widescreen patches not working for games.
I've been trying to get the widescreen patches to work on kingdom hearts, persona 3 fes, and the persona 3 fes undubbed.
So far I have

- dled pcsx2 1.4
- set aspect ratio to 16:9
- enabled cheats and widescreen patches
- created a cheats_ws folder in pcsx2 directory
- tried patches from both the cheats_ws.zip archive already in the directory and the ps2 widescreen download from http://forums.pcsx2.net/Thread-PCSX2-Widescreen-      Game-Patches?pid=271674#pid271674

The console says that the widescreen patches have been loaded for kingdom hearts and persona, so idk. I'm pretty sure I used the correct patches; I checked the crcs and everything. Is there anything else that needs to be done? I'm a bit of a noob at this whole emulation business so any sort of help is appreciated.

p.s: does anyone know where i can find the .pnach for the 1.01 version of the persona 3 fes undubbed (both remix and original bgm version). a pnash file with the same crc as the undubbed version is in the ps2 widescreen download, but not the 1.01 undubbed. i've read somewhere that you can just rename the pnach for the vanilla persona 3 fes to the crc of the 1.01 one, and it should work. would it?

Sponsored links

Did you try adding the widescreen patches to the My Documents\PCSX2\cheats_ws folder?
Quote:I've been trying to get the widescreen patches to work on kingdom hearts, persona 3 fes, and the persona 3 fes undubbed.

Please post the CRCs of those games. It would help others understand whether or not we have widescreen patches for those games, and whether or not they're bundled already with PCSX2.

At least for some of those games, PCSX2 should come bundled with the widescreen patches (both 1.4 and the recent builds from the buildbot). It identifies the game by its CRC (should appear at the console title and at the console text/log).

So just enabling widescreen patches at the menu should be enough. I.e. you don't need to create any additional folders or put any additional files anywhere.

Also, if you download PCSX2 from the buildbot then it has more bundled (built in) widescreen patches than version 1.4 has.

Note, however, that if you add widescreen patches to your "cheats_ws" folder, then each file will override the one which is bundled with PCSX2 for the same CRC. E.g. if you put there 12345678.pnach, then PCSX2 will not load the bundled widescreen patch (if it has one) for CRC 12345678.
(08-13-2016, 11:55 AM)FlatOut Wrote: Did you try adding the widescreen patches to the My Documents\PCSX2\cheats_ws folder?

I have, but am I supposed to put them in both the director cheats folder and the my documents cheats folder? Or just one?

(08-13-2016, 12:58 PM)avih Wrote: Please post the CRCs of those games. It would help others understand whether or not we have widescreen patches for those games, and whether or not they're bundled already with PCSX2.

Persona 3 FES: 94A82AAA                
Persona 3 FES undub original bgm 1.01: 97102837
Persona 3 FES undub 1.01: 970A1593
Persona 3 FES undub unpatched: 970A82A2
Persona 3 FES undub original bgm unpatched: 9710BF06

The first and fourth both seem to already be bundled with pcsx2. I just tried it with only the bundled patches for the 2 that have them and neither worked.
Here's what the console said for Persona 3 FES undub unpatched

Not found Cheats file: C:\Users\John\Documents\PCSX2\cheats\970A82A2.pnach
Overall 0 Cheats loaded
Overall 0 Widescreen hacks loaded
Loading patch '970A82A2.pnach' from archive 'C:\PCSX2 1.4.0\cheats_ws.zip'
(Wide Screen Cheats DB) Patches Loaded: 42

I really don't know what's going on.
(08-13-2016, 01:31 PM)doyalike Wrote: Persona 3 FES undub unpatched: 970A82A2

The... seem to already be bundled with pcsx2. I just tried it with only the bundled patches for the 2 that have them and neither worked.
Here's what the console said for Persona 3 FES undub unpatched

Not found Cheats file: C:\Users\John\Documents\PCSX2\cheats\970A82A2.pnach
Overall 0 Cheats loaded
Overall 0 Widescreen hacks loaded
Loading patch '970A82A2.pnach' from archive 'C:\PCSX2 1.4.0\cheats_ws.zip'
(Wide Screen Cheats DB) Patches Loaded: 42

I really don't know what's going on.

So, it seems the bundled widescreen patches were indeed loaded (it had 42 different patch items in that patch file).

What makes you think it doesn't work?

Please post 2 screenshots of the game, one with widescreen patches enabled and one where it's disabled:
- Both of them after booting the game with the widescreen option already enabled or disabled (doesn't matter if full or fast boot, but it's important that it's not after loading a saved state and it's important that you don't change the widescreen option after booting).
- Both when you're actually playing it (i.e. not at the menus or during some FMVs).
- Both of them with the aspect ratio set to 16:9 at the config->emulation settings->GS window panel.
Quote:- Both of them after booting the game with the widescreen option already enabled or disabled (doesn't matter if full or fast boot, but it's important that it's not after loading a saved state and it's important that you don't change the widescreen option after booting).

Also, if you use PCSX2 1.4, also make sure to close PCSX2 and then open it again before you boot again with different patches configuration. It has an issue where if some patches were applied before, they might still get applied accidentally even after boot.

Newer versions of PCSX2 (from the buildbot) has this problem fixed.