..:: PCSX2 Forums ::..

Full Version: Rogue Galaxy; Slow voices
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
My main issue with the game is that I drop to around 30-40 FPS when alot is happening on the screen. I can get 50-60+ FPS while in combat, but when in a scene with talking, or a scene with generally alot of npcs, my FPS drops. Another problem is that almost everytime there is voice acting, the voice acting comes in slow. I've tried ZeroSPU2r1455.0.4.6 and P.E.Op.S. SPU2 1.90 sound plugins and they both do the exact same thing. My PC should be able to run the game perfectly smoothly all the way around. My specs are:

Processor: AMD Phenom II 940 (3.0Ghz quad-core)
Graphics: ATI Radeon HD 4870 1GB (OCed)
Memory: 4GB DDR2 800
Hard Drive: 320GB 7200RPM

PCSX2 Version: Beta 1888

This problem also occurs in Final Fantasy 12.
What is your settings? Tried SPU2-X?
Any sounds will be slow if your computer can't keep up. Try enabling a few speedhacks and see if they help.
(11-11-2009, 06:50 AM)rama Wrote: [ -> ]Any sounds will be slow if your computer can't keep up. Try enabling a few speedhacks and see if they help.

Mmm with his specs theorycally the game should work fine without speed hacks... so probably is an issue of sound plugins/configuration
larrylaffer:

(11-11-2009, 03:09 AM)ShaunZero Wrote: [ -> ]My main issue with the game is that I drop to around 30-40 FPS when alot is happening on the screen. I can get 50-60+ FPS while in combat, but when in a scene with talking, or a scene with generally alot of npcs, my FPS drops.
(11-12-2009, 05:54 PM)rama Wrote: [ -> ]larrylaffer:

(11-11-2009, 03:09 AM)ShaunZero Wrote: [ -> ]My main issue with the game is that I drop to around 30-40 FPS when alot is happening on the screen. I can get 50-60+ FPS while in combat, but when in a scene with talking, or a scene with generally alot of npcs, my FPS drops.

Post screens of the plugins, cpu, advanced settings, and speed hacks configurations that you are currently using
I limited my FPS to 70, so now it stays around 60-70, although it does seem to slow down in certain situations, it never displays lower than 55 FPS. I believe it's just a sound/sound plugin issue, because I've fixed the slow voice problem by messing with the sound plugin settings; however, now it crackles a bit. I'll post screens tomorrow. But yes, my PC specs seem like more than enough to run this smoothly.
Ok, let me clarify something. Audio is perfectly slaved to video in emulation.
If the video runs too fast or too slow, then we have to do something about the audio.
You have 2 options: Timestretch it (it will get slower or faster, your initial "problem"), or don't care what happens
(sound buffer runs out, it starts to crackle).
We've defaulted to the timestretch method, because crackling is usually worse.

So yeah, if you do not get 60fps, one of these 2 methods are employed. Depending on what you configured.

This game is very demanding. Your computer is not fast enough to run it at full speed out of the box.
As I said, try a few speedhacks.
My PC IS fast enough to run it "out of the box" (I built it myself). If I don't limit my FPS to 70, the game runs too fast to be played. Ealier when I said I'd get low FPS, it would only happen (Oddly) when I'd limit FPS to 60. Since I started to limit it to 70, it usually never lags at all. Though the sound comes through really slow, sometimes two character may talk at the same time as eachother even though the second character was replying to the first's statement.

Here are my screenshots:
www.chaos-ro.net/photos/Config1.jpg
www.chaos-ro.net/photos/Config2.jpg
www.chaos-ro.net/photos/Config3.jpg
www.chaos-ro.net/photos/Config4.jpg
www.chaos-ro.net/photos/Config5.jpg

Just a note, it's not so much of a problem anymore with these settings. Though it will occasionally slow down and character's lines will overlap eachother. Also, what makes an old game like this more demanding than let's say... Call of Duty 4 in which I can get 80-90 FPS with max AA/AF and settings? Is it the emulator itself? Because this game's graphics and effects are positively not up to par with games my PC can run without issues.
Quote:My PC IS fast enough to run it "out of the box" (I built it myself). If I don't limit my FPS to 70, the game runs too fast to be played. Ealier when I said I'd get low FPS, it would only happen (Oddly) when I'd limit FPS to 60. Since I started to limit it to 70, it usually never lags at all. Though the sound comes through really slow, sometimes two character may talk at the same time as eachother even though the second character was replying to the first's statement.

That is most probably caused by the VU skip hack you have at max. If you read the description you'd know at the max level it is VERY unstable and can break games in a pretty severe fashion. You should turn it down and let the FPS at limit.

Quote:Just a note, it's not so much of a problem anymore with these settings. Though it will occasionally slow down and character's lines will overlap eachother. Also, what makes an old game like this more demanding than let's say... Call of Duty 4 in which I can get 80-90 FPS with max AA/AF and settings? Is it the emulator itself? Because this game's graphics and effects are positively not up to par with games my PC can run without issues.

http://forums.pcsx2.net/thread-2330.html So yes, it's the emulation process that simply can't be compared to running an actual PC game designed for the PC architecture.
Pages: 1 2 3