..:: PCSX2 Forums ::..

Full Version: Core 2 Quad vs Core i3
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
Which is better? Core 2 Quad or Core i3?

Which one will give more fps or do better in pcsx2?
Core 2 Quad have sse4.1 n Core i3 have sse4.2, would Core i3 gives more advantage to pcsx2?

i have Core 2 Quad OC to 3ghz (stock speed is 2.66ghz)
my friend have Core i3 2.1ghz..

i just want to compare with my friend.
Yours should be faster at stated speeds but if the I3 were oc to 3ghz it will be faster.
depend on your core 2 model, l3 cache and clock speed but most core 2 quad is slower than i3 clock to clock (not by much).
Mine is Q8400.

by the way, obscured, how do you OC your processor that high?
huge cooling heatsink?
Tuniq Tower heatsink and a decent mobo for ocing. Got lucky and got a oc happy cpu but all wolfdales should hit 3.8-4ghz.
(07-16-2010, 12:35 PM)rosli_2252 Wrote: [ -> ]Mine is Q8400.

huge cooling heatsink?

then yes core i3 would be faster clock to clock most of the time since yours has crippled l2 cache shared across 4 cores.
(07-16-2010, 12:35 PM)rosli_2252 Wrote: [ -> ]Mine is Q8400.

huge cooling heatsink?

going from 2.66 to 3.00 is nothing.... not even 400mhz OC i have a 600mhz oc on stock volts and my cpu is a bad overclocker lol
(07-16-2010, 12:00 PM)rosli_2252 Wrote: [ -> ]Which is better? Core 2 Quad or Core i3?

Which one will give more fps or do better in pcsx2?
Core 2 Quad have sse4.1 n Core i3 have sse4.2, would Core i3 gives more advantage to pcsx2?

i have Core 2 Quad OC to 3ghz (stock speed is 2.66ghz)
my friend have Core i3 2.1ghz..

i just want to compare with my friend.

For sure i3 will be lot faster than core 2 quad and the one with 3.2GHz stock clock would be pretty sensible only if the price will be lower at least $30 because now it's too expensive for it's performance. There is also new core i5 680 with 3.6 GHz stock clock but the price almost at i7 875K level makes it just stupidity. Btw the only difference between i3 and i5 6xx is that first doesn't have turbo-boost.
Is the core i3 seriously faster than the quad? I looked up the benchmarks and saw that the Quad gets a 3888 score on the 3DMark CPU test while the Core i3 330M (which is the 2.1 ghz core i3 his friend has) got a 2205 average on the same test. Maybe it's just for that specific test?

Quad:
http://www.desktopreview.com/default.asp...+Quad+Core

Core i3:
http://www.notebookcheck.net/Intel-Core-...753.0.html
Again... if you're gonna OC to the same clock speed then the i3 will be better but if you're gonna keep it as it is then the quad will be better.

PC benchmarks aren't that accurate specially if you're interested on the PCSX2 performance only.
Pages: 1 2 3