..:: PCSX2 Forums ::..

Full Version: Growlanser Generations - freeze on boot
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I just recently got PCSX2 downloaded and configured... newest version of course... and got my hands on a couple games to try it out. Other games seem to boot fine, but Growlanser Generations (both games) freeze on the boot up screen. "Playstation 2" shows up in the middle of the screen, then after a couple seconds, suddenly moves to the bottom of the screen and freezes there.

I did some google searching to see if there was a fix for this, but can't seem to find any solid advice to deal with the problem... most posts I've read were from over a year ago, talking about how this game has freeze problems.

So, is there anybody that can help me figure out how to get this game running?
Did you try with both the PCSX2 0.9.6 stable and the latest beta?

Try running the game with both "file > run cd/dvd" and "run > execute", and please post your pcsx2 settings and computer specs so we can help better.
I had this same problem... Oddly enough, the only way I could get it to run was with using run elf in the latest beta.

To do this, put the CD in the drive and look for the SLUS file (SLUS.207.58 for NTSC Growlanser 2, 207.59 for NTSC Growlanser 3). Copy those to your hard drive and add the .ELF extention to the end of those files. Then use PCSX2 and click run ELF. It will also ask you if the elf is associated with a CD drive or ISO image. Link it to whichever you want (of course making sure it's the right disc for each game) and then the game should load. Very round about, but I only just checked to make sure the games worked so didn't bother me much.
(09-14-2009, 08:18 AM)Koji Wrote: [ -> ]I had this same problem... Oddly enough, the only way I could get it to run was with using run elf in the latest beta.

To do this, put the CD in the drive and look for the SLUS file (SLUS.207.58 for NTSC Growlanser 2, 207.59 for NTSC Growlanser 3). Copy those to your hard drive and add the .ELF extention to the end of those files. Then use PCSX2 and click run ELF. It will also ask you if the elf is associated with a CD drive or ISO image. Link it to whichever you want (of course making sure it's the right disc for each game) and then the game should load. Very round about, but I only just checked to make sure the games worked so didn't bother me much.

So, I figured out how to change the file extension, did what you suggested, and the program just crashes before even the bios loads.
(09-14-2009, 07:32 AM)Shadow Lady Wrote: [ -> ]Did you try with both the PCSX2 0.9.6 stable and the latest beta?

Try running the game with both "file > run cd/dvd" and "run > execute", and please post your pcsx2 settings and computer specs so we can help better.

When I try a file-> run cd/dvd, all I get is a black screen, the bios doesn't even load.

I hope you don't mind, but i posted my specs and plugins on another thread, so here is the link to that thread: http://forums.pcsx2.net/thread-10214.html
/bump
try pcsx2 revision 1652 for growlanser 2

it's the only one i have that doesn't crash on random battles anyway.

just realize that normal saves are finicky. sometimes they go through. sometimes they crash. if you loadstate during a time where saves arent going through it sticks and you won't ever be able to normal save again.
I've posted this already on another thread of very similar situation, but here it is for those who don't wanna look Wink

---
Hello gentleman, I've just registered to be able to share my solution with you all for this old but gold game.

I'm currently running it on the latest version of PCSX2 (it is fairly better than when I used to play some of the ps2 games on the emulator)

First of all: the issue of the memory card freeze.
I've managed to solve it by unplugging and plugging back the memory cards and playing around with them MEANWHILE the game was working. Once you get your memory cards to work as you need to make sure to keep always a save state from where to continue on, since that way you won't have to repeat that process.

Secondly, the issue of the freezes after battles (the mission complete freeze).

I've come around a fairly reliable solution (note, you'll still need a few tries, but saving the state slightly before you're ending a battle requires you at most 10-20 seconds to reach the same point again)

Here's the hacks you need to activate first:
1- Disable all of the speedhacks (the game should be smooth already even without the need of hacks)
1.1- This is not necessary, but some ppl have had issues with graphic bugs etc and in my case I only had 1 occurance hence I suggest to use x3 native.
2- Make sure to enable: EE timing hack, skip MPEG hack, OPH flag hack, ignore DMAC, "Switch to GSdx software rendering when a FMV plays".

Now, those things should generally work by themselves, but It happened sometimes that my game would freeze anyway. What I'd do is save state slightly before finishing a battle and in the case the freeze happens, simply rewind to your latest save slot and retry by doing even just 1 thing differently (instead of attacking, def then attack or mov then atk etc). Sometimes it works even without having to do something particularly different, but ironically it seemed to "change" the outcome.

This solution is by far not 100% reliable, but it managed to help me move on from this bug on a fairly good reliable speed.

Lastly, for those who've the freeze at boot: simply smash your X and skip that cursed vid.

I wish you all fun and enjoy this awesome game Laugh