this iso crop tool
i don't wanna stretch the search with vague search terms. this thing is that some ps2 dvds have a padding area to get the read mechanism further into the radius of the disc for read speed. on iso it's not needed tho. so...

the odd question. anybody, knows a 'new' tool (or this particular 'old' tool), that can crop those unused sectors of iso images? there's been one around on the forum here, some years ago. i may want to crop some isos i have around now.

Sponsored links

Not sure about an ISO cropping tool personally, but you can get a tool called MaxCSO which will compress your ISO and of course make quick work of any dummy files.

You can grab it from here: https://github.com/unknownbrackets/maxcso/releases
[Image: ref-sig-anim.gif]

okay. i wasn't aware of cso files. seems to work without much cpu load. ratio is okay too. a quick quarter for those lil buggers.

dmc2 4.37 to 1.23. neat.

thx. Smile
Yeah apparently we added CSO support a while back and I missed it lol. But I've been using that for a while, not had any issues yet Smile

Oh if you wanna CSO all your games, I wrote/copied this handy batch file to go through them all, it deletes the originals afterwards, so you can change that if you want. Just bung the .bat and the maxcso.exe in your ISO folder

Code:
@ECHO OFF
FOR %%I IN (*.iso) DO (
  maxcso --block=16384 "%%I" && del "%%I"
)
[Image: ref-sig-anim.gif]

There's also still the old NTFS folder level compression.
Compression ratio is comparable and processing overhead is minimal.
hey rama. it's been a while? always a pleasure to greet. Laugh

and... okay. yeh. far from the crop tool... i remember linuz' dvd plugin had some sort of compression for isos. i didn't use it back in my slow cpu days. but now it seems to cope with it. all good. i'd call it 'thread 4'. good stuff. Biggrin
You don't really need a "crop tool", if you are going to use the image on pcsx2
Removing the empty space or the dummy files will give the same or even better results when you compares the image

For example,I think there was one game that normally(because false LBA)was above 4gb but when compressed or I remove that empty space,the images became less than 300mb

Placing data at the end of the disk makes it easier for the laser to read it because the disk don't need to spin so fast and you can store more data there which means less laser movement but that makes small game to require as much space as big ones when you make an image of it
(01-14-2018, 08:45 AM)vsub Wrote: For example,I think there was one game that normally(because false LBA)was above 4gb but when compressed or I remove that empty space,the images became less than 300mb

Placing data at the end of the disk makes it easier for the laser to read it because the disk don't need to spin so fast and you can store more data there which means less laser movement but that makes small game to require as much space as big ones when you make an image of it

i know that. that's exactly what i tried to do. what tool do you use to remove that empty space? i'm not messing with discs alot, hence i have none to optimize this. and... yes... i got some isos of 4.37 gb full size but the plain data on it is just 2.1 gb. no dummy files or anything on it. i dunno if it's padded or not (i didn't bother tryna hex read it - i guess it is padded since winrar starts monitoring the decompressed size after half+ traversal - 0x00 pad compression), and i coulda cropped the start pad and/or the end of the disc, making it effectively just those 2.1 gb uncompressed large. cso compression makes it even smaller tho without much cpu time when used. seems fast on the fly compression. that solved that quick and more asap (as small as possible).
For my PS2 hdd I was using one of those,all of those or comination of them....CDVDGen,Apache,IML2ISO,XPert
But for pcsx2,there is no point in using them.
On my pc I have plenty of free space no I never did anything other than NTFS compression when I know that the data on the image is actually a lot smaller