why does pcsx2 suck so much on linux?
I thought open source development primarily happened on linux so why does it run worse than windows? Should it not automatically run the best on linux?

example: Ridge Racer V
Windows: Works well in software mode using opengl gsdx
Linux: Audio completely messed up and lagging (tried messing with portaudio, didn't help), overall games peed slower using opengl gsdx

Specs:
Fedora 19, GTX 680 319 drivers, 8gig ram, i5 3570k

Everything's new install, all updates applied running minimal desktop environment - lxde.

I've tried this with rpm binary and I tried compiling by myself from svn and get the same problems with each.

Sponsored links

Open source is open source. Linux is linux. No link between the 2. PCSX2 is a windows program that run on linux Tongue2

From the various report I got, it seems there is something wrong with the multithread part of GSdx on linux. Unfortunately I didn't find any application to profile the threading code
on linux (AMD not intel).

Anyway, the answer is "lack of manpower". And it will get worst on coming months.

Edit: I integrate the new SDL backend for SPU2X. Hoppefully it would improve latency, tests are welcome Tongue2
I like how you think "open source" means "made, designed, and test on linux". PCSX2 is first and foremost a windows application. Gregory, while not completely alone in his endeavor, is still just about the only person working seriously on the linux side and he's done amazing things over the last year. He's also (sadly) working against poor driver implementation of features by nvidia and AMD, so he has to spend a lot of time bug testing and performing work arounds just to get a lot of things even working.
[Image: 2748844.png]
Open source is only as good as the amount of people and the teamwork established for a certain project. If I were a coder, I would help too as I loooove using this program very much.
But since I'm not a coder I cannot help in that respect. And yes, Gregory is a god among men for handling some of these heavy tasks releated to stubborn drivers and getting pcsx2 to run correctly.
But since I have learned a lot about Linux basics in the past few years I've been able to help people in that regards with Linux-based PCSX2 problems that I could solve. So the best thing you can do is not to complain why pcsx2 Linux "sucks" so bad but see how you can make it better in however you can, even if just means being supportive. The audio problem you described had a simple workaround I talked about a few threads previous in the past year. Of course, there is a new SVN with corrected audio using SDL that Gregory has released so I think I will test it out now... Smile
OS: Linux Mint 17.2 64 bit (occasional Antergos/Arch user)
(I am no longer a Windows user)
CPU: Intel Pentium G3258
GPU: Nvidia GTX 650 Ti

Quote:He's also (sadly) working
That so true Tongue2
Linux sucks for gaming, period. The reason for this is because GPU support is generally terrible, as there's such a small Linux market that most GPU makers don't even bother with developing Linux versions of their drivers, leaving any possible driver development to the open source community. Since no one gets paid to write open source software, and no one in the open source community has access to the proprietary internal specs of the graphics cards they write drivers for, the drivers that do get made are often slow and of low quality. Nvidia and AMD would be able to remedy this by sharing their specs, but being the capitalists that they are, this isn't going to happen any time soon. Tongue Instead, find out who writes the drivers for your GPU, and donate to their cause to give them some motivation. Wink
CPU: Athlon x4 860k @4.2GHz
RAM: 16GB Kingston HyperX DDR3 @1600MHz 10-10-10-30-39
GPU: 4GB Asus Strix GTX 1050ti @stock
Motherboard: ASRock FM2A88X-ITX+
Storage: 480GB Mushkin ECO3 SSD, 500GB Samsung 860 EVO SSD, 4TB Seagate Barracuda
PSU: 650w Corsair CS650M
conviction vs reality

Both Nvidia/AMD provides a proprietary linux driver. Amd provide their "proprietary" specs of their GPU. Intel got a full team on the opensource driver which is nearly on part with the window team. If tommorow you can get a full open source graphic stack on window, you will get a +10/20% boost on GSdx Wink Open source drivers are slow but of high quality.

The issue is not linux but opengl (and not the API). Less game => lower testing coverage => slower & buggy ! (=> less game?)
(09-15-2013, 07:04 AM)mr_bigmouth_502 Wrote: Linux sucks for gaming, period. The reason for this is because GPU support is generally terrible, as there's such a small Linux market that most GPU makers don't even bother with developing Linux versions of their drivers, leaving any possible driver development to the open source community. Since no one gets paid to write open source software, and no one in the open source community has access to the proprietary internal specs of the graphics cards they write drivers for, the drivers that do get made are often slow and of low quality. Nvidia and AMD would be able to remedy this by sharing their specs, but being the capitalists that they are, this isn't going to happen any time soon. Tongue Instead, find out who writes the drivers for your GPU, and donate to their cause to give them some motivation. Wink

According to gabe newell linux is perfect for gaming.
(09-18-2013, 01:48 PM)xenphor Wrote: According to gabe newell linux is perfect for gaming.

but not better than window cause windows have power of dx9,10, 11, 11.1 rendering. And linux only have opengl rendering.
Core i3 9100f 3.6Ghz
RAM=8GB
nvidia GT 1030
pcsx2 version-1.3.1  
(09-18-2013, 04:23 PM)Brock lessner Wrote: but not better than window cause windows have power of dx9,10, 11, 11.1 rendering. And linux only have opengl rendering.

You're trespassing on hostile territory, might want to step back out before you get trampled Tongue