..:: PCSX2 Forums ::..

Full Version: Linux/Windows ? + FFXII Config(solved)
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Was curious if anyone has used pcsx2 in both windows and linux and if there is a difference in speed(fps)!
There is no speed difference between pcsx2 versions form linux and windows at all. BUT! ZZogl ofthenly have slowdowns compared with GSDX, so linux sometimes have a major slowness. For example, Valkyrie Profile is playable by ZZogl, but speed is 1/3 form GSDX. So: most of games have the same speed, but at some ZZogl give a speed drop.
(11-20-2009, 01:01 AM)Zeydlitz Wrote: [ -> ]There is no speed difference between pcsx2 versions form linux and windows at all. BUT! ZZogl ofthenly have slowdowns compared with GSDX, so linux sometimes have a major slowness. For example, Valkyrie Profile is playable by ZZogl, but speed is 1/3 form GSDX. So: most of games have the same speed, but at some ZZogl give a speed drop.

I was thinking Linux uses less resources but then windows has directX libraries! So I was curious to how it would work out w/o fixing my broken Gentoo system.
Windows version has better compatibility with games for the same reason. GSDx is the more advanced graphics plugin so generally the windows version works better. Though Zeydlitz has done a lot of nice work with ZZogl so it's at least more competitive than the old ZeroGS.
I didn't want to start another thread but I'm trying to get FFXII to run a bit faster(I'm getting about 45-55 on avg.), I've read about people with either the same exact setup or less resources getting 55-60 fps all the time w/o speed hacks. I figured there either doing something with the settings or lying, so I am using the new beta version of pcsx2 and was curious if anyone knew the best config to get the best fps. I only ask because all the guides I found where old or the guides(Mostly the config guides didn't explain in detail about what the opts. do)!

My Specs:

Windows 7 64-bit(striped, meaning nothing running besides core processes)
Asus M2N-SLI Deluxe
AMD X2 5600+
4GB DDR2 DC 800MHZ ram
Nvidia 8600GT
WD SATA 3.0G p/s 320GB 16MB Cache

Thanx Paradox(>")>

Was gonna post a log, but didn't see one that was fully detailed. If any additional info is needed I will post it! Laugh
On those same or slower machines, they neglect to say that they are tilting the camera forward. That is, the camera (right control stick) is pushed forward so you can't see very far in front of your characters. Less geometry on the screen, less that needs to be emulated, which means faster speed. I know, my last computer was a similar system.

Some people turned on VU cycle steal and claimed that got them 60fps all the time as well, but it causes noticable slowdowns (but it stays 60fps Wink). That said, compared to other games VU cycle steal doesn't cause too much slowdown and is often bareable as long as you keep it to moderate or lower. It all depends on your pain threshold for slowdowns.
(11-20-2009, 03:27 AM)Koji Wrote: [ -> ]On those same or slower machines, they neglect to say that they are tilting the camera forward. That is, the camera (right control stick) is pushed forward so you can't see very far in front of your characters. Less geometry on the screen, less that needs to be emulated, which means faster speed. I know, my last computer was a similar system.

Some people turned on VU cycle steal and claimed that got them 60fps all the time as well, but it causes noticable slowdowns (but it stays 60fps Wink). That said, compared to other games VU cycle steal doesn't cause too much slowdown and is often bareable as long as you keep it to moderate or lower. It all depends on your pain threshold for slowdowns.

thought there was some sort of bull to it ;P! On mine I have DX11 set in GSDX and have it to native resolution!

Speed Hacks:

(EE) Sync Hacks I have 1.5x cycle
(EE) Misc. Hacks INTC Sync Hack, Enable IOP x2 CR, idel-loop-FF
(VU) Status Flag Hack, VU Cycle set to moderate

CPU specs I have everything set then the limiter is set to normal fps! I just want to know if these settings are doing anything for FFXII and wanted to know if it is working as in if I walk into a room with a lot of geometry then VU stealing is speeding up fps vs. if I walk into a room with no geometry then VU stealing is an extra resource not being used slowing down fps?

Thanx for the help, hope that made sense! ;P
Wanted to say that I actually found a good setup that runs framerates at 60fps mostly but during fmv's it's around 50-55. I disabled micro compiling under cpu and disabled all the speed hacks besides Enable IOP and Idle-Loop-FF, I had no clue that you could do this while the game was running so it made it a lot easier testing different settings out and checking the fps. Micro compiling made the game lose about 15-20fps while the other speed hacks weren't doing anything at all for fps. Figured I would post this for a reference to any1 else, on the graphics note I used DX11(Hardware) in native resolution, and unticked wait for v-sync. I also realized that DX10 made the game lose about 3-5fps and DX9 it was roughly the same as DX11. Thanx for the help peeps and happy gaming!

P.S Wanted to add that disabling windows aero greatly improves performance!