..:: PCSX2 Forums ::..

Full Version: I know laptops aren't recommended but...
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
(first ever post, wooo!) Happy
will this laptop work at a reasonable frame rate?
I'm not sure myself as I've never emulated.
I can run Fallout 3 (PC) great on full detail...
But I have noticed people saying this emulator is more demanding of CPU than anything else.

DirectX: 11
GRAPHICS: Dual NVIDIA 512mb 9800M GTs in SLI
RAM: 4GB
CPU: Intel core duo T8300 @2.4 GHz

I've yet to dump my bios, but I'm wandering if it'll be worth it?

I've read through the forums and came across people talking about speed hacks quite a bit, but people conflicting over them eventually breaking your games or not, so I'm not quite sure how to approach these?

Also recommended plugins and resolution settings for performance not quality would be greatly appreciated.

If it helps I'll be running PAL ISOs created from my original games.

Slightly demanding first post I know, but any help at all is appreciated! Biggrin
I am a newby to this site and I don't know how to post a question. Can somebody please help meWackoWacko
It depends on the games you want to play, the specs aren't exactly good but they are not bad either so you will probably get playable speeds but again depends on the games.

Speedhacks can help emulation speed but they can also break your games, again depends on your games how well will the speedhacks work.
(01-15-2010, 06:17 AM)Shadow Lady Wrote: [ -> ]It depends on the games you want to play, the specs aren't exactly good but they are not bad either so you will probably get playable speeds but again depends on the games.

It's pretty much gonna be Kingdom Hearts 1 & 2, and the Final Fantasy series.
Then yeah shouldn't have much of a problem.
Need to add that with my laptop with lesser specs i dont really find much problems
Intel core duo T7300 @2.0 GHz
(01-17-2010, 12:15 AM)Mookiee Wrote: [ -> ]Need to add that with my laptop with lesser specs i dont really find much problems
Intel core duo T7300 @2.0 GHz

I've set up everything including getting my bios from my Ps2 (European) and on FFX I've not hit below 45 frames per second (PAL). I have a logitech gamepanel on my keyboard and I don't go over 75% CPU so that's good (still high though). I've just gotta watch because it's a laptop it is prone to high temperatures, so I'll calm down just too make sure it doesn't over heat. Which brings me to another point. Any recommended cooling systems for laptops whilst were here?? (if any) I know it's a PCSX2 Forum so sorry if I go off topic.

P.S was happy enough using a keyboard till I started playing KH and realised you need an analogue controller to progress, about to use the 64 bit controller thread to install my sixaxis. Happy
P.S.S no need for speed hack yet!!
If you just need to use one analog stick, I recommend using the following button setup in Lilypad:

W/A/S/D - Left analog stick

Numpad 8 - Triangle
Numpad 4 - Square
Numpad 5 - Cross
Numpad 6 - Circle

L1,L2,R1,R2 can be anything you want (near the WASD or numpad keys, obviously).

This works for most games except FPSes for me, and it's not really any harder than using a pad. Hope that helps. Wink (Additionally, you could bind the right analog stick controls to other numpad keys or a section on your keyboard)

Also, regarding your laptop specs, I'm running FFX on a weaker spec laptop (Core 2 Duo T6600 2.2 Ghz, 4 GB RAM, Ati Mobility Radeon HD 4670 XT 1 GB, Win 7 Home Premium 64bit), and it's fully playable in 1920x1080 res and D3D10 hardware mode. You definitely don't have any problems with that system.
(01-17-2010, 11:10 AM)Finzy Wrote: [ -> ]Also, regarding your laptop specs, I'm running FFX on a weaker spec laptop (Core 2 Duo T6600 2.2 Ghz, 4 GB RAM, Ati Mobility Radeon HD 4670 XT 1 GB, Win 7 Home Premium 64bit), and it's fully playable in 1920x1080 res and D3D10 hardware mode. You definitely don't have any problems with that system.

I have Direct X 11 and the plugin only has options up to 10, will this effect anything? I know the beta supported up to 11 but for the life of me I couldn't get it working for some reason, even running as the only account and admin of the comp. I'm an emu newbie like my sig says, so going straight to beta was probably a bad idea, especially since it's only unofficially supported at the moment.

I use the gsdx SSE3 graphics plugin, is this the right option for my comp specs? What internal res should i get good quality and comfortable speeds? Suppose it doesn't matter if you're running it at that res that's not far off my normal max res on my monitor anyway.

+thanks for all the support guys, for once forums that everyone can get help from, PS2 emulation is definitely popular at the moment.
Quote:I have Direct X 11 and the plugin only has options up to 10, will this effect anything? I know the beta supported up to 11 but for the life of me I couldn't get it working for some reason, even running as the only account and admin of the comp

DX11 functions of the gsdx plugin are still in alpha stages, totally broken and have no benefit over DX10. So use DX10

Quote:I use the gsdx SSE3 graphics plugin, is this the right option for my comp specs? What internal res should i get good quality and comfortable speeds?

Yes. Depends on the game, just try and find out. It does matter, internal res has no connection to your monitor res. It's the resolution the textures will be rendered at, so the higher the better quality you get
Pages: 1 2 3