sse stuff
Does anybody knows how much exactly is fps gain for using sse 4.1 rather than ssse3 ? Example Final Fantasy X,Final Fantasy XII,God of war or shadow of collosus???

Sponsored links

It isnt as simple as that. Each version of SSE doesnt bring improved versions of instructions over its predecessor, it simply provides a new way of doing something, which in some cases can be advantageous, for example the BLEND/MERGE instructions in SSE4 cuts down about 5 instructions to 1 on the VU Recompilers, but it only works in that one scenario.

So unless we can find a use for it, it doesnt go in.

In short answer to your question, not a massive amount, but it depends what the game is doing and if it is using code which can take advantage of SSE4, else it provides zero increase.
[Image: ref-sig-anim.gif]

(07-01-2010, 10:39 AM)Game Wrote: Does anybody knows how much exactly is fps gain for using sse 4.1 rather than ssse3 ? Example Final Fantasy X,Final Fantasy XII,God of war or shadow of collosus???

Less than the gain from upgrading the CPU; still if you can chose between the two the choice is clear (at least theoretically).

SSExyz, 3DNow and all these fancies defines complexes instructions able to perform faster (sometimes in a single clock pulse) than using blocks of common instructions to achieve the same results. Since the number of such functions increases with the version some gain exist every time they are used, till you should not expect outrageous gains.

The CPU architecture is more important, it is what makes an i7 outperform older models even with slower raw clocks. For the same architecture the one that has more those functions performs slightly better for the same clocking, still and yet it depend on their actual usage.
Imagination is where we are truly real
So, for processors that supports up to SSE4.1, is it recommended to always use SSE4.1 builds (GSDX?)? or are there scenarios where lower SSE version build might perform better on some cases?
From testing over the years, it's generally faster to use SSE4.1. Seems those instructions are best for our needs.
SSSE3 is a mild help for GSdx, there were a few games where it helped some ~5% Tongue2
So basically i dont have to worry if my CPU doesnt support the SSSE3 or SSE4.1 instructions,cuz theres almost no difference Tongue
I'm inactive on this, dedicating most of my time to osu!
Ok,thanks for explanation.