..:: PCSX2 Forums ::..

Full Version: Which config is better?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Hi guys. I'm planning of building a new rig with these two possible combos in my budget.
A. Phenom II X4 955 BE stock 3.2 ghz + Sapphire HD 5770 1GB.

B. Core i5 750 stock 2.66 ghz+ GTS 250 1 GB.

Which combo is better for pcsx2? I won't overclock the cpu. I'll use 4gb ram.
I want to play wwe games.Thanks.
i going for "B"

Nvidia and Pcsx2 client loves GSdx and complete SSEs set(Intel)
Depends if your machine is going to be an exclusive PCSX2 thing, or if you want a general awesome gaming rig.

As tallbender has said, B is definitely the better pure PCSX2 machine. Both will be great general game machines, but A will be a better "future proof" machine as games move into DX11 support.

Either machine will play PCSX2 very well and the vast majority of games should be playable on either machine. Both machines are also in good positions to be upgradable in the future.
Thanks a lot for your help. My first preference is Gta iv, second is pcsx2. Can i play wwe smackdown vs raw series on pcsx2 on both combos at 60+ fps.
Option B to me. Core i5 is great investment. And eventhough ATI cards are better, Nvidea ones are great as well. Both will run the emulator fine. With some games that like software mode more than hardware mode, then it's best to have enough CPU power, the Intel is then better than the AMD one.
You can see in my signature that my Core i5 is clocked at 3.66Ghz. Thats 1Ghz higher than stock. I did a mild OC on my CPU, and the best part is, my mainboard handles all voltage and clock settings automatically. The slowest it will go is 3.2Ghz, and the fastest is 3.8Ghz.

I do not have anything that taxes my CPU at the moment. (aside for PCSX2.) The OC results you will get will vary on the CPU you get and the mainboard/ram. I am playing Smackdown Vs Raw 2010 at 60FPS on my rig, and my GPU is older than the one you are selecting.

I am not bashing on AMD/ATI, but hands down clock for clock Intel will beat AMD processors. Especially with respect for PCSX2. The added Instruction set and technology give Intel the advantage. Now that the LGA1156 socket came out, AMD has no excuse, nor the price to performance ratio.

The Core i5 will also kill GTAIV. I would honestly hold out on the DirectX 11 card. Barely a few games take advantage of DirectX 11 and PCSX2 does not use it either. You would be better off with the Core i5 combo, and by the time Nvidia's DirectX 11 card lineup comes rolling around, the ATI rival cards will get cheaper.

Honestly, You pay more (not much more anymore) for the Core i5/Nvidia combo but you get what you pay for. One of the good things about the Core i5, is that thank's to Turbo Boost technology, the CPU will automatically OC itself depending on the load and TDP/heat.

But if you get either combo, be sure to get an after market cooler. Both stock fans will suck and will barely cool the CPU at stock settings. Don't skimp on the paste either. Arctic Silver 5 is more expensive, but it shaves off 5-10c on average. A pea sized amount will do the job.
Thanks. I'm completely bent towards i5 now hearing all your suggestions.
I've heard that lga 1156 has socket burning problem. Will it be okay if voltage is kept under 1.4v during overclocking?
@decode1984: Doesn't i5 reach 60fps on stock clock speed in pcsx2?
Probably.Smile Core i5 is faster than C2D. And a midrange C2D will do the job in PCSX2 already. Keep the i5 overclocking as reserve.
Thanks guys. Then, Core i5 all the way.
Well I have not heard of the socket burning problem. But I would imagine there is if you went with a cheap mainboard. I spent some money on my Intel board. Which to my shocking discovery, is actually a decent overclocker.

And it also handles all my voltages/clock speeds automatically. You should be able to run Smackdown Vs. Raw 2010 at 60Fps stock. Considering that under load, you are 100% sure that you will get at least a 2.8Ghz clock on the i5, thanks to Turbo Boost.

The good thing about Turbo Boost is that you don't have to adjust settings for an OC. The CPU does it automatically depending on the load and TDP/heat. When all 4 cores are active at stock it clocks at 2.8Ghz, 3 cores is 3Ghz, 1 core clocks at 3.2Ghz.

I would HIGHLY recommend an after market CPU cooler and Arctic Silver thermal compound though. If you are planning on a mild OC, (which this beast can definitely handle, a lot of people have got it to clock at 4Ghz on air.) the stock cooler runs REALLY hot. I mean like 75-85c.

That is WAY too hot and will kill the lifespan of the CPU. and 1.4v is a little high but tolerable. Any voltages above that is not safe. But you should be able to get a good OC without having to go up more than 1.3v. But OC's will vary on the CPU, Mainboard, and Ram used.

I might also add, that with my current OC, I tried out DirectX 10 software rendering with 3 threads, and I get 60Fps on most games. God bless Intel, and their Core i5 CPU!
Pages: 1 2