suggestion for website
We've been getting hit quite a bit with spam lately.. I know I have reported several threads myself as spam.  Would it be ridiculous to require 10 posts before you can post without moderator approval or something like that?  That way if its a bot, you see the spam and can ban the account before it ever makes it to the forums (where browsers may get suckered into a malicious link, or other, less nefarious things...)
amd tr 1950x                                                 amd ryzen 5 2500u
asrock x399 taichi                                         amd vega 8 
XFX Radeon rx570                                       16gb ddr 4 2400 ram
32gb gskill ddr4-3200                                   1tb nvme ssd
Debian Bullseye                                           480gb sata ssd
Custom loop water cooled                           HP envy x360
nzxt 340 case

Sponsored links

It's bothering me that we are supposed to have a filter on that blocks any non English posts but it does not seem to be working. That would really solve this. I think requiring moderator approval is a bad idea. That always turns me off of forums and I just don't return.
[Image: XTe1j6J.png]
Gaming Rig: Intel i7 6700k @ 4.8Ghz | GTX 1070 TI | 32GB RAM | 960GB(480GB+480GB RAID0) SSD | 2x 1TB HDD
even if it was in english, it would still be an issue..
amd tr 1950x                                                 amd ryzen 5 2500u
asrock x399 taichi                                         amd vega 8 
XFX Radeon rx570                                       16gb ddr 4 2400 ram
32gb gskill ddr4-3200                                   1tb nvme ssd
Debian Bullseye                                           480gb sata ssd
Custom loop water cooled                           HP envy x360
nzxt 340 case
Yeah but the thing is those posts SHOULD be getting caught. The big spammers tend to post in chinese or korean so we figured by filtering those languages we'd stop the spammers. I mean we do have a rule that says "English only" so it's not like it would be an inconvenience for users I think. But yeah it's not working.
Gaming Rig: Intel i7 6700k @ 4.8Ghz | GTX 1070 TI | 32GB RAM | 960GB(480GB+480GB RAID0) SSD | 2x 1TB HDD
It's not working at all. An all Chinese post I made just got through. I thought it would require certain symbols or use of English text to bypass it, but the filter doesn't seem to be on at all.
Yeah no, it's not currently functioning in the least. It seemed to break when we upgraded mybb. May not be compatible with the new version.
The spamalyzer plugin we are using to automatically mark posts under a certain threshold of spam rating as waiting moderation ( http://mybbhacks.zingaburga.com/showthread.php?tid=1006&page=8 ) was never compatible with mybb 1.8 and was only made so by some customizing. It's a miracle it works at all actually
[Image: newsig.jpg]
Setting registration to Mod Approval doesn't seem like a bad idea. It slows the traffic in the Support section; and we can delete spammers before they are fully registered.
(07-15-2016, 11:54 PM)CK1 Wrote: Setting registration to Mod Approval doesn't seem like a bad idea. It slows the traffic in the Support section; and we can delete spammers before they are fully registered.

Horrible idea. There are enough new users a day to make that a horrible idea. if anything, it'd just cause people to get pissed off and never even bother coming here.
[Image: gmYzFII.png]
[Image: dvedn3-5.png]
(07-16-2016, 12:25 AM)Nobbs66 Wrote: Horrible idea. There are enough new users a day to make that a horrible idea. if anything, it'd just cause people to get pissed off and never even bother coming here.

This. It would also increase the mod workload by a crapton.