the best Intel CPU for PCSX2?
thinking about switching from AMD to Intel for PCSX2, specifically because the .hack games run without issue in software mode using on the CPU, but mess up shadows in hardware mode using the GPU.

So what would be the best Intel CPU to purchase in order to get the most power out of software mode? I believe PCSX2 only supports 4 threads? So anything past quad core would be a waste?

Nevermind, it only supports 2 cores. So a dual core i7 clocked as high as possible would be cheapest but most beneficial? If i7 come in dual core...

Sponsored links

Quote:specifically because the .hack games run without issue in software mode using on the CPU, but mess up shadows in hardware mode using the GPU.
No matter what CPU you have, that will not change since it is a plugin bug. Nothing to do with your hardware.

GSdx in software mode can use up to 4-5 threads (it can use more but there is no point since you get no speed up after ~ 5 threads are assigned to it) so if you also use the PCSX2 SVN with the MTVU speed hack you can use 4 (from GSdx SW mode)+3 for PCSX2 EE,VU1 and GUI= 7. Anyway what matters most is clock speed, so a nice quad core clocked at 3,6 Ghz or so would work great with most games you throw at it.
I highly recommend the i5 2500K since it is blazing fast and can be safely overclocked to 4 Ghz with 2 clicks (literally)
[Image: newsig.jpg]
yeah, I understand it's a plugin bug, and seeing as its very unlikely the plugin will ever be fixed the only option is to run in software mode. I have a phenom ii x4 945 which is the best CPU that will work with my motherboard. So only real way to get the .hack games working correctly is a new motherboard and cpu. Your suggestion would definitely be the i5 2500k? I'm only looking to play the .hack games, nothing else. 1080p @ full speed or what not. Is there anything cheaper that would run at full speed?
I dunno, i am play the .hack G.U series.. i am using an i7 920 overclocked to 3.8, and even if in towns or running around the fps is 60, during fights, with spells and ability going off, or during avatars battles, the fps go down to 40-50, against the big optional bosses or in the arena cant even stay at 60 while nothing happen... I dunno how big is the differnce between an old model i7, and the new ones, maybe is big enough.. i am interested too, to know how can compare an i5 2600k, or a i7 2700k compared to my cpu OC?

Faster stock clock, lower heat, a die shrink i think, (i know it will be when Ivy comes out) runs cooler, clocks higher, and anywhere from a 30% to 50% clock for clock speed increase. (the last one is just what i am told from reading OCN, not fact like the other ones)
Intel Core i7-8700k @5ghz
G.Skill 16GB DDR4 @3600mhz
GeForce GTX 1080 8GB
Windows 10 x64
New Ivy won't come out till march next year Smile
Uhh.. they come out Q2 of this year. (2012)
Intel Core i7-8700k @5ghz
G.Skill 16GB DDR4 @3600mhz
GeForce GTX 1080 8GB
Windows 10 x64
(02-15-2012, 02:45 PM)StriFe79 Wrote: New Ivy won't come out till march next year Smile

You meant April, this year.
CPU: Intel Core i5-2500K [email protected]
RAM: Corsair Dominator DDR3 2x4GB 1600Mhz CL9
GPU: Gainward Radeon HD4850 GDDR3 512MB @675/2100