..:: PCSX2 Forums ::..

Full Version: GSDx feature is possible?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Hi...
First of all, thanks for the good work that all of you are doing with the emulator.

Now, the question:
Is possible to change the D3D internal resolution, when using DirectX10 (Software)? (actual or future feature)
This question came to me, trying to run some games in my notebook (Asus u30jc, with i3 350m and geforce 310m).
Runing a game with software mode, is almost perfect speed. Using hadrware, with internal resolution as 800x600 is also possible. Using native resolution, almost perfect too. The problem is the image quality (a lot of teeths everywere). The only way to improve it, is using bigger values as internal resolution, which gave me a lot of performance penalty.
I think the big problem is the geforce 310m, wich can't handle that config (opencl maybe), but i think that the cpu can doit.
For example, the wii emulator (Dolphin, wich can select to use opencl or not), can run games even with the intel hd integrated from the i3, configuring the graphics processing through the cpu, at full speed and perfect graphics (gliches and emulation problems aside). Using the igpu with pcsx2 its simply impossible.
With all the power of actual cpu's (even the movile versions), i believe that this feature can improve the performance of the pcsx2, when there are no dedicated gpu's, or they are just too weak.

Thanks for all, and sorry for my english (do you prefer it in spanish?)
Currently not possible, and since Im not a dev I cant really say if it will be in the future.
We discussed that before, actually.
Air said it should be possible to do.
The idea is great, even if it costs a lot more performance (than sw rendering already does Tongue2 ).

Thing is:
Currently no one is working with the GS much so it'll be a while until someone actually tries this.

So... it should be possible to do...
Great.
But now i have 2 new questions... is there any graphic plug-in with this feature?
And when you said "Currently no one is working with the GS much so..." means that the programers are working in other (better?) graphic plug-in?

Thanks for the response!
When rama mentioned the GS he didn't mean GSdx but the "Graphics Synthesizer" (GS) which is the rasterizer in the PS2, so basically no one is working in the graphics part so much lately Tongue2
(12-04-2010, 11:38 PM)rama Wrote: [ -> ]We discussed that before, actually.
Air said it should be possible to do.
The idea is great, even if it costs a lot more performance (than sw rendering already does Tongue2 ).

Interesting. So current processors are fast enough for that? Curious, can this portion be made parallel? Since graphics cards are doing the same thing, is it safe to assume the answer is yes?
(12-05-2010, 02:56 AM)ilovejedd Wrote: [ -> ]Interesting. So current processors are fast enough for that? Curious, can this portion be made parallel? Since graphics cards are doing the same thing, is it safe to assume the answer is yes?

I would say no. Since rama said it would cost more performance(obviously) and cpus already have problems with running full speed in software mode.
I don't get the whole idea? Asking for rendering the graphics in software all the time? Just to do the integrated chips any favor? I wonder if they really able to do that any better?! Is there any technical proof that the IGP are better at software rendering than a dedicated graphics card would do in hardware mode?

So far this is just a wishful theory than proven really worth coding.
Software = doing it on the CPU. Emulating a GS by the book, just scaling it up.

Hardware rendering via Direct X (or OpenGL) is a mere abstraction, complete with totally
unsupported GS operations, video memory constraints and full of hacks to get some meaningful output.

If you've ever looked at a colored blob of texture mess instead of the game level,
you know why software rendering has its merits.
(12-05-2010, 03:34 AM)GamerGeek Wrote: [ -> ]I would say no. Since rama said it would cost more performance(obviously) and cpus already have problems with running full speed in software mode.

Hmm, I suspect speed will be on a per game basis. There are already games you can play full-speed at native with the right CPU.

(12-05-2010, 04:09 AM)haxor Wrote: [ -> ]I don't get the whole idea? Asking for rendering the graphics in software all the time? Just to do the integrated chips any favor? I wonder if they really able to do that any better?! Is there any technical proof that the IGP are better at software rendering than a dedicated graphics card would do in hardware mode?

So far this is just a wishful theory than proven really worth coding.

Umm, the IGP has nothing to do with it (aside from drawing the pixels on the screen) since the processing will be done entirely by the CPU. It's possible - other emulators have shown us that. It's just a question of whether the hardware will be fast enough to cope with it. Perhaps with current CPU's, playable speed with post-processing is a pipe dream, but we'll get there eventually. Of course, GPU acceleration will probably always be faster but software is usually less glitchy.

You make light of PS3 emulation but in this case, the feature is actually feasible and you're saying it's impossible?
Pages: 1 2