..:: PCSX2 Forums ::..

Full Version: software mode
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Greetings,

I just started playing valkyrie profile 2 and I kinda had some problem

specs
core i3 530 3.6ghz
9500gt( I have a gtx460 but it broke, waiting for it to be replaced )
4gb ram

I know that my current graphics card is limited so thats why I'm playing in native resolution (normal fps during intro and 1st time I control Alicia), but lost forest we know that ther's a graphical bug and need to use software renderer but i'm only having 20 fps during lost forest part and my EE% is 20+% and GS 90+%. ASAIK ee = cpu power gs = gpu power

why is it that my gs is reaching 90+% when software mode is using the power of cpu not the gpu?
I'm not sure, but I think software mode makes your CPU handle the EE AND the GS in the same time.
as i heard :
that when gs 90% or above you are bottle necked by yore gpu
but you are not using gpu power in software mode
hmm weird
Yea that's whats I know too, I endured the slow fps until 1st battle and it's running fine. All I know is the graphical bug during the lost forest dungeon no fps problem.

I can play ffx-2 fmv fine no fps problem on my current spec so it's not an issue. Running VP 2 on dvd and ISO produced same result.
(02-15-2011, 01:21 PM)avz10 Wrote: [ -> ]Yea that's whats I know too, I endured the slow fps until 1st battle and it's running fine. All I know is the graphical bug during the lost forest dungeon no fps problem.

I can play ffx-2 fmv fine no fps problem on my current spec so it's not an issue. Running VP 2 on dvd and ISO produced same result.
using iso \ dvd wont change speed ( unless dvd suks then thats will decrease speed a lot )
well i hope someone explain that

Hardware mode uses grafic card and software mode uses CPU.But it loads other core.
Yeah, 99% GS under software mode is completely normal AFAIK. I'm sure one of the devs could give a much better explaination, but I will give it a try (consider this speculation).

When using Software renderer, the CPU will handle the emulation workload. It will not only handle the EE emulation, it will also do the work of the GS. One thing you'll notice about Software mode, is that the graphics are usually emulated very clean (as clean as native resolution can look, anyway). Now, I'm gonna guess that the GS emulation takes priority in this instance, since it is always* clean. So the amount of processing power from the CPU that is neccesary for the GS emulation on native is sort of a pre-determined amount, and that's all the CPU allows for the GS emulation. What is available for the GS emulation is just enough for what's needed, and therefore will always be at 99% of it's use. The remaining CPU power is used for the EE, and will only allow as high of FPS as is has processing power remaining.

Or maybe it's just what the GS% does when the GPU is not in use. Again, I don't rightfully know, but that's the most I could figure with what I know. Smile