suggestion for website
(07-15-2016, 11:31 AM)Bositman Wrote: It's a miracle it works at all actually

I wouldn't call that working. Maybe ban the area that the spam is coming from for a while.

Sponsored links

(07-16-2016, 05:49 AM)K.F Wrote: I wouldn't call that working. Maybe ban the area that the spam is coming from for a while.

Quite hard when they use proxies and botnets.
[Image: ref-sig-anim.gif]

Is there not a different plugin we can use to catch the languages? I really think that's the best and most efficient way to deal with this. Here is why:

1. Blocking by IP is useless mainly because of what refraction said. The "Purge Spammer" we use to deal with them already does an IP ban too. Zone IP bans just cause too many issues most of the time.

2. Requiring mod approval for the first X posts is a bad idea because of what Nobbs and I said about turning people away from the forum, and also it increases mod workload a lot.

3. 90% or more of the major spammers we encounter post in some manner of East Asian language. Since we have a English only rule anyway, there is no issue caused by blocking such languages.

4. There won't be any issues with false positives either, because of the same reason as #3.

So yeah, I think detecting and blocking them by language is the best option if we can do it.
[Image: XTe1j6J.png]
Gaming Rig: Intel i7 6700k @ 4.8Ghz | GTX 1070 TI | 32GB RAM | 960GB(480GB+480GB RAID0) SSD | 2x 1TB HDD
Will changing the security question help?
The current plugin is supposed to detect language but apparently it doesn't work and no there is no other such plugin
[Image: newsig.jpg]
(07-16-2016, 12:25 AM)Nobbs66 Wrote: Horrible idea. There are enough new users a day to make that a horrible idea. if anything, it'd just cause people to get pissed off and never even bother coming here.

Would it be that annoying to request the first post to be moderated. (with the note to explain that it is done to avoid spamming).

How many new account by day ? How many spammer ? My mailbox will soon explode Wink

Edit: of course, I'm not against an automatic solution that work.
Quote: Requiring mod approval for the first X posts is a bad idea because of what Nobbs and I said about turning people away from the forum, and also it increases mod workload a lot.

Requiring mod approval only for the first post seems good in my opinion. Maybe push it to the moderator approval list only if it meets some kind of requirement ? (maybe if the post has higher amount of text .. etc)

EDIT: FWIW, There seems to be too much spam posts lately...
That's huge work and it's just gonna make real people wait tons of time before posting. There is no way to do anything like marking it as waiting for moderation using the character length etc
[Image: newsig.jpg]
I noticed this security question:
Quote:PCSX2 is Free. What is its price? Maybe zero?

I don't think it is a good question because bots might use 0 as the default value for required fields.