what games are demanding and what are more mid range compatible?
Maybe there's a list somewhere but I can't find it, so I'll take an informal survey. What games do you think require very high CPU mhz number, and what games seem less demanding than that? I know there's hundreds of titles, but what are the popular ones you play the most that come to mind? Thanks!

Sponsored links

based on dualcore processors (amd is phenomII comparison and intel, core 2 duo)

very high cpu power (3.6ghz for intel 4.0 ghz for amd)
also recomended high gpu power (8800gt *should* be fine with most games)

dragonquest 8
granturismo 3 and 4
shadow of the collosus
ico
sly cooper series
valkyrie profile 2 silmeria
rogue galaxy
okami
dragonball z budokai tenkanchi 1, 2 and 3
tekken
metal gear solid series
soul caliber 2 and 3
devil may cry series
shin megami tensei digital devil saga 1 and 2

mid range (3.0 ghz for intel 3.5 for amd)
decent graphic card required (8600gt for example)

dragonball z budokai 3
final fantasy 12
final fantasy 10-2
tales of the abyss
persona 3
persona 4

low end (2.5ghz intel core 2 duo 3.0ghz for amd)
(same graphics as midrange)

kingdom hearts 1 and 2
final fantasy 10
odins sphere

really low end (2.0 ghz for intel 2.5 for amd)
gpu - 8600 gts

disgaea 1 and 2
growlancer
gradius
any 2d jrpg actually if your graphic card is the same perormance of the baove named card

there are way more games that i have played but to much of a hassle to remember Tongue
hope this list helps you Wink
I really appreciate the list, thanks!
Does anyone else feel like adding stuff to the list? It helps a lot of people out who are new to the emu to share your experience.
Are the DDS games really that demanding?
I have a new computer. AMD Phenom II X6 1090T with an HD Radeon 5770 1GB.

I'll agree with Rogue Galaxy & Dragon Quest VIII. Those 2 games make this new comp sweat. Though I play them by x2 scaling with 1x antialasing. Oh, Xenosaga the first game is pretty demanding.
Zone of the Enders: The 2nd Runner is the king of kings in terms of demanding.
Dragonball Z: BT3 played perfectly on my C2D 2.8Ghz and GT 230M (about a desktop 8600GT). I don't think SotC is really that demanding, it just may seem that way because VU Cycle Stealing is required for full speed (according to my 4.9Ghz). It, too, played pretty good with my laptop. I also recall having pretty decent speed with Devil May Cry 1 & 3 (like 50fps), but it's been a while since I played those.

Other games that have played good or great on my laptop, and should be fine on the mid-range (native may apply):
- Dark Cloud
- Castlevania: Curse of Darkness
- DOT hack Part 1: Infection
- God Hand
- Max Payne
- Onimusha 2
- Resident Evil 4
- Return to Castle Wolfenstein
- Romancing Saga
- Timesplitters 2
- Warriors Orochi (FPS varies a lot; Intel over 3.0Ghz is ideal)
- XIII

I'd like to mention that some of these took no effort at all to achieve full speed on with my Core 2 Duo 2.8Ghz. They may possibly qualify as a bit less demanding on the CPU. This would be God Hand, Wolfenstein, Timeplitters 2 and XIII. I suppose FPS games may be easier because there's less rendering/animation from the player's character.

Also, don't forget there's 3 different kinds of "demanding" with PCSX2.
CPU demanding [like GT4 & Tekken],
GPU demanding [like DQ8 & Star Ocean 3] (which itself varies by resolution),
and of course the kind of demand that a game which has minimal compatibility with current methods of emulation can face [like certain parts of Valkyrie Profile 2 or Tales of Legendia].

A game like DQ8 could possibly be played fine with a more mid-range CPU and a higher range GPU. Haven't done enough testing with my new rig, so I'm still getting the specifics on different games figured out.
Most games aren't really demanding anymore with speedhacks. With my Q6600 2.4GHZ stock i can play kingdom hearts at 100+ fps ico, sotc, tenkaichi with at least 60+ fps. Haven't really tested FF series but in FFX i can get 100fps in the startup cutscene and before the blitz ball game don't know about during battles. I can play Tekken 5 at full speed but with crappy sounds. Most people that say you need 3.5GHZ+ 2 core CPU to play games talk from their memory of older pcsx2 versions
(02-27-2011, 07:47 AM)orchlon Wrote: Most games aren't really demanding anymore with speedhacks. With my Q6600 2.4GHZ stock i can play kingdom hearts at 100+ fps ico, sotc, tenkaichi with at least 60+ fps. Haven't really tested FF series but in FFX i can get 100fps in the startup cutscene and before the blitz ball game don't know about during battles. I can play Tekken 5 at full speed but with crappy sounds. Most people that say you need 3.5GHZ+ 2 core CPU to play games talk from their memory of older pcsx2 versions

Really? With recommended speedhacks enabled, I get just over 100fps (without framelimit) on my laptop for KH2 (maybe 1 runs even faster). However, games like Devil May Cry and Okami run at around 50 fps, making them "playable" but not enjoyable. Specs are in the sig. Maybe I should dump SotC and see if I can run it.
HP dv7 laptop :: Intel Core i5-560M @ 2.66 GHz :: ATI Radeon HD 5650 :: 4GB RAM :: Windows 7 64-bit
[Image: sig.gif]
I tried Sly Cooper 3 and without speedhacks I got 45 fps max, while with speedhacks 52-60 fps mostly. Though there are times where it drops to 40 fps but I read that the game had lags on a real hardware as well.

I read one should use software mode for the game but it works in hardware mode too with enhanced graphics and more or less the same speed.

(specs i3 560 3.3 Ghz, GTS 450, XP 32-bit)