..:: PCSX2 Forums ::..

Full Version: Memory Leak (FFXII and r1888)
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I've been dealing with memory leaks for a while now and haven't really been able to determine the root cause. These are my specs:

Intel­® Core 2 Duo™ CPU E6850 @ 3.00GHz (2 CPUs), ~3.82GHz OverClocked
8GB OCZ Reaper HPC 4x2GB, DDR2 800
EVGA GeForce GTX 280
Creative X-Fi Fatality Pro. Series w/ 7.1 Speakers
ABIT IP35 Pro Motherboard
Windows Vista™ Ultimate x64

Basically, when I start playing FF12 my system will report that I'm using approx 27-30% of my RAM in total, which is normal I suspect. If I keep a close eye on it, I'll watch it climb over time (approx. 1-2 hours) until it approaches around 85% memory in use and I'll get errors or the game will crash. Sometimes, it will botch my entire system and I have to reboot, due to being out of memory. However, pcsx2 only reports using 400k - 500k memory, which is about right, but never goes higher.

I've tried with interlacing off and on, as well as MSAA off and on, and DX9 and DX10 (hardware), and it will do it either way. I've noticed with DX9 that sometimes the physical memory readings will not change but I'll run out anyway.

What I did finally figure out was memory usage keeps increasing whenever the game changes scenes. Like when I zone to another area or especially when the game transitions to a cutscene and transitions back. Each time it does this, it tacks on about 2-5% to the physical memory. Clearly it's not dumping the old caches and is not refreshing properly.

Any suggestions?
It's GSdx that leaks memory. The MSAA option is known to leak badly or when you use extremely high internal resolutions. What SVN version/release of GSdx are you using?
(11-03-2009, 08:44 AM)Bositman Wrote: [ -> ]It's GSdx that leaks memory. The MSAA option is known to leak badly or when you use extremely high internal resolutions. What SVN version/release of GSdx are you using?

I'm not using MSAA at the moment, but I am using a higher resolution however; 2048x2048 and native unchecked of course.

I'm using GSdx 1873 (MSVC 15.00, SSSE3) 0.1.15

Right now I'm also using interlacing, because without Vsync the screen flickering when the camera pans is just awful, horrible to my eyes. I'm using Blend tff (slight blur, 1/2 fps) because it's the only one that seems to get rid of the blurry horizontal lines that flicker whenever the camera pans.
Try some other SVN revision from here: http://pcsx2.dyndns.org/index.php#GSdx
But we really don't support SVN snapshots...mainly for the reason there are nasty bugs like that one then. The 0.1.14 release should work fine as well
I'll try .14 and see how that goes.
The interlace option might be the problem. Try only activating it when the game runs, not via the configuration. (Hit F5 ingame)