problems playing an iso
hey, i need a little help, i have learned a lot by reading the forums, and i searched for this problem i am having, but i didnt get any results.
my problem is that i ripped an iso from a game called persona 3 fes, my computer is not very strong to begin with so i was getting about 18-20 fps by playing it straight from the disc. now, however that i have ripped it to my computer it runs at about 10-13 fps, do i need to reconfigure anything? have i done something wrong? or do i need to just stick to running from the disc drive? thanks for your help.

Sponsored links

Are you mounting the ISO to a virtual drive such as Daemon tools? Also, what are your specs? The PCSX2 requires some at least decent processing power. At best, if you want it to work really well, the more beefy your system the better your chances. I have also read in the forums that raw CPU power is a big plus. (If I remember correctly)

I have not had any luck playing a PS2 game straight from disc. That is most interesting. I thought even most DVD drives couldn't read them or had troubles doing so. I have been wrong before though.

Honestly enable some speed hacks, use the beta or latest version (the beta is actually pretty darn stable). I don't know what to tell you, not enough information to really give advice. Sorry I couldn't be of more help.
i dont know what a virtual drive is, im using the linuz iso configuration. i dont know where to find my specs, i know that i have a dual core 1.6 each i think. i was considering doing some overclocking (after doing some serrious research and talking to some friends who know how to do that.) i have a few games with me, and the one that runs the best so far is devil summoner 2. but again i am playing straight from the disc, if i could get the iso running proper, i wouldnt have much lag at all.
i downloaded daemon tools lite, i am going to try to use it, though i am not sure how. i found out some of my system specs
windows xp
home edition
version 2002
service pack 3
intel atom
cpu n270 @1.6 ghz
798 mhz,0.99 gb of ram
(08-28-2009, 09:37 PM)chancea2007 Wrote: i downloaded daemon tools lite, i am going to try to use it, though i am not sure how. i found out some of my system specs
windows xp
home edition
version 2002
service pack 3
intel atom
cpu n270 @1.6 ghz
798 mhz,0.99 gb of ram

You don't have to get Daemon Tools. He was asking because it's possible for it to interfere with the normal operation of PCSX2, but if you don't even have it then it can't be an issue.
"This thread should be closed immediately, it causes parallel imagination and multiprocess hallucination" --ardhi
oh, well then i will uninstall it, i tried my fastest game on the disc drive as an iso, and i saw no real difference. does anyone know why this might be?
not all games run noticably faster as isos, but many will have shorter load times at game startup or level change e.g., often fmvs are played considerably faster (if your cpu manages to emulate them that fast) and some games loose hiccups, e.g. before certain effects are displayed. and as isos have no real disadvantage, there's absolutely no reason to not run your games as isos from your hdd.

but isos cannot generally make your emulation go faster. if your cpu/gpu is not up to it, then your fps will suffer, no matter if from disc or from iso. and your system is weak for pcsx2, a low clocked mobile single core cpu without sse4.1 support (it's treated as a dual core because of its hyper threading support), an integrated gpu chipset and no dx10. sorry, but even with the help of speed hacks and other possible optimizations you probably won't get playable fps in any game. try the latest beta pack of pcsx2 and plugins from this forum anyways and experiment a bit with the speed hacks and the frameskipping.
CPU Core [email protected] | GPU Nvidia Geforce GTX 570 | RAM 8GB DDR-3 1600MHz CL9 | OS Win7 Ultimate (x64) SP1
EMU PCSX2 v1.1.0 r5645 | GS GSdx SSE4 r5632 | SPU2 SPU2-X r5559 | PAD LilyPad r5403 | CDVD cdvdGigaherz r5403
(08-29-2009, 06:18 AM)zero29 Wrote: and your system is weak for pcsx2, a low clocked mobile single core cpu without sse4.1 support (it's treated as a dual core because of its hyper threading support), an integrated gpu chipset and no dx10. sorry, but even with the help of speed hacks and other possible optimizations you probably won't get playable fps in any game. try the latest beta pack of pcsx2 and plugins from this forum anyways and experiment a bit with the speed hacks and the frameskipping.

im fairly certain my system is a dual core, i think i read that in a system file somewhere. i dont know if you this is what you mean, but i downloaded dx 10 a few days ago. i dont know what an integrated gpu chip set is, is that something that you buy and have installed by a professional? i will try beta, i experimented with speed hack and frame skipping, and it is working just a little better, but the difference is noticeably smoother. thanks for the help and advice you have provided so far
The Atom N270 is a single-core low-power CPU meant for netbooks. I know the Aspire One line uses the N270 (typing on one now Laugh) but they certainly aren't meant to run 3D games of any form.

Integrated gpu means you don't have a separate piece of hardware that takes care of various graphical things. Most laptops are built this way for cost reasons, but it means it's horrible to game on compared to a laptop with a non-integrated (called discrete) gpu. This isn't something that can be added easily or for anything approaching a reasonable cost.
"This thread should be closed immediately, it causes parallel imagination and multiprocess hallucination" --ardhi
oh, ok, well the part where i said that i felt like i had a dual core processor is because some where on my computer it said something along the lines of 2 cpus 1.6ghz each. thats as close as i can remember to what i read, but as you can tell i dont know much about computers so you are probably right about there only being one. so if i overclock (again, i dont know how, but i have friends that do) will it make much of a difference in my playing experience? thanks again