..:: PCSX2 Forums ::..

Full Version: Would a faster HDD mean a speedup?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hey guys,

my question is already asked in the thread title: Since my old HDD is finally (^^) broken now, I'll get a new one. This one will most likely be a little faster. In fact, it'll be 7.200 rpm. I still have to check the speed of my old one, weren't able to do it now, since it is a (former) Buy-PC and I don't know the name of the HDD. But I also ask the question in general: Does a faster HDD cause a speedup?
No, not at all except if you were using something like a USB HDD before.
7200 rpm HDDs are pretty much the standard for desktops, and anything over that is only worth buying if you want a super hardcore pc, because the amount of storage on them is very little for the price.

I wouldn't be surprised if yours has already been equipped with a 7200 rpm one anyway. Though you might wanna take a look at the cache of the HDD you'll buy, go with 32 MB and perpendicular recording, those are top end HDDs usually and they are cheap as butter
Yes it will.

point half second faster in loading speed I suppose ....
(01-27-2010, 02:40 AM)kirisame Wrote: [ -> ]Yes it will.
point half second faster in loading speed I suppose ....

That is just the variation of the fps counter.
yeah. It does not matter for pcsx2.
I just want to give you this link. Thats where you could see the difference between the lastest HDDs (PC games loading time and OS booting time):
http://www.bit-tech.net/hardware/storage...b-review/9

i guess Samsung Spinpoint F3 1TB is the winner now (among regular 7200 HDDs), i have Seagate 1TB 7200.12 which is not far behind.
(01-26-2010, 08:09 PM)Bositman Wrote: [ -> ]No, not at all except if you were using something like a USB HDD before.

OK, thanks, I thought so. But well, asking never hurts! Thanks guys!