slower fps despite newer hardware
Greetings. I am having a problem with a speed issue in various games, but specifically I'll pick on Dragon Quest 8 (others include FFX-2, Armored Core 2, etc). I have recently made some changes to my computer. Here are my latest specs.

Dual boot -- Ubuntu 12.10 Quantal beta 32bit PAE & Windows 7 Home 32bit PAE
Nvidia GTX 550 TI (304.43 Ubuntu supplied proprietary driver)
8GB DDR3 RAM
AMD FX4100 stock 3.6 GHZ O/C'd to 4.4 GHZ
Gigabyte GA-78LMT-S2P motherboard
Cooler Master really big fan

Attached are 2 screenshots showing different PCSX2 versions...
For some reason my fps has slowed to around 30fps using both versions. PPA screenshot doesn't show any maxing out of values yet old SDL 0.9.9 version shows GS maxing out at 100%. Using MTVU hack makes all games worse. EE and VU speedhacks don't work at all. I tried my disc and iso from disc.

My old harware consisted of Nvidia GeForce 210 and Intel E5400 (stock 2.7 GHZ) O/C'd to about 3.1 GHZ, yet with EE and VU speedhacks I was able to play FFX-2 and DQ8 around 55fps. I'm just wondering why with newer hardware I'm getting worse performance. Yes, I'm aware that the Windows version does tend to work better (I've checked, it really does) but I prefer to support Linux as much as possible.

Thanks in advance for your time.

Attached Files
.gz   DQ8_Quantal_pcsx2-0.9.9.png.tar.gz (Size: 960 KB / Downloads: 380)
.gz   DQ8_Quantal_PPA.png.tar.gz (Size: 1.000 KB / Downloads: 352)

Sponsored links

I am not going to click that link, post images in other format
Lost in the Vastness of Mugen.
that's the magic of bulldozer architecture.
It's known to perform very badly under pcsx2, and in general gaming too...
CPU : AMD Ryzen 7 3800X
Mobo : Asus PRIME B450-PLUS
GPU : NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070
RAM : 16 Go
Yep, I can bet that the 3.1Ghz Intel is faster than the 4.4Ghz AMD.
Ouch. That bad, huh. At least Windows version actually improved for me. I guess I will just have to deal with it or try to sell my CPU/motherboard on Ebay. Tongue
Question though...SDL version showed GS maxing at 100%. That's still Bulldozer's fault? I though maxed GS refered to the GPU?
Sorry. Disregard previous question. I sometimes forget that Linux is pretty much SW mode only. In this case it's all about the CPU I suppose. Smile
I know that on Windows at least, the SDL option was very slow. That was on top of the already slow software renderer.
Another issue i see with your setup is that your using 32-bit OS's, w/ 8GB of RAM. under a 32-bit system only `3.5 GB will b useable of that 8GB. so upgrade to a 64-bit OS & u shuld see some improvement. tho like other ppl have said, the Bulldozer series apparently has issues, idk since i dont have that series & have not played under that yet.
I know it says PAE, but i have used that stuff as well & never quite seem 2 get the same speeds as native 64-bit things. maybe its just my laptop there, but yea, maybe try a real 64-bit system instead of a 32-bit w/ PAE
I have used 64bit before and there was no difference. I went to 32bit with PAE because I found multiarch to be a pain when it would want to install ???:i386 yet remove half of my other 64bit associated libraries.

Over the past week I have tried to sell my motherboard/CPU/fan on Ebay as a combo due to fan being HUGE and a real hassle to sell separately. In another thread on HW/SW subforum it was recommended to get any Sandy Bridge (even Pentium) to help specifically for Linux SW mode due to pure dual-core muscle. My stuff did not sell so I am stuck with Bulldozer FX-4100 for now.

I made a comparison between Windows and Linux version. My old Intel dual-core did better on Linux SW mode and my Bulldozer does better than my Intel on Windows SW mode. Windows seemed to respond (much) better to extra SW threads, getting an extra 25fps on any game from 2 extra threads. 2 extra threads on Linux got me only 4fps. Possibly it's due to synchronzation issue? I've also noticed MTVU has a negative effect when GS is cranked up past 90% which pretty much always happens when in SW mode (when I'm in Windows or Linux).

So my solution is clear...play on Windows Sad
until Linux version continues to catch up. Smile Gregory works hard on Linux issues and I've noticed over the last year the big gains from Linux but for now I guess I need to be on Windows for best playability.

Again I must say that Bulldozer is not great yet not bad and most games play at 100%...on Windows...for now.