..:: PCSX2 Forums ::..

Full Version: HELP ME IM NEW
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi,

Im new to this PS2 Emulator, im wondering whether it will run games ( Mainly Fight Night Round 3 and Tekken Games) at a speed worth playing on my system:

AMD X4 Phenom II 965 Black Edition (3.4GHz)
4GB Kingston DDR2 1066
XFX GTX 260 Black Edition
Asus M4N72-E

And could someone please help me with configuring the plugins, I have the latest PCSX2 0.97.

Thanks
Callum
it should run at playable speeds, as long as you don't push interal res too high. to configure properley : http://pcsx2.net/guide.php
Hello callum92. If my CPU was a 6.4 yours would be like a 47.4 but you could only use half of that in PCSX2 since only 2 cores are supported. Those are in terms of billions of floating point operations a second. I'm getting full speed on FFX, half speed on MGS3 and 3/4 speed on FFXII, so you should be able to run most games without a problem. The only game I could think of that would tax your CPU much would be Tekken 5.

If you want to see how my performance is, take a look:

Get GSDX 0.1.9, SPUX-2 and Lilypad 0.1.0, these are the best plugins for most games.

Use speedhacks when possible, I can only run the games at the speeds mentioned if I use the speedhacks.

EE cycle rate -33 or -50% helps with games that weren't limited by the PS2s computational ability, VU cycle stealing mild, moderate or maximum helps with games that tax your CPU for the Emotion Engine portion but don't quite 'deliver' when it comes to pre-processing the display lists. I double my Framerate in FFX with both maxed, and I check Wait Loop Hack for the extra 10% it provides.

The slowest Core 2 Duo I could buy [1.8 ghz] is still less than or is 10% faster than my CPU @ 4.25 ghz with HT (in perfect circumstances where HT makes for a 30-50% boost like the full 50% in PCSX2 for example), so this is a good way of testing the absolute 'minimum' requirement.
interesting video. keep in mind that using speedhacks fakes fps counter at the top of gsdx window...
Wow thanks for the quick response, was expecting to be waiting for ages.
Very helpfull, ive followed most of the settings you posted and have got average gameplay on fight night round 3 but i get some missing textures like blacked out faces and patches missing in the ring.
Also the sound skips a few bits and repeats itself at random and when it does this the FPS and gameplay slows but then speeds back up again.
Could this be due to speed hacks i have EE Cyclerate at %33 and VU Cylce Stealing on Mild.
What setting do you recommend on the SPU2-X plugin?

@jesalvein
I have just ticked "native" on the internal res.
Not sure what it's native to though.
(07-24-2010, 12:43 PM)jesalvein Wrote: [ -> ]interesting video. keep in mind that using speedhacks fakes fps counter at the top of gsdx window...

True, so it's only rendering 30-50 FPS but it's smooth enough throughout the entire game so far to be considered completely playable.

Usually only EE -33% or -50% have to be used and VU cycle stealing moderate or maximum (more compatible as moderate)

Someone said they were able to get an older build of PCSX2 running 40-50 FPS on a single core... I wonder how that's even possible. It works for me but I'm using the latest beta and I had to tweak everything down to detail and I have hyperthreading (which PCSX2 happens to love, and I reap the full benefits of which because PCSX2 is so compatible with HT and DC procs)
(07-24-2010, 02:22 PM)callum92 Wrote: [ -> ]Wow thanks for the quick response, was expecting to be waiting for ages.
Very helpfull, ive followed most of the settings you posted and have got average gameplay on fight night round 3 but i get some missing textures like blacked out faces and patches missing in the ring.
Also the sound skips a few bits and repeats itself at random and when it does this the FPS and gameplay slows but then speeds back up again.
Could this be due to speed hacks i have EE Cyclerate at %33 and VU Cylce Stealing on Mild.
What setting do you recommend on the SPU2-X plugin?

@jesalvein
I have just ticked "native" on the internal res.
Not sure what it's native to though.

Nearest, disable effects, Async mix (not time stretching). Sometimes you'll get missing textures with GSDX, but a VM restart or loading a state which isn't missing textures usually works.
Lower the latency to 50 ms, that way you won't have any desynchronization. I don't get any even when the emulation is going 10-20% over in 'perceived execution speed'.

I've deduced that halving the EE cycle rate just halves the time-frame but it doesn't change the frame-times. In short, your still getting the same framerate... BUT your actual emulation speed [in terms of CPU] is literally faster than real-time [or the 'perceived execution speed' you would get without the EE cyclerate -50% hack]. This will only work with games that weren't very taxing on the PS2 though (Like FFX, Futurama and games like that)

It would be interesting if you could change the EE cyclerate more or change the speed of the vector units. In *crackpot* theory if you were to halve the EE cycle rate and double the dominant vector unit cycle rate (or the IOP) you could reduce perceptible lag by doing the inverse of the time-stretch effect on rendering while keeping emulation speed optimal.

I'm not really sure what halving the IOP will do, besides 'doubling' it's perceived speed in a perfect scenario.
What about the 6 options at the bottom of GSDX9:
NLOOP Hack Enable tv-out
Texture Filtering Logarithimic-Z
Wait Vsync Alpha Correction (FBA)

I no what tv-out and Vsync are but not sure about the other 4
update to the new beta (3113?) as it's been much improved
(07-24-2010, 05:05 PM)Saiki Wrote: [ -> ]update to the new beta (3113?) as it's been much improved

I have it's version 0.9.7 (r3113).