why does pcsx2 suck so much on linux?
Opengl and dx are only api to access gpu feature. There is no power in it Wink Dx is better because of the driver support. If tommorow gpu vendor's test more opengl than dx, opengl will be better.

Sponsored links

(09-18-2013, 04:29 PM)gregory Wrote: Opengl and dx are only api to access gpu feature. There is no power in it Wink Dx is better because of the driver support. If tommorow gpu vendor's test more opengl than dx, opengl will be better.
really ?? Wow i was thinking that its contain diffrent 3d rendering power :-). But still i think windows dx is better for gaming. But Yeah if devs concentrate to opengl then that is better and its also avilable in windows. :-D
Core i3 9100f 3.6Ghz
RAM=8GB
nvidia GT 1030
pcsx2 version-1.3.1  
I've had enough experience fighting with Linux trying to get my graphics drivers working at a decent speed (or even working at all period Tongue) that I can conclude that it's not nearly as good for gaming as Windows. It's not that it's a bad operating system, it's just that no one wants to give open source the support it deserves. If open source software were better supported, Linux would have awesome fast graphics drivers, Wine would be able to run everything under the sun, and I would have absolutely no reason to be running Windoze.
CPU: Athlon x4 860k @4.2GHz
RAM: 16GB Kingston HyperX DDR3 @1600MHz 10-10-10-30-39
GPU: 4GB Asus Strix GTX 1050ti @stock
Motherboard: ASRock FM2A88X-ITX+
Storage: 480GB Mushkin ECO3 SSD, 500GB Samsung 860 EVO SSD, 4TB Seagate Barracuda
PSU: 650w Corsair CS650M
(09-18-2013, 04:26 PM)Coornio Wrote: You're trespassing on hostile territory, might want to step back out before you get trampled Tongue

Blush ops
Core i3 9100f 3.6Ghz
RAM=8GB
nvidia GT 1030
pcsx2 version-1.3.1  
All of the other emulators I use have OpenGL as the standard as it allows for better portability on other OS's. I do wish Linux did have better support, but what can you do when > 90% of the world uses Windows?
OS: Linux Mint 17.2 64 bit (occasional Antergos/Arch user)
(I am no longer a Windows user)
CPU: Intel Pentium G3258
GPU: Nvidia GTX 650 Ti

It's a bit of a conundrum, more people would use Linux if it had better graphics support, but it doesn't have better graphics support because not that many people use it in the first place.
Storage: 480GB Mushkin ECO3 SSD, 500GB Samsung 860 EVO SSD, 4TB Seagate Barracuda
So you got a bad driver then you conclude the os is bad. A sane conclusion would be your GPU vendor suck Wink By the way opengl linux is the same as opengl windows, we don't care about the OS!

Opengl is potentially a bit slower than dx because it was less optimized/tested. Wine/Valve demonstrate that you can run any dx game with a gl backend. Both convert dx call into gl equivalent. This kind of layer is free from CPU processing point of view. You can even imagine put the conversion layer inside the GPU driver. Current situation is game industry are used to dx tools/dev and you have very few game on linux (desktop). Current situation is a big shift toward mobile world, soon they will be more "gamers" on android/ios than Dx/PC Wink

Note: opengl allows more advance GPU effect than Dx but don't worry will come back with dx12 Wink
Note2: ps4 will surely be gl compatible.

Conclusion the war/race is still on going Tongue2
Not just a single bad driver, a few bad drivers. This happened to me on three separate machines all with different GPUs; one was an old Intel GPU that the Linux driver development was essentially abandoned on due to some conflict with the kernel, then there was also an integrated Geforce 6150LE, and the Radeon HD 4650 in my main box.
Never[0] have any issue with nvidia on linux (except when my card was 8 years old). Anyway Nvidia/AMD drivers are 99,999% identical between window and linux. You need to differentiate opengl issue (one that you will get on windows too) and linux issue. Rage (from ID software) got tone of issue with GL implementation on windows.

It is only a matter to have tester to fix opengl then opengl will be equivalent to dx.

[0] well except various opengl bug/crash Tongue2
(09-18-2013, 10:27 PM)gregory Wrote: Never[0] have any issue with nvidia on linux (except when my card was 8 years old). Anyway Nvidia/AMD drivers are 99,999% identical between window and linux. You need to differentiate opengl issue (one that you will get on windows too) and linux issue. Rage (from ID software) got tone of issue with GL implementation on windows.

It is only a matter to have tester to fix opengl then opengl will be equivalent to dx.

[0] well except various opengl bug/crash Tongue2

Have you used nvidia's drivers for freebsd or solaris? Can you run games with them?