..:: PCSX2 Forums ::..

Full Version: How to overclock my PC(Laptop)
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Well I've heard that when you overclock your PC,you gett more GHz and can play PCSX2 in bigger speed.Now first i want to know,does overclocking work on Laptops?If yes,how can I do it?
1. Laptops arent meant for gaming ( and especialy not for emulation ), laptops are mobile "Microsoft Word's"
2. Laptops are underclocked compared to stationary PC's, because they lack proper cooling system, thats why they burn easily.
3. If you attempt overclocking your laptop with the knowledge you have, you will most likely breake it, since it requires to increse the voltage and core speed, which increse generated heat, which require instaling better heatsinks.
4. With your CPU, even if you overlock it, you wont see any noticable speedup ( your laptop is just bad )

if you realy want to try and overclock it, read some guides, for example this: http://www.overclock.net/intel-cpus/1567...guide.html
I really don't recommend overclocking a laptop either.

Compared to desktops, laptops are far more constricted with ventilation, so it's not as good of an idea to mess around with overclocking on laptops lol.

To overclock you have to enter your BIOS settings, usually achieved by pressing one of F1, F10, F11, Del, or some other button/combination of buttons. Each manufacturer/BIOS uses their own key combination, but it's usually listed right when you turn your computer on as 'Press XX to enter your BIOS settings' or something.

Your BIOS settings may have the CPU speed locked though. For example, I think all HP computers, even desktops, do not allow overclocking through their BIOS. To fix that I think you'd have to flash/overwrite your BIOS and install something custom, but I don't recommend that at all.

On a desktop you would be able to easily replace the motherboard easily, but this is probably not possible for virtually all people with a laptop lol.

Anyway back to main point, I don't recommend trying to overclock your laptop either. Just be happy your computer is working for now and wait for updates for PCSX2 to make it even faster Smile

You should be able to play a few good games at full speed or good speeds. I'm sure FF X or Kingdom Hearts would work with a lower speed than full, but playable.
Why would you OC your laptop? If you wanted a "Gaming" PC, stick with desktops. You can install aftermarket coolers for desktops that manage heat a LOT better than their laptop counterparts. And they are also a lot more cheaper to build.

Laptop CPU's run hot even on their stock settings. Most OEM PC manufacturers will lock their bios settings anyway, so no Hardware OC will be possible.

And since you can't custom build a laptop, you can pretty much forget OC'ing your laptop through means of hardware. There are software solutions available, but they are tedious to use and will screw up your hardware.

The overall consensus of this forum is basically, don't OC your laptop. PCSX2 is not worth damaging your hardware over. Especially since you have your own PS2 to play the games flawlessly.
its not very smart to overclock laptops...
not worthed..
ur shorten the lifespan of ur hardware..
plus possible to void the warranty..
buy a desktop instead
laptop are much expensive than ur already own ps2 Tongue
First, laptops aren't for game playing. They usually get too hot if used at 100%(and games often use hardwares at 100%), that is the purpose for the stops.
If you overclock, you will danger a burnout.
If you want to try it anyway, don't use a software, step in the BIOS and modify the FSB speed and CPU clock configurations and multipliers, along with the modify of currents. It's a delecate process, but contemporary hardwares have built-in overclock failing protection.
The heat range increase will most probably avoid any appropriate speed improve, and since it's fairly challenging to set up more powerful lovers, it will not value it.
Overclocking a laptop's processor is not often possible.

To do it properly, you would need to do it in the system's BIOS.
If your laptop is OEM, then it's basically guaranteed that the options are not even there.
This would conclude the possiblity of doing it properly (and therefor safely).

You are now left with the slim chance of using software (e.g. SetFSB).
Even if you happen to have a compatible clock generator,
you are still putting you system at risk by not having full control over everything changing.
And with any luck, you'll probably only gain a few hundred Mhz at best.

Can that help?
Yes.

Will it help?
Most likely not, or not enough.
I'd figure odds are higher that the integrated GPU is holding you back often, anyway.
Never overclock a laptop.. NEVER
Mine running at stock speed and the temp when gaming is 75 - 80 degree depending on environment temp. Imagine I overclocked it.
Pages: 1 2