plan to stop supporting MSVC 2010/2012
I'm not sure what you mean. Windows computers often have multiple copies of MSVC redist simultaneously - one of the banes on Windows. Are you talking about using VC13 feature set in VC12 maybe? I dunno if you can do that.
[Image: XTe1j6J.png]
Gaming Rig: Intel i7 6700k @ 4.8Ghz | GTX 1070 TI | 32GB RAM | 960GB(480GB+480GB RAID0) SSD | 2x 1TB HDD

Sponsored links

I'm not exactly a dev or anything (though I aspire to be), but it seems like the project either needs to use a newer version or not. Using ifdefs is fine, except the code wouldn't benefit most of the userbase (since few compile their own, much less compiling something other than vanilla).
We could set the buildbot to automatically set anything needed to use the newer code, but then any devs using older compilers wouldn't be able to troubleshoot bugs very effectively since they may have been introduced in the newer code. Basically, if the project introduces any moderately significant changes using newer language features, then I imagine it would make it more of a pain than it is worth.

Maybe I'm not understanding stuff correctly, but if I am, it seems like it would most benefit the project to either go full out and drop support or simply not write code that anyone wants in core anytime soon with newer language features.

In the end though, I'm not a dev, so my opinion matters little.
using Ifdefs are little awkward in a program though, it does present itself to be a nice workaround. I don't see the difference in using them and not using them.
We're supposed to be working as a team, if we aren't helping and suggesting things to each other, we aren't working as a team.
- Refraction
Well this thread is not about ifdef (ifdef can depends on compiler version). Ifdef is only a temporary solution to experiment the new feature.

C++11 features are split in 2 parts, the language itself (compiler) and the standard library (runtime). Some features of the runtime depends on the compiler but not all features.

Anyway, if it impacts only XP dev, it is maybe time to upgrade.
So you decided to ifndef c++11?
Yes. Anyway C++111 doesn't work so well. Even VS2013 doesn' t support it correctly.
There is a free version of Visual Studio 2013, the Express edition. The only problem I can see with this is if there are some things that are very different, like the build configuration process.
Express has been replaced with Community.
C++11 is supported on windows XP too (since VS2012)

The only unsupported functionality should be C++ AMP, which I don't believe pcsx2 use.

Anyway, there's now a discussion for VS2015 support
So I dedice to drop MSVC 2010

Various PR uses C++ feature not supported by MSVC2010. I think we wait enough time. It is really time to upgrade.