which of these computer parts should I replace?
Sorry if these posts arent allowed but I really need help. I .looked at the compatibility thread but it looks like my specs are ok and Im still getting massive xslowdown on all games. tehy start out ok but then they go down to 30 fps and it goes into slow mo. heres what I have

3 gb of ram (says its fine)
amd phenon II X3 2.6 ghz tri core (says its fine)
radeon hd 4670 (not sure about this)

I have a pretty good computer so IM not sure why I can run crysis but not pcsx2. I really wanna be able to play my games I did a lot of work to get this all together. im hoping its my graphics card cause I was gonna replace it anyway. I cant afford another cpu thats ove r a hundred dollars. I can also buy up to 6 gb of ram but its the ram. pcsx2 uses 60% of my cpu and 50% of my ram

im running the latest version

Sponsored links

My opinion I'm not an expert. It is probably the cpu frequency (pcsx2 only uses 2 cores). More ram is completely useless. The amd3 processor prices will probably drop in 6 month when bulldozer cpu are release.

If you does not use fancy feature, the graphic cards is probably enough although a little weak. Try to find the nvidia equivalent card and check the forum.

PCSX2 -> love good cpu
Computer games -> love good gpu
Quote:I can run crysis but not pcsx2

Do not ever compare pc gaming with ps2 emulation, they are 2 different things. Even the same game (like Pro evolution soccer 6), you may be able to run the PC version smoothly on your computer, but you probably won't reach the same result playing it on a emulator, consider also that pcsx2 is NOT perfect yet.

Your graphics card is not the best, but you should be able to run games. What you really need is a better CPU, (check here the recommended ones http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PCSX2#Recommended ).

If you haven't already, try using speedhacks and set internal resolution to native in GSdx, that should help you a lot.
CPU: AMD Phenom II X2 545 processor
GPU: Nvidia GeForce 9800 GT 650 MHz
Memory: 4GB RAM DDR2
(11-20-2010, 01:05 AM)Itsugawa Wrote:
Quote:I can run crysis but not pcsx2

Do not ever compare pc gaming with ps2 emulation, they are 2 different things. Even the same game (like Pro evolution soccer 6), you may be able to run the PC version smoothly on your computer, but you probably won't reach the same result playing it on a emulator, consider also that pcsx2 is NOT perfect yet.

Your graphics card is not the best, but you should be able to run games. What you really need is a better CPU, (check here the recommended ones http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PCSX2#Recommended ).

If you haven't already, try using speedhacks and set internal resolution to native in GSdx, that should help you a lot.

how do I set the internal resolution? the speedhacks dont work. also, why do you I need a cpu when it only uses 60% of my cpu? if it were using 100% uid be like yea i need a new one but i still have 40% of my cpu to use. Im definitel;y getting a direct x 11 graphcis card monday so IM praying that will help. Im owrried that if a buy a cpu it still may not work and ill have an expensive thing that runs my computer games just the same as my current one
also can someone link me to a few choices of cpus? The site you mentioned only listed one cpu. Also im having a lot trouble finding where I can set the internal resolution

is this one better than my current? http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.as...-_-Product

im not very computer savy so I feel like going down from tric core to dual core would be less effective for other computer games. am I correct or is this cpu noticably faster?

also the gsdx option is in grey and I cant click on it. why is this?
Better but not really compatible with your motherboard, not to mention it's been superseded by the Core i-series (which will actually be replaced come January).

For your PC, I'd recommend a higher clocked Phenom II X2 or X4 preferably Black Edition with unlocked multi in case your motherboard isn't a good overclocker. Will post some links when I get to my PC.

Here's a link of possible CPU upgrades:
AMD Phenom II

The above should work as a simple drop-in replacement in your current rig. Before you go buying a new CPU, though, is it not possible to overclock your current CPU? It's basically the same as the processors I linked to, just working at a lower clock speed. Since you already have a CPU cooler (and box coolers aren't all that nice anyway), I highly suggest the AMD Phenom II X4 940 BE 3.0GHz OEM, $96 assuming your motherboard supports 125W TDP processors. As mentioned, the unlocked multi should make overclocking easy. If even that isn't fast enough for you, then the only option is a full system replacement. That said, it doesn't seem as if there's any desktop CPU currently available that can handle PCSX2 fullspeed in all games without speedhacks so even if you replace your whole PC, that still might not solve the problem.
(11-20-2010, 02:18 AM)ilovejedd Wrote: Better but not really compatible with your motherboard, not to mention it's been superseded by the Core i-series (which will actually be replaced come January).

For your PC, I'd recommend a higher clocked Phenom II X2 or X4 preferably Black Edition with unlocked multi in case your motherboard isn't a good overclocker. Will post some links when I get to my PC.

Here's a link of possible CPU upgrades:
AMD Phenom II

The above should work as a simple drop-in replacement in your current rig. Before you go buying a new CPU, though, is it not possible to overclock your current CPU? It's basically the same as the processors I linked to, just working at a lower clock speed. Since you already have a CPU cooler (and box coolers aren't all that nice anyway), I highly suggest the AMD Phenom II X4 940 BE 3.0GHz OEM, $96 assuming your motherboard supports 125W TDP processors. As mentioned, the unlocked multi should make overclocking easy. If even that isn't fast enough for you, then the only option is a full system replacement. That said, it doesn't seem as if there's any desktop CPU currently available that can handle PCSX2 fullspeed in all games without speedhacks so even if you replace your whole PC, that still might not solve the problem.

unfortunately I do not know how to overclock and I thyink my psu isnt powerful enough to do it safely if I recall what overclocking is. is the one cpu you linked to a major improvement over the one I have? i dont see how it could be casue its really a little less money then the one I payed for. As far as replacing my whole rig goes, if that is the only option ill just save up for a ps3 lol. so if i bought the one you mentuioned would I need to overclock it as well? and would it run other computer games as well as my current one? thanks
would the 96 dollar one you mentioned work better than mine even without overclocking?
Difference is purely due to clock speed in PCSX2. It's about 15% faster than your CPU for PCSX2. That's still not a very significant jump if you're starting at 30 fps. That just means instead of 30, you'll now get 35 fps which still isn't anywhere near full speed. You really do still need to overclock to get anywhere near close to full speed.

For PC games, it should work at least as well as if not better than your current CPU.

If you plan on buying a PS3, do note that the newer ones don't play PS2 games.
(11-20-2010, 04:14 AM)ilovejedd Wrote: Difference is purely due to clock speed in PCSX2. It's about 15% faster than your CPU for PCSX2. That's still not a very significant jump if you're starting at 30 fps. That just means instead of 30, you'll now get 35 fps which still isn't anywhere near full speed. You really do still need to overclock to get anywhere near close to full speed.

For PC games, it should work at least as well as if not better than your current CPU.

If you plan on buying a PS3, do note that the newer ones don't play PS2 games.

can you teach me how to overclock? or link me>? and are ther ANY ps3s available that play ps2 games?