cycles does not affect the general synch, otherwise it could cause lags indeed, since EE would not be able to keep the game's flow. VU operations are all float point and vectors (wait, that's true?), so it is a tad more demanding than EE emulation to the PC CPU.

EE cyclerate underclocks the virtual speed the real PS2 CPU should run, this cause general slowdown in the game as a whole and becomes source of possible synch issues (the sound is the first to reflect it or is just immediately evident).

So, where I have to chose between EE cyclerate and VU cycle stealing I opt for the second, of course depending on the game.

alright, so i'll put ee back to 0 and put vu on 1
Ryzen 3700X
RTX 2070 Super
32Gb DDR4 RAM 3600Mhz
500gb NVME SSD
2tb NVME SSD
735w 80+ Bronze PSU

(05-27-2013, 01:38 AM)sandbox242 Wrote: alright, so i'll put ee back to 0 and put vu on 1

Wait, don't take it for granted, but you could try, probably will not see much of difference and actually could eliminate whatever still existing slowdown.

The fact that skipdraw is helping performance (instead being used to correct emulation glitches) points directly to the GPU is the main problem in there, more than the CPU. during the actual play the CPU is probably being overclocked (turbo).

PS: since going to use the VU cycle stealing... try it at 2 and remove the skip draw, this may help, if not, well, the problem is the GPU is having problem to render the spell effects indeed and there is not much to do in this case. Native may look even worse than lacking specific and sporadic effects.

PS: For what I know, FF games accept VU CStealing nicely and should work fine with it at 2. or even with it at 2 and EE at the center as well (That's because FF games aren't too much demanding on EE and are much more on the VUs, their beautiful graphics tell it already).
(05-27-2013, 01:44 AM)nosisab Ken Keleh Wrote: Wait, don't take it for granted, but you could try, probably will not see much of difference and actually could eliminate whatever still existing slowdown.

The fact that skipdraw is helping performance (instead being used to correct emulation glitches) points directly to the GPU is the main problem in there, more than the CPU. during the actual play the CPU is probably being overclocked (turbo).

PS: since going to use the VU cycle stealing... try it at 2 and remove the skip draw, this may help, if not, well, the problem is the GPU is having problem to render the spell effects indeed and there is not much to do in this case. Native may look even worse than lacking specific and sporadic effects.

PS: For what I know, FF games accept VU CStealing nicely and should work fine with it at 2. or even with it at 2 and EE at the center as well (That's because FF games aren't too much demanding on EE and are much more on the VUs, their beautiful graphics tell it already).

i've tried both and there wasn't a difference. i've actually just turned both of them off and it still plays full speed. and you're probably right about the gpu 'cause i have integrated graphics. and my cpu is overclocked, not turbo boosted. besides, from what i've seen, the skip draw has done more good than harm. it didn't remove much detail, and it actually removed the detail that i didn't like, which was the blurriness in battle because of that effect they added that makes it look like you're seeing double. i didn't notice anything important missing until i set it to 2. right now it's playing perfectly and looks perfect as well. i can't tell a difference in how the spells appear either, so i'm gonna stick with it.
Ryzen 3700X
RTX 2070 Super
32Gb DDR4 RAM 3600Mhz
500gb NVME SSD
2tb NVME SSD
735w 80+ Bronze PSU