questions on upscaling/high internal res
I was wondering, is a high internal res more CPU or GPU dependent? i'm upgrading my CPU soon, but some games run a bit slower when set to high internals, Will the CPU fix that? Or is it GPU based?

Also, i asked this before but i still don't quite get it, is it best to use a multiple of actual game resolution? (like Dark cloud is 640 x 448) Multiple of output resolution? (1280 x 960 in my case) or as i call it a rounded resolution? (1024 x 1024)

i was told it's best to use a multiple of the original resolution (wasn't told if it was game native of tv native) but i read of people using 1020 x 1020 or 1688 x 1688 hence my confusion..

And will there ever be a way to fix the graphical corruption as the emulator progresses when upscaling? Or not? cause i can deal and don't mind to much, But in FFX the menus annoy me Tongue
Intel Core i7-8700k @5ghz
G.Skill 16GB DDR4 @3600mhz
GeForce GTX 1080 8GB
Windows 10 x64

Sponsored links

It's GPU dependent, similar to PC games really in that when you scale up the res you are giving the GPU more work to do, which is why you used to see a lot of CPU benchmarks where the resolution was often 640x480, cutting out the GPU and concentrating purely on the CPU.

As for multiples of the actual res, I personally always use a multiple of the game's own internal res, mostly because of the ingame text often not looking quite right if it's scaled disproportionately. Although, a lot of the time, when actually gaming, it's hard to really spot a difference.
Another thing, if you have a powerful GPU is that you can set the Internal Res much higher than your Monitor's res, this gives you a nice super sampling AA effect that affects the whole image, and not just the edges like what edge-based MSAA would do.

As for corruption, well you do often get some. As for fixes in the future, well thats not for me to say, a dev might pop by and tell you.
Intel E7500 @ 4.00ghz 400 fsb / Asus P5QL Pro / 4Gb Kingston RAM / PNY nvidia 9800GT 512Mb / Creative X-Fi Music 24 / Vista 64 SP2/
1) GPU dependant, more specifically size of memory and memory bandwhidth in some cases.

2) It's really a trial and error thing, multiple of the native resolution seems to work best for small glitches but in my case I dont like it because it would either be too high or too low for my tastes (like a 640x448 game would be x2: 1280x896 which is low in vertical resolution and I dont like that, next one would be 4x: 2560x1792 which would render most of my games slow and 3x isnt really a multiple to use as it wouldnt scale well), some people like to use their monitor's resolution as output as well.

3) the 1020x1020 1200x1200 and such resolutions is more because some games are picky when using higher resolution and not even multiple resolution goes well with them, (however which this games what you need is either the vertical or horizontal resolution to match so you can change the other at taste, so like 1200x2048 for tekken I think and grandia III in DX9 doesnt work well in cutscenes with anything higher than 512 vertical).

4) maybe you'll have to wait and see Tongue
Core i5 3570k -- Geforce GTX 670  --  Windows 7 x64
Weird, if i set dark cloud to a high internal it will slow below 100%, but if i run it in native then it's fine.. And my GPU plays pesona 3 and FFX at twice the output (4 times native) resolution without any lag.. (beyond the normal for Persona 3)
Intel Core i7-8700k @5ghz
G.Skill 16GB DDR4 @3600mhz
GeForce GTX 1080 8GB
Windows 10 x64
I see nothing weird in that, each game is different and the demands are different.
I can run ICO, Spy vs Spy, Scooby Doo all at 3x internal res at 60fps, or 50fps if the 60hz option isn't available.
Yet, GT4, SOTC, Wipeout Fusion, all struggle on a few tracks or in a few places to run a constant 60fps, and thats only 2x internal res.
Intel E7500 @ 4.00ghz 400 fsb / Asus P5QL Pro / 4Gb Kingston RAM / PNY nvidia 9800GT 512Mb / Creative X-Fi Music 24 / Vista 64 SP2/