..:: PCSX2 Forums ::..

Full Version: compatibility with pcsx2
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
i just got a new pc, and i was wondering if the emulator will have any problems running on this rig (opinions/ tips appreciated Smile )here are the specs:
Genuine Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit
• AMD Phenom™ II X6 1090T six-core processor [3.2GHz, 3MB L2 + 6MB L3 shared, up to 4000MHz]
• 8GB DDR3-1333MHz SDRAM [4 DIMMs]
• 1TB RAID 0 (2 x 500GB SATA HDDs)
• 1GB ATI Radeon HD 5770 [dual-link DVI, HDMI, DP, VGA adapter]

sooo thanks in advance Happy
I would expect it to generally achieve 60fps handily.

Tip: Apparently AMD is finally supporting SSE3 on that (but not SSE4.1). There are three versions of GSDX that come with the emulator- use the SSE3 version for best performance. (The 4.1 plugin will crash on your system).

The system looks pretty nice, although AMD has not been the best for high-performance for a while. This is mainly due to Intel having INSANE overclockability and cool running processors (Intel ships with bad coolers though). 6 cores could be nice if you can use them all Wink The RAM looks kinda slow too, my system is over a year old and I went faster. But, if you got sweet pricing on the parts, it's certainly not bad.
thank you very much ... and on a side note totally jealous of ur ssd..=p is it really as fast as everyone says? also is it actually possible to use all of the 6 cores for the sse3 version? and yeah, all the parts together cost around 650 or so...i wanted to go intel but that processor for the same-ish speed was like 200 bucks more..
You can use all the cores on software mode but you will obviously be stuck at native res. No way to use all cores on hardware so the other ones will be "wasted". It will still perform well and get full speed on a lot of games, some will still be slow though. And just to clarify that cpu does support SSE3 but not SSSE3 which is what gsdx uses, so you will have to use SSE2 anyway.

Now is there a specific reason you want to go for a six core?
The only place you will actually see any performance increse over a quad is stuff like decoding/rendering etc. You could get the phenom II x4 970 cheaper and it would outperform the 1090T in games/pcsx2.
(12-16-2010, 11:22 PM)adam333 Wrote: [ -> ]thank you very much ... and on a side note totally jealous of ur ssd..=p is it really as fast as everyone says?

Yeah, it really helps boot-time and makes windows more snappy, and helps with a lot of app loading times. I think 128gb might actually be more than I needed, 100gb is a good size to save money or even 64gb. You should offload documents, temp folder, installer cache, etc to another drive. It will fill up anyway with games or apps, but only certain stuff really benefits from the SSD enough. I think that in a year or two they will be so much cheaper that you can get another one.

(12-16-2010, 11:22 PM)adam333 Wrote: [ -> ]also is it actually possible to use all of the 6 cores for the sse3 version?

I was wrong and you'll need to use SSE2 version. But Unfortunately you really can't use all 6 cores except as rendering threads for software-mode graphics (which you will probably use hardware mode anyway). Currently the major work of PCSX2 is done by only two cores if I understand correctly.

(12-16-2010, 11:22 PM)adam333 Wrote: [ -> ]and yeah, all the parts together cost around 650 or so...i wanted to go intel but that processor for the same-ish speed was like 200 bucks more..

A $250 4-core intel chip has significantly faster per-core performance, but really only becomes worth it when you overclock. But there will be (although rare) times when 6 cores of your AMD will kick ass. I don't know what's up with the cost of Intel motherboards though, they haven't dropped in FOREVER and that is unfortunate, so taking that into account, I have to admit Intel is looking a bit pricey.