will the team keep making the emulator more efficient
(12-01-2013, 03:44 AM)Blyss Sarania Wrote: Haha, I'm sure that's beyond me for now. Really what I want to do is change the texture filtering to something better than bilinear. Just to write something that will work shouldn't be hard, of course making it fast is another story.

Mipmapping works in software though, I wonder why it can't be ported to hardware?

It would require a complete rewrite of the plugin.
[Image: gmYzFII.png]
[Image: dvedn3-5.png]

Sponsored links

(12-01-2013, 03:45 AM)Nobbs66 Wrote: It would require a complete rewrite of the plugin.

I know, I've heard that, I'm just curious as to why?
[Image: XTe1j6J.png]
Gaming Rig: Intel i7 6700k @ 4.8Ghz | GTX 1070 TI | 32GB RAM | 960GB(480GB+480GB RAID0) SSD | 2x 1TB HDD
(12-01-2013, 03:49 AM)Blyss Sarania Wrote: I know, I've heard that, I'm just curious as to why?

That I do not know. It would be great if one of the devs could elaborate on this though.
Quote:Just because you would normaly gain speed it may not hold true for the ps2 because of the complexity of the architecture. NFS happens to be an example of this. If the accuracy was improved NFS might run faster than it does currently.

The performance of some games simply cannot be helped, because a lot of games ran like crap on the actual PS2 hardware itself. The PCSX2 team nor any other hypothetical team could fix the sloppy/weird coding present in individual games.

There are also emulators for consoles which weren't really that complex, yet still had steep requirements anyway. MAME (and its 50 billion different incarnations) is an example of this. The Xbox emu could be an example as well: pretty much x86-based and was virtually a Windows PC inside a custom box, yet still proved to be difficult to get anything done on for various reasons (besides there never being huge teams for development, such things as the audio processors being difficult to emulate due to lack of documentation contributed to this...)
Yeah what I was trying to put forwards really is that what is left to do on PCSX2 requires a lot of work from developers for not-substantial improvements as far as I'm aware, i.e. a rewrite to do HW mipmapping; I seem to recall I read a post somewhere where someone pointed that when PCSX2 development started who knows how many years ago multithreading wasn't a big thing and they couldn't have predicted the trend we now have.

My understanding is to actually improve this emulator substantially major rewrites are required, which is a lot of dedication for an emulator that runs as well as this one.

And I wasn't trying to push down PPSSPP, but I just don't think it's the same, I think they have room for improvement without major rewrites.

Hope I put forward my message better than before Smile
(12-01-2013, 06:40 AM)pablocrossa Wrote: Yeah what I was trying to put forwards really is that what is left to do on PCSX2 requires a lot of work from developers for not-substantial improvements as far as I'm aware, i.e. a rewrite to do HW mipmapping; I seem to recall I read a post somewhere where someone pointed that when PCSX2 development started who knows how many years ago multithreading wasn't a big thing and they couldn't have predicted the trend we now have.

My understanding is to actually improve this emulator substantially major rewrites are required, which is a lot of dedication for an emulator that runs as well as this one.

And I wasn't trying to push down PPSSPP, but I just don't think it's the same, I think they have room for improvement without major rewrites.

Hope I put forward my message better than before Smile

Your message makes perfect sense. Yeah, there really wasn't much multithreading when PCSX2 started out. Programming for multiple threads is tricky anyway, and the PS2 requires pretty tight synchronization of components, so to do that in a multithreaded environment is very difficult. The fact that PCSX2 runs as well as it does is a testament to the skill of the devs.
Gaming Rig: Intel i7 6700k @ 4.8Ghz | GTX 1070 TI | 32GB RAM | 960GB(480GB+480GB RAID0) SSD | 2x 1TB HDD
(12-01-2013, 06:43 AM)Blyss Sarania Wrote: Your message makes perfect sense. Yeah, there really wasn't much multithreading when PCSX2 started out. Programming for multiple threads is tricky anyway, and the PS2 requires pretty tight synchronization of components, so to do that in a multithreaded environment is very difficult. The fact that PCSX2 runs as well as it does is a testament to the skill of the devs.

Yeah the devs are incrdible and it amazes me that they don't act like self proclaimed gods that think they can treat people like crap because of what they have done. It really shows their true character.
(12-01-2013, 06:47 AM)Nobbs66 Wrote: Yeah the devs are incrdible and it amazes me that they don't act like self proclaimed gods that think they can treat people like crap because of what they have done. It really shows their true character.

Yeah, it's great that they come on here and act pretty much like the rest of us. I end up talking about off topic stuff with refraction quite a bit. Which makes me feel better about my off topicness, since he is a dev and goes off topic too lol!

Actually, the devs don't do too much moderating on here either. Mostly it's jesalvein who lays down the law. From my experience he is pretty fair. Occasionally I've seen him make a remark that was probably a little unnecessary, but then, I think he must get frustrated some times when we have so many people break the rules, or when we have someone like that guy the other day that said he had autism and OCD and spazzed out for a few hours. So it's understandable that sometimes he just gets tired of noobs breaking the rules again and again.
(12-01-2013, 06:53 AM)Blyss Sarania Wrote: it's jesalvein who lays down the law. From my experience he is pretty fair. Occasionally I've seen him make a remark that was probably a little unnecessary, but then, I think he must get frustrated some times when we have so many people break the rules, or when we have someone like that guy the other day that said he had autism and OCD and spazzed out for a few hours. So it's understandable that sometimes he just gets tired of noobs breaking the rules again and again.

If I did what he does I would be flaming 24/7. I could not do what Jesalvein does and keep my sanity there is just no way I could.
(12-01-2013, 07:01 AM)Nobbs66 Wrote: If I did what he does I would be flaming 24/7. I could not do what Jesalvein does and keep my sanity there is just no way I could.

I notice that a lot of times you will try to keep people in line by telling them not to necropost, reporting piracy, etc. I do that too. I try not to cross the line though, since I know I'm not a mod and they don't like you acting like you are a mod when you aren't lol

Just a little FYI: When you are telling people stuff like not to necropost or whatever, they will respond a lot better if you say "please" Like you say this:

"Don't dig up old threads"

and it would be better to be like

"Please don't post in threads that are really old, make your own topic instead"

or something. I'm not trying to be picky or anything, I just noticed that you come across as almost rude when you are telling people stuff.

Yeah, jesalvein is like a crazy good mod. He is so quick on the draw when we have pirates or spam or whatever. Very effective. But he also participates in regular conversations too. And provides support as well.