..:: PCSX2 Forums ::..

Full Version: building a pc
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
im building a new pc and one of the goals is to be able to run pcsx2 with most of my games at full speed. i hear it is more cpu dependent than video card.. so i should focus getting the best possible processor i can afford, correct? if that's the case, can someone please recommend me the best "bang for buck" processor that should be able to run most games at full speed? i was looking at a AMD Phenom II X4 965 Black Edition 3.4GHz Socket AM3 125W Quad-Core Processor .. should that be good? or would i need to step up to an i7? thanks.
That proccessor should be good enough for most games to run at full speed. And even though as you said cpu is more important, dont neglect a good graphic card. It can help a lot with speed in graphic heavy games and its neccecary if you want to increase the resolution. If you dont really care about resolution, then a 9600gt will be good enough. I would recommend you get atleast a 9800gt if its in your budget though, its a really diffrent feel to your old games to run them at high resolutions.
(03-07-2010, 09:56 PM)GamerGeek Wrote: [ -> ]That proccessor should be good enough for most games to run at full speed. And even though as you said cpu is more important, dont neglect a good graphic card. It can help a lot with speed in graphic heavy games and its neccecary if you want to increase the resolution. If you dont really care about resolution, then a 9600gt will be good enough. I would recommend you get atleast a 9800gt if its in your budget though, its a really diffrent feel to your old games to run them at high resolutions.

yeh i actually have a 9600gt right now, that i planned on throwing in my new pc. i will be upgrading that too at some point soon enough but it still plays any pc game i throw at it at medium settings fine.. my processor and memory on the other hand is what is bottlenecking most things whenever i have a problem. tried out pcsx2 earlier last year and couldnt get any of my games to run at playable speeds so thought i'd wait until fast enough cpu's were more affordable. do you think i would benefit by waiting even longer for even faster cpus? or will they all just be overkill for pcsx2?
Well that cpu your looking at should be fairly similar to my own(at stock which is what its curently at) when it comes to pcsx2. At stock there are quite a few of my games I dont feel like playing since the speed just isnt good enough. However given that the new 9.7 version will be able to use 3 threads that amd processor should be able to handle just about any game. Now since I dont really understand how this function would work though I cannot say anything for sure. All I can really say is Im quite happy with the results my processor has had on pcsx2 and that amd processor should perform slightly better if not much better dpending on how 9.7 turns out.
hm alright thanks for the quick helpful responses. is there a processor on the consumer market that can currently run every game fully? or is the the technology just not fully there yet? (either by processors or the pcsx2 program itself)

i'm not in a huge rush to buy anything since my rig can still play most modern pc games at medium settings which is good enough for me, but when i do upgrade i want it to be able to handle pcsx2
Dunno, there is currently no cpu that would be an overkill for pcsx2 xD
How about a nice GPU aswel? That will imporove your chances of getting the PCSX2 working at full speed. remember though, it realy is very much game dependant, but im sure you know that.