..:: PCSX2 Forums ::..

Full Version: performance
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I got a new computer, [email protected] 6gb ram intel graphic hd(plan to upgrade later to at least a 250gtx). Okay my question is there any difference between gsdx plugins or is that only to allow newer sse to be use properly and to get compatibility with older cpu. Second is there a generally compatibly difference between gsdx and zerogs like one is generally more compatible . Also I know my graphic card is far from idea for ps2 emulation how much performance difference would that graphic card mean for ps2 emulation(I don't need any generally pc gaming comparison).
You can use the SSE4 GSdx version. GSdx is usually the fastest and most compatible plugin but ZeroGS/ZZOgl will work better in some specific games.

If you mean difference between the integrated card and the GTX295 it's a very big difference, with the integrated card you may need to have native resolution enabled for most games and even then it will not be enough speed in most cases, the GTX295 being a high end card will not be much of a bottleneck for your games unless you use ridiculous resolutions.
I said gtx250. however I don't need to much in resolution so native is fine until I can get it. I was wonder if there was any compatibly difference between the gsdx version or if it really make a difference.
by the way I am use to run emulators(normally ps1\n64) and pc game and difference of graphic cards. but I was wondering how much difference it had a normal settings. Also has a 64 bit version of ps2 emulator ever been release out of curiosity. And not factoring gpu how would that cpu do with ps2 emulation as a relativity new at ps2 emulation in comparison to like you cpu or a core dual at a similar clock. My laptop wasn't able to get any decent speed or anything due to the cpu\gpu was a core dual [email protected]\nvidia geforce 7400 go so it wasn't possible to get a decent performance out of it.
My apologies I misread, there is no GTX250 however and if you mean GTS250 it's basically the same for that matter, more than needed for pcsx2 needs.

There's always differences between GSdx revisions but it depends on the game that you want to run really but if you mean difference between SSE versions they basically just can be faster than the other by a bit or none at all depending on the game/scene playing and it goes like SSE4 > SSSE3 > SSE2 but again this depends on the game or scene, in most case you would probably get no performance difference.

Yes there was a 64bit version before but it was dropped since it was a lot more difficult to maintain 2 versions of the emulator and the performance gains were either not noticeable or worth it, there might be a new 64bit version if devs so want to try it.

The recommended CPU is a 3.2GHz Core 2 Duo CPU, the i3 is about 3-10% faster at same clocks I guess so you would be OK on that matter but even with that some games may require more power. Your old CPU and specially GPU were a little bit slower than needed for pcsx2 emulation indeed.
But...but...GTX250 doesn't exist...
There's only a GTS250.
Anyways, yeah a GTS250 will do nicely.
No 64-bit version, because it's too much work for just a slight gain in performance (and by slight I mean unnoticeable/insignificant/minimal/nominal/etc).
Emulation itself is dependent on the CPU clock rate.
Higher clock => faster emulation
In short, your new system should do nicely, although I would have:
a) bought a processor with a higher clock rate (3.2 GHz or higher...dual core i5)
or
b) overclock the processor to 3.2 GHz or higher (although with that stupid onboard GPU, it's going to be tricky)
3.2 GHz will let you play most games at fullspeed.

...This is what happens when you try to write a lab report and post in a forum at the same time.
I try overclocking however it a prebuilt so the bios don't have the options. I can't find software though that can do it though. I remember reading somewhere on tomhardware or a similar site that without modding the voltage a overclock somewhere 3.4 was possible. writing a lab report same time lol.
For the record, when they did it they also fried the chip because the IGP on die couldn't take it. So I don't know if that would really be possible.
huh, I however did the cpu still work, however it was 3.3 not 3.4 without modifying the voltage I using this a reference http://www.anandtech.com/cpuchipsets/sho...spx?i=3724. If it only fried the igp part of the chip then providing the memory controller on the gpu was intact I could waiting until I have a seperate card.