problem with command line switches
I just created a thread in Tools/Applications/Homebrew which may help with this discussion.

http://forums.pcsx2.net/Thread-CLI-Launcher

I think it addresses many of the issues with launching from the CLI (e.g. through XBMC).

Please let me know your thoughts!

Sponsored links

(11-05-2011, 08:53 PM)bzim Wrote: I just created a thread in Tools/Applications/Homebrew which may help with this discussion.

Thanks Smile
While this seems an interesting tool, it assumes there's a good CLI to start with. This thread deals with improving the command line interface of pcsx2 itself, so I'd say your tool is complementary to this thread, but not an alternative solution to the problem this thread tries to solve.
(11-05-2011, 11:01 PM)avih Wrote: Thanks Smile
While this seems an interesting tool, it assumes there's a good CLI to start with. This thread deals with improving the command line interface of pcsx2 itself, so I'd say your tool is complementary to this thread, but not an alternative solution to the problem this thread tries to solve.

I completely agree. Any improvements that can be made to the CLI will benefit everyone much more in the future. I created the CLI launcher to compliment the built in CLI of PCSX2, as well as bridge the gap while there are still a few shortcomings.

In addition, I wanted to make it easier for people to manage their individual configs when launching a game from an external app such as XBMC/Advanced Launcher. Advanced launcher, for example, has options to pass the game path and/or directory to the emulator, along with static switches. However, I needed a tool that would help me manage multiple dynamic config directories.
(11-05-2011, 07:52 PM)Rezard Wrote: But a custom location for the memory card folder can be within the ini. Just configure in the MemoryCard Manager the desired location of your folder (same for savestates, plugins, etc in the Plugin/BIOS Selector). With the ini goes the location(s). Smile

That method is clumsy at best. For the majority of games I use the exact same configuration with the minor exception of wanting each game to have its own memory card (sure it wastes a little space but it makes things so much more convenient), this means I need a new ini for every single game instead of just the select few that need special configuration. Making all those additional ini files would have been a real pain if I hadn't wrote a quick script to do it for me.

Having the ability to use individual ini files are great but the average user doesn't want to mess around much (well the average user would be pretty clueless with them anyway) and those of us launching through other software (like advanced launcher for xbmc) may not even be near or have good ways to interact with the computer.
(11-06-2011, 12:18 AM)musera Wrote: For the majority of games I use the exact same configuration with the minor exception of wanting each game to have its own memory card (sure it wastes a little space but it makes things so much more convenient)...

I do the same thing. One memory card per game.

(11-06-2011, 12:18 AM)musera Wrote: Having the ability to use individual ini files are great but the average user doesn't want to mess around much (well the average user would be pretty clueless with them anyway) and those of us launching through other software (like advanced launcher for xbmc) may not even be near or have good ways to interact with the computer.

In my opinion, ini files (and ultimately, a single config folder) are very flexible and convenient, because specifying a single folder in CLI is much easier than several individual switches. This keeps the CLI simpler and more consistent. I can use PCSX2 to configure each game and then stuff them in my game's folder (where I keep fanart, thumbs, etc). The 'average' user won't ever want to mess with text files in the first place (or anything that isn't built into the gui).

(11-05-2011, 12:41 PM)avih Wrote: Memcards specifically need all to reside at the same folder IIRC, and therefore cannot (easily) use full separate path for each...

Having a memcard switch wouldn't be a bad option, though. Avih, how difficult would it be to specify a memcard folder (e.g. --memcardpath="<some path>") that mounts the first available memory card (or even up to two) on load?