ps2->pcsx2 save naming issues
Hey, I'm trying to get my saves transferred from my PS2 to my computer to run on PCSX2. I've got it mainly figured out, but I've run into a problem with a couple of saves.

The name of the files and folders for a couple of games are unreadable for windows, so I can't copy or utilize them from off my USB device. I also can't attempt to rename them because my windows 7 is just so amazing.

Here's what a couple of the folders look like, just for reference:
BASLUS-20969S.L.A.I.
and another:
BASLUS-00626<TOD-01>

and the error message when trying to open them is
_foldername_ is not accessible. The filename, directory name, or volume label syntax is incorrect.

Like I said, attempts to rename fail using windows. I tried opening a cmd window and renaming from there, but either I'm using the wrong syntax or it returns the same error -- it just tells me the syntax was wrong.

Any suggestions?

Sponsored links

And with what are you copying the sames from your ps2 to your USB.
It it is uLaunchELF,use copy(on the save inside the memory card)and psuPaste inside the usb.

I have more than 130 saves on my 64mb card and I can copy every single one of them and use it with pcsx2
I was using uLaunchelf. I manually selected all and R1-> copy, then R1->paste onto the usb device. On the PC, I reconstituted the files using PS2 save builder and mymc. So I take it I did things the long way.

I already disassembled my PS2 and buried it in storage, so before I dig it back up, are you saying if I use this psuPaste thing it'll sidestep the naming issues?

Specifically the problem is, that S.L.A.I. save has a period at the end and the Tales of Destiny folder I posted uses < >, which renders them unusable in windows.
Yeah, you just do a psu paste, then import with mymc.
[Image: gmYzFII.png]
[Image: dvedn3-5.png]
(09-02-2014, 07:18 PM)rickets987 Wrote: I already disassembled my PS2 and buried it in storage, so before I dig it back up, are you saying if I use this psuPaste thing it'll sidestep the naming issues?

Yes it will...ule keep that in mind that the files may not be readed under windows if they are using such names and rather than using such names,he adds _ (this allplies only to psu saves...when you use psuPaste)

For example if I don't add a Japanese font into ule,when I try to backup my FFX Int save,ule will use name like this FF10 ____ [01] Within Sin

Also,some games lose data when you just copy=>paste(psupaste makes 1:1 copy of your save)
Alternatively, if you don't want to dig out your PS2, grab a Linux LiveCD of your choice and rename them that way. It doesn't care about characters that Windows doesn't like.
Awesome, psuPaste worked well for my PS2 saves at least. My Tales of Destiny 2 saves (PS1 save) still have the same problem. They look like this:
BASLUS-01355.TOD2>A<
BASLUS-01355.TOD2>B<

which is just... welp. Time to Linux I guess.

edit: actually, those were taken from a ps1 memory card, and they ran fine off of a ps2 memory card, so it's not a problem

Out of curiousity, what kind of data has been known to be lost when using copy->paste?