x2-x6 native resolution comparison
for the choices of resolutions with the #x native what are the comparative resolutions? like if 1x was 800x600, what are the other ones?

Sponsored links

Don't really get the question but if you mean what exactly the resolution will be, it goes like this:
The game requests a resolution by itself, typically around 512*448 but it can be different.
Scaling then takes this resolution and multiplies the x and y values by the selected factor.
also after x4 u cant see much diference(at least my 24 lcd dont show any big diferences Tongue)
(07-20-2012, 10:21 PM)ecchiless Wrote: (at least my 24 lcd dont show any big diferences Tongue)

Bingo it's the same as running a 1080p res on a 720p Sad
(07-21-2012, 12:34 AM)abdo123 Wrote: Bingo it's the same as running a 1080p res on a 720p Sad

Bingo! I agree with abdo

Any setting higher than 4x will only produce placebo effect...
Simply we would notice the difference if our tv's could output resolutions of 3000x2000~ (whatever 6x is) it's just that current TV are limited to 1080p or 720p on mainstream TVs.

Whearas Pcsx2 is not limited in it's output.
<REDACTED>
(07-21-2012, 04:50 AM)Fezzer Wrote: Simply we would notice the difference if our tv's could output resolutions of 3000x2000~ (whatever 6x is) it's just that current TV are limited to 1080p or 720p on mainstream TVs.

Whearas Pcsx2 is not limited in it's output.

Increasing resolution/multiplier beyond the screen resolution is effectively equivalent to Full-Scene-Anti-Aliasing, which can be useful and is also visible, depending on the multiplier. However, FSAA is relatively inefficient (compared to MSAA, but especially compared to FXAA, SMAA, for similar image quality).

So increasing the multiplier does effectively apply anti aliasing to the image, but also puts much load on the GPU (heat, noise, power consumption, etc).

Unfortunately, GSdx's support for MSAA is experimental and has some issues, but FXAA works quite well (Toggle with page-up at the game window).

So instead of using x6 resolution, one could try x4 with FXAA enabled, which might give a very similar image quality but put MUCH less load on the GPU.

However, if your GPU supports it, and if you don't care about heat/noise/power/etc, x6 does improve image quality over x3 even on "only" 1080p screen.
I tested res in KH2. I seem to feel a slight difference 4X compared to 6X, but this is using a television connected via HDMI (this is how I always use the emulator).

At 6X I start to feel that my GPU is reaching it's limits though - it starts to fall slightly behind 60fps is battles.

MSAA isn't compatible with a lot of the games I've played so I haven't gotten a chance to really test it out yet.

I feel that FXAA does more than enough and is the most efficient way to go. MSAA has compat issues and increasing res too much is hardware intensive. FXAA does a good job with compat issues being rare and isn't hard on hardware.

After all, you're already playing the game at a quality level that's several times better than PS2, meaning that you'd normally never see it this good. I think that fact alone is enough to make me feel appreciative that I can get ANYTHING above the quality of the original PS2.
(07-21-2012, 06:31 AM)avih Wrote: Increasing resolution/multiplier beyond the screen resolution is effectively equivalent to Full-Scene-Anti-Aliasing, which can be useful and is also visible, depending on the multiplier. However, FSAA is relatively inefficient (compared to MSAA, but especially compared to FXAA, SMAA, for similar image quality).

So increasing the multiplier does effectively apply anti aliasing to the image, but also puts much load on the GPU (heat, noise, power consumption, etc).

Unfortunately, GSdx's support for MSAA is experimental and has some issues, but FXAA works quite well (Toggle with page-up at the game window).

So instead of using x6 resolution, one could try x4 with FXAA enabled, which might give a very similar image quality but put MUCH less load on the GPU.

However, if your GPU supports it, and if you don't care about heat/noise/power/etc, x6 does improve image quality over x3 even on "only" 1080p screen.

Thank you! I'm glad someone cleared up this misconception. There are a lot of mis-informed assumptions that are simply not true. I can see a big difference between x4 and x6 on my BenQ W6000 110" screen. In Ridge Raver 5, the difference is astonishing.

Quick question avih....you just blew my mind with something you said above. FXAA is available in PCSX2? Wow...When did this happen? Is this a recent addition? You mention we can enable it by pressing the page up key. Very interesting, but why isn't it a check box toggle option within GDSX? Why is it essentially hidden?
(07-21-2012, 09:53 AM)Isamu Wrote: Thank you! I'm glad someone cleared up this misconception. There are a lot of mis-informed assumptions that are simply not true. I can see a big difference between x4 and x6 on my BenQ W6000 110" screen. In Ridge Raver 5, the difference is astonishing.

Quick question avih....you just blew my mind with something you said above. FXAA is available in PCSX2? Wow...When did this happen? Is this a recent addition? You mention we can enable it by pressing the page up key. Very interesting, but why isn't it a check box toggle option within GDSX? Why is it essentially hidden?

it's been a while ago like a year or more

and yeah make a toggle button Tongue
(07-21-2012, 06:31 AM)avih Wrote: Increasing resolution/multiplier beyond the screen resolution is effectively equivalent to Full-Scene-Anti-Aliasing, which can be useful and is also visible, depending on the multiplier. However, FSAA is relatively inefficient (compared to MSAA, but especially compared to FXAA, SMAA, for similar image quality).

that's is the exact thing that happens with every user your not getting any higher res but a big AA Smile