why no love for AMD?
it seems the only plugin that works with AMD is just plain ol SSE2. ssse3 and sse41 do not work. sse2 is very slow so i was wondering why there was no other plugin that works better with AMD?

Sponsored links

... because AMD has thus far refused to make a CPU with useful instruction set extensions. Blame AMD, not us.
Jake Stine (Air) - Programmer - PCSX2 Dev Team
when i open up CPU Z it says that my AMD CPU has SSE 1,2,3, and 4A Along with MMX(+) and 3Dnow (+). you cant tell me none of these are at least a little useful?
(07-15-2010, 04:10 AM)beefyflip Wrote: when i open up CPU Z it says that my AMD CPU has SSE 1,2,3, and 4A Along with MMX(+) and 3Dnow (+). you cant tell me none of these are at least a little useful?

Well most of those are useful, but not so useful for PCSX2. Those extensions are targeted for a different audience. Although when Bulldozer comes out it is supposed to support the extensions that PCSX2 uses so that should provide a speed increase not to mention the new micro architecture. So next year we should see some AMD luvin. Smile
From what I heard, SSE2 is not that much slower anyway.
Intel i5 3450
AsRock B75-Pro3-M
Sapphire R9 290 Tri-X OC
8GB DDR3-1333 RAM
Sandisk Ultra Plus 256GB
Seagate 7200.14 1TB x2
Enermax Triathlor 450W PSU
Quote:Well most of those are useful, but not so useful for PCSX2. Those extensions are targeted for a different audience. Although when Bulldozer comes out it is supposed to support the extensions that PCSX2 uses so that should provide a speed increase not to mention the new micro architecture. So next year we should see some AMD luvin.

I read that it will not have ssse3, but It will have sse4.1&4.2, and AVX.
(07-15-2010, 04:10 AM)beefyflip Wrote: when i open up CPU Z it says that my AMD CPU has SSE 1,2,3, and 4A Along with MMX(+) and 3Dnow (+). you cant tell me none of these are at least a little useful?

Yes, SSE and SSE2 are useful. We use them. The others are not useful. Thus we do not use them.

MMX and 3DNow are technologies from 1996 and 1998 respectively; you can guess why they're not useful today. The (+) was a fun thing AMD added in the P3 days, to stress that their MMX and 3Dnow stuff was "even better" than Intel's MMX stuff. The (+) became obsolete when Intel released the P4, which itself had the same 'feature' (namely a fast implementation of the EMMS instruction).

SSE3 is for playing mpegs or something (and 10cents bets your GPU does all that work today anyway), and SSE4A is.. well... a cruel joke.
Jake Stine (Air) - Programmer - PCSX2 Dev Team
AMD is not for PCSX2, belive me. Intel is a more better choice for PCSX2. My AMD-ATI [Image: pii@ln2_4870x2_3d06.jpg]

used to lose my friend'sPC when testing with PCSX2 in Final Fantasy X (noframelimiter), whose is a crazy Intel Fanboy.(I'm an AMD crazy fanboy).

[Image: 0629555.jpg]
Well duh, everyone know that Intel is faster clock for clock even compared to old Penryn but that doesn't mean you can't play pcsx2 with AMD, after all who want to play in 120FPS with pcsx2? (except for benchmarkers for which I'll ask, wth are you doing with AMD?)

For the price it does the job damn well.
AMD = price/performance and customer friendliness
Intel = performance

Simple as that. About customer friendliness: AMD does not let down people with old mainboards and gives new CPUs backwards compability. In addition, there are rumors that Intel's current sockets will already be replaced 2011...
Intel i5 3450
AsRock B75-Pro3-M
Sapphire R9 290 Tri-X OC
8GB DDR3-1333 RAM
Sandisk Ultra Plus 256GB
Seagate 7200.14 1TB x2
Enermax Triathlor 450W PSU