procesors
(10-25-2009, 06:52 PM)stefano Wrote:
(10-25-2009, 06:49 PM)Sythedragon Wrote:
(10-25-2009, 06:37 PM)stefano Wrote: what about playstation 2 procesors if he has they,could we put them to run on pc like pc procesors....?
Because PC CPU's are much much faster.

Why then we can not run ps2 games with pcsx2 like on real ps2....?

Because it's emulation.
AMD Phenom II 940 @ 3.6GHZ, 4GB PC8500 @ 1100MHZ, 4870x2 @ Stock.

Sponsored links

This is (obviously) not a real world example... but just to give a basic understanding of the principals of emulation and just how complex it is.

Let's say for a certain PS2 equation, that the PS2 can use multiplication, while a PC can not and neither can use numbers larger than a single digit...

4 x 5 x 3 = 60 The PS2 basically only has to do 3 calculations to get the result of 60 for this equation.

9 + 9 + 9 + 9 + 9 + 9 + 6 = 60 The PC had to do over twice as many calculations to get the same result of 60.

That's very very verrrrrry basic. Now let's add a bit more complexity to it. The sound processor is expecting that every calculation done for this instruction be a multiple of 5, if it's not the system hangs.

The PS2 equation is still good at 4 x 5 x 3 = 60 since each part of the equation is still a multiple of 5.

The PC equation would have to be reworked however...
9 + 6 + 5 + 5 + 5 + 5 + 5 + 5 + 5 + 5 + 5 = 60 which is 11 calculations instead of the PS2's 3 calculations.

As I said from the start... This isn't a real world example, not even close. But it gives you an idea what rules the PC has to bend to, to get the same results the way the PS2 expects them and why it takes more work to do so.
[Image: 2748844.png]
(10-25-2009, 07:08 PM)Koji Wrote: This is (obviously) not a real world example... but just to give a basic understanding of the principals of emulation and just how complex it is.

Let's say for a certain PS2 equation, that the PS2 can use multiplication, while a PC can not and neither can use numbers larger than a single digit...

4 x 5 x 3 = 60 The PS2 basically only has to do 3 calculations to get the result of 60 for this equation.

9 + 9 + 9 + 9 + 9 + 9 + 6 = 60 The PC had to do over twice as many calculations to get the same result of 60.

That's very very verrrrrry basic. Now let's add a bit more complexity to it. The sound processor is expecting that every calculation done for this instruction be a multiple of 5, if it's not the system hangs.

The PS2 equation is still good at 4 x 5 x 3 = 60 since each part of the equation is still a multiple of 5.

The PC equation would have to be reworked however...
9 + 6 + 5 + 5 + 5 + 5 + 5 + 5 + 5 + 5 + 5 = 60 which is 11 calculations instead of the PS2's 3 calculations.

As I said from the start... This isn't a real world example, not even close. But it gives you an idea what rules the PC has to bend to, to get the same results the way the PS2 expects them and why it takes more work to do so.
Besides the fact it'd be in binary lol.

5 would be 101
If only I had put some sort of disclaimer in my post... something that said that it's not a real world example and that it was a very basic and broad showing of the complexity and interdependency that is the PS2 hardware... -sighs- Maybe I'll learn my lesson next time.
(10-25-2009, 06:30 PM)echosierra Wrote:
(10-25-2009, 05:55 PM)Elwin Wrote: 8.2 ghz is world record

That was a P4 using large amounts of liquid nitrogen Tongue
AMD got a Phenom II X4 to 6.9Ghz using liquid helium, so it's not like dual cores can't be hit ridiculous clocks as well. But the costs are astronomical, you can't run a machine like this for very long unless you have large amounts of cash to burn.

So stefano if you've got access to several gallons of liquid helium, you can get good speeds on a single-core on most games.

Yes i know Tongue And btw Phenom can go to 7,1 ghz with that.
Intel Dual Core E5200 @ 3,5ghz /gigabyte GF9500GT/2 GB RAM / ASRock P45XE/ Corsair CMPSU-400CXEU
(10-25-2009, 07:13 PM)Koji Wrote: If only I had put some sort of disclaimer in my post... something that said that it's not a real world example and that it was a very basic and broad showing of the complexity and interdependency that is the PS2 hardware... -sighs- Maybe I'll learn my lesson next time.

You didn't get my point...

I knew yours wasn't a real world example, I was just giving an elaboration in how the numbers would be calculated.. Glare
If j'overclock not (just use the turbo boost of i5), knowing that to use a 75% emulation (Dolphin, PCSX2) and I want 60 FPS constant in KH1, 2 FFX, XII, DBZ BT3, DRQ, Naruto, One piece ... (a 1680 * 1050 reso with HD5770)

Should I take I5 or 965 II phenom?

I tested the PCSX2 on config (E5200 2GHZ) and 60 FPS I have lag problems ... and different fps drop has some scenes ... (attenuated after disabling cycle saw ...)

I said that I do not use frameskip ^ ^.

(Neither overclock at the moment) and the importance I attach to PC games, other software is minimal (not that AC looks in the balance between the i5 and 965).

I also understand that GSDX used 4 core, but only for such DX11 - Software mode.

I noticed some interesting youtube links:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bHthQ3A7HRw

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pjW5oL6P-i4

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QeoLdWGrOKY

This is real?

The core i5 peak at 3.2 GHz in turbo boost two hearts on a 3.4 GHz 965 ...

Yet with a 3.2 GHZ phenom on video they seem to have good results: /

Someone has already tested, to tell me (at least to finish the game in question)

My machine is mainly for this wonderful emulator, and his sidekick ... Dolphin (which I thank the creators)

Thank you for answering me ^ ^.
I haven't played the anime games you listed, but my x3 BE at 3.7ghz is close to the 3.4ghz and I get perfect speed in FFX and FF12. Again, unfortunately I can't test the others.

Dolphin on my system is pretty hit or miss depending on the game. Many GCN games don't even run full speed... but that may just be some bad settings, I can't seem to get many games running full speed with it.
60 fps with no lag on FF12 high reso?

you had a lag nabreus example?
or boss fight?

Of a 55-45 fps drop? : /

or are you in the game: D.

Do you use speedhacks?

From what I understand, Dolphin is GPU dependent ...

I was replaying Zelda, Pokemon... the various remakes of games being released on GC ...
I actually tried the latest SVN just a few minutes ago, and there has been a massive improvement in speed since I last tried it. I only tried the two GCN games I had on hand dumped (wind waker and Sonic Battle 2) but both played full speed now with no slowdowns. Guess I just hadn't been keeping up with releases.

When I say perfect speed in FF12, I mean 55-60fps 100% of the time. I never had a single slowdown and I used widescreen (16:9) mode to fill my monitor. Absolutely nothing slowed it down for me.

As for speed hacks... I generally play around with them for different games so I don't remember right off the top of my head... I know I used idle loop fast forward, and probably 1.5x cycle hack. That's my general settings for all games. I don't think I used anything besides that and I'm not sure it's necessary, I just always run all my games with those 2 hacks on unless they cause problems with the game.