..:: PCSX2 Forums ::..

Full Version: FFX on Macbook Pro
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi all, this is my first post after reading just about everything on the forum...

First up let me say a COLOSSAL thank you to the devs of pcsx2, not only are some games playable thanks to this, but they look even better than how they were initially set out to be shown. You guys are awesome and this is truly a possitive step in the emulation world.

Second onto my problem, I have a 2010 Macbook Pro (i7 Mobile 620 @ 2.66ghz, 8gb ddr3, gt330m 512mb gfx) running windows 7 64bit. I'm trying to play FFX (dumped from my Aus PAL version) but am getting some pretty awesome slow down in some areas.

For the most part the game plays OK 40-50fps in towns and blitzball. Entering in and out of battle I get slowdown down to 20-30fps and the audio slow down and sound crap, but when the actual fighting begins in the battle and it comes to selecting your moves it shoots back upto the full 50fps, even with summons.

The world map is just about a joke with fps running down to around 10-20 and sound playing in slow motion. Most FMVs play relatively smooth but the sound stutters and sometimes video slows down.

After reading and reading the general sort of opinion is that the CPU would be the weak point, that would atleast explain the slow down in something more cpu intensive like the world map. I've tried running with and without speed hacks (all enabled except the mVU hacks and IOP x2, EE cyclerate is 2, VU cycle is 0) but it doesnt seem to do anything to increse the speed. Here is my config:

Version: PCSX2 0.9.7.3113
GS: GSdx 3068 (MVSC 15.00, SSE41) 0.1.16
-Renderer: Direct3D 10/11 (Hardware)
-Interlacing (I keep changing this to see what looks best)
-Scaling 2x
-HW AA 2x
-Texture Filtering ON
-Allow 8-bit textures ON
PAD: LillyPad svn (r2930) 0.10.0
SPU2: SPU2-X r3117 1.4.0
-Interpolation: 1 - Linear
-Reverb: 1x
-Output Module 1 - XAudio 2
-Latency: 150ms
-Synchronizing Mode: TimeStretch
-Audio Expansion: Stereo
CDVD: cdvdGigaherz (r3006) 0.8.0
USB: Usbnull
FW: FWnull
DEV9: DEV9null

Emulation Settings:

EmotionEngine: Recompiler
IOP: Recompiler
EE/FPU
-Round Mode: Nearest
-Clamping Mode: Full
Flush to Zero ON
Denormals are Zero ON

VU0: microVU Recompiler
VU1: microVU Recompiler
VU0/VU1
-Round Mode: Nearest
-Clamping Mode: Normal
Flush to Zero ON
Denormals are Zero ON

GS
All features untouched

Window Aspect Ration 4:3

Speedhacks:

EE Cyclerate: 2x
VU Cycle Stealing: 0
Enable INTC Spind Detection ON
Enable Wait Loop Detection ON
IOP x2 cycle rate hack OFF
microVU hacks OFF

FFX Game Fix ON

If anyone could offer me any advice on what I can do to speed this up to as it should it would be HUGELY appreciated.

Thanks!
You'll have much better luck posting this on the mac portion of the forums.
(08-16-2010, 03:05 AM)Vincenth Wrote: [ -> ]You'll have much better luck posting this on the mac portion of the forums.

Thanks! I thought treating it like it was just a Windows laptop as its running windows 7 was the trick, but will definitely post it up in the mac section also!
(08-16-2010, 05:51 AM)bigadz Wrote: [ -> ]
(08-16-2010, 03:05 AM)Vincenth Wrote: [ -> ]You'll have much better luck posting this on the mac portion of the forums.

Thanks! I thought treating it like it was just a Windows laptop as its running windows 7 was the trick, but will definitely post it up in the mac section also!

You could have also not mentioned Mac XDDLaugh
Let's see... we have to test out your system specs first...
So, what we need to try out is.... your video card..
We have to see how much your video card can handle..

So here are the steps
1- Run a game and stand still in an area where you see slowdowns ( in map for instance) and don't move...Blink
**You said you get 10-20 fps so now.. Mellow
we are going to change resolutions, what you will first do is
Use 512*512 D3D*1
2 Now look at the frame ratesSad
Are they increasing?
Yes?--then your video card is low end and you should play with lower resolution
No? your video card is perfect for your original settingBiggrin

So that leaves the processor which at 2.66 is great ( for windows) but laggy for pcsx2.

By the way...try these
Do not use interlacing, increases cpu loadExcl
do not use AA and see any changesExcl
turn of 8 bit textures ( it's a minuscule improvement and increases load not worth it)Excl

Last but not least..Glare
Speed hacks can help you get those 60 constant fps COUNTER.... but it will NOT make your game smoother since some frames will be lost, if that's ok for you ( since your problem is slow gameplay) then try different configs, hell put them all on!!Happy

Another thing ( dammit Rolleyes)
try setting ntsc framerate to 50 or 40... yes you will lose some frames, but definitely gameplay will be faster and cpu load will be lower.
Hope it helpedHappy