..:: PCSX2 Forums ::..

Full Version: Sound Plugins Slow.. any ideas?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
hi there.. ive managed to get pcsx2 running excellent as far as video and gameplay but no matter what i change, the sound is still horrible... is this just the state of the emulator or am i missing something?

My pc is relatively new and good specs (minus sound card) : i7 920 oc 3.8ghz, ati radeon hd 5650 1gb ddr5, 6gb ddr3. I can get excellent framerates at really high resolutions but no matter what settings i pick, the sound always stutters and lags horribly.

Its hard to say which one works better as they all are bad, i guess the zeroSPU2 r514-dev 0.4.6 is the best but i also have the P.E.Op.S. SPU2 1.9.0 and the SPU2-x 1.1.0. Out of the 3 of these none of them sound all that smooth. On the zerospu2 0.4.6 ive tried enabling time scaling and real time mode and trying different combinations but they dont seem to help all that much. I still get this horrible crackling or complete stuttering in cutscenes and much of the music. The time scaling may have helped a tiny bit..

any other plugins out there? or ideas of what i might be doing wrong? it would be really nice to play games with smooth sound.. or is that simply not supported yet? thanks for any ideas
cheers Smile
What games did you try? What speeds did you get? What settings did you use?
Somehow I must lol about i7 @3,8GHz and a 5650...Lemme guess, prebuilt "gamer" PC? Well then, the CPU is very good however the GPU will be a bottleneck in some games. It's still decent though and will yield good results, if you don't pump up the internal resolution. And just like Shadow Lady said, we need more info. Maybe it's a wrong speed hack, a bad ISO and so on and so on. We cannot say with this info.
Check your FPS. If it's below full speed (50FPS PAL, 60FPS NTSC) then sound quality will suffer.
Also do as others suggested and update to PCSX2 0.9.7. Use SPU2-X 1.4 that comes with it.
yea prebuilt.. but whats to lol about? it was cheap like 800 bucks.. couldnt build from separate parts any cheaper and someday i can get a faster graphics card but for now i get full fps at cranked up internal res so im fine. os is win7 x64 just to add info...

anyways, this new beta is amazing Smile love it. the sound is perfect now but it yields a diff problem, with the graphics. im getting like screen tears for some reason. A game will run fine for awhile (am playing devil may cry 1 atm) but then the screen will glitch out and the sky will appear at the bottom of the screen or something similiar will happen. I tried a few diff graphics settings but it still seems to happen. any ideas? in 0.9.6 i wasnt getting graphics glitches like this
well .0.9.6 was the latest "stable" release, and .0.9.7 is the "beta" release, so theoretically the beta release will be buggier than the "stable" release, since things break all the time in svn. Compatibility is relatively hit or miss in many regards, especially with something as complex as ps2 emulation. If you can compile on your own you could track down the bug in as few as 11 tries (theoretically, using a binary search, best case scenario) and report it, and the devs might fix it eventually. Or you can just live with it Smile since that's what ya gotta do most of the time.
(07-22-2010, 05:46 AM)synex Wrote: [ -> ]yea prebuilt.. but whats to lol about? it was cheap like 800 bucks.. couldnt build from separate parts any cheaper and someday i can get a faster graphics card but for now i get full fps at cranked up internal res so im fine. os is win7 x64 just to add info...

anyways, this new beta is amazing Smile love it. the sound is perfect now but it yields a diff problem, with the graphics. im getting like screen tears for some reason. A game will run fine for awhile (am playing devil may cry 1 atm) but then the screen will glitch out and the sky will appear at the bottom of the screen or something similiar will happen. I tried a few diff graphics settings but it still seems to happen. any ideas? in 0.9.6 i wasnt getting graphics glitches like this

Add "allowhacks=1" to gsdx.ini (it adds two optional hacks to GSDX properties) and while in-game check if "offset hack" or "alpha hack" fixes the problem.
(07-22-2010, 07:56 AM)Urisma Wrote: [ -> ]well .0.9.6 was the latest "stable" release, and .0.9.7 is the "beta" release, so theoretically the beta release will be buggier than the "stable" release, since things break all the time in svn.

Actually the beta is tons better and more compatible than 0.9.6 was.
The new GUI just isn't completely done in it, and some new emulation paths are wip, hence the beta designation.
The emulation as a whole is a lot more complete and correct Wink