..:: PCSX2 Forums ::..

Full Version: MacBookPro with 2 Graphic adapters - which one is used?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Hi there,

I'm trying to play Shadow of the Colossus on my MacBookPro, but the frame rates are way too low to do so (13/14 fps, sound stutters a bit).

My system:

MacBookPro 15"
Core i7 (Sandy Bridge) 2,3GHz, 4 cores
8 GB RAM 1333MHz
2 Graphic cards: AMD Radeon HD 6750M (1GB dedicated RAM), and Intel HD Graphics 3000 built in chipset gfx

From the Activity Monitor I can see that pcsx2 uses just one CPU core, I guess this is a given limitation?

My main question is - how can I make sure, that pcsx2 definitely uses the AMD Radeon gfx and not the Intel HD 3000 chipset gfx?

Or am I totally lost with the AMD Radeon (thinking about the NVidia CG framework requirement)?

Thanks,
Best regards,
onetwo
Answer to myself:

1. The GFX performance is not the main gap here.
2. The single core performance of the CPU in my MacBookPro is the weak spot.
3. Multicore support in terms of emulating a console like the PS2 and splitting its CPU related tasks to multiple threads turns out to be stellar complicated, if not impossible (see Air's blog posts; plus - he develops on Windows..).
4. I can't play Shadow of the Colossus on that Mac :-/.

Hm, well, at least I can take a look on the back of the DVD cover of the game, drink a beer, and imagine the rest ;-).

onetwo
(04-05-2011, 10:03 PM)onetwo Wrote: [ -> ]Answer to myself:

1. The GFX performance is not the main gap here.
2. The single core performance of the CPU in my MacBookPro is the weak spot.
3. Multicore support in terms of emulating a console like the PS2 and splitting its CPU related tasks to multiple threads turns out to be stellar complicated, if not impossible (see Air's blog posts; plus - he develops on Windows..).
4. I can't play Shadow of the Colossus on that Mac :-/.

Hm, well, at least I can take a look on the back of the DVD cover of the game, drink a beer, and imagine the rest ;-).

onetwo

I have a mac with i5
And mine has multicore mode
(04-05-2011, 11:16 PM)Kaze Wrote: [ -> ]I have a mac with i5
And mine has multicore mode

What do you mean by 'And mine has multicore mode'?

I know that an i5 CPU got 2 cores, so as the i7 CPU in my Mac got 4 cores. But from what I read, the multi cores do not help much to speed up the pcsx2 emulation. What matters seems to be the max speed of a single core of your CPU. I guess, a 13"/2,7GHz i5 MacBook probably gets better frame rates in Shadow of the Colossus than my 15" 2,3GHz i7.

Best regards,
onetwo
PCSX2 uses 2 threads (and a third one barely from 0.9.7 and on) but yes what matters most is your clockspeed since it can take advantage of up to dual core cpus
Quote:[..] yes what matters most is your clockspeed since it can take advantage of up to dual core cpus [..]

Thanks for your reply, Bositman. The clockspeed - yes, 'thought that this might be the bummer in the end..

However - thanks to all for the party anyway, it was fun to fiddle around a PS emu again, and this time on a Mac!

Exceptional thanks to zedr0n for the effort to port the pcsx2 beast to OS X! Great work man!

And - last, but not least - thanks to my (frickin' expensive) MacBookSlow, I now need to check the flea markets again for a solid PS2 to play SotC, grmml..

Best regards,
onetwo
(04-06-2011, 12:13 AM)onetwo Wrote: [ -> ]What do you mean by 'And mine has multicore mode'?

I know that an i5 CPU got 2 cores, so as the i7 CPU in my Mac got 4 cores. But from what I read, the multi cores do not help much to speed up the pcsx2 emulation. What matters seems to be the max speed of a single core of your CPU. I guess, a 13"/2,7GHz i5 MacBook probably gets better frame rates in Shadow of the Colossus than my 15" 2,3GHz i7.

Best regards,
onetwo

Wait, I thought i5 was 4 core?
And on my PC with i7 I get 8 cores on list.
(04-06-2011, 08:37 AM)Kaze Wrote: [ -> ]Wait, I thought i5 was 4 core?
And on my PC with i7 I get 8 cores on list.

i5 = 2 Cores + 2x HT (HyperThreading) = still 2 cores.
i7 = 4 Cores + 4x HT (HyperThreading) = still 4 cores.

HyperThreading: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hyper-threading

Your i5 is not a 4 core CPU. It is a dual core CPU which is able to compute some tasks more efficiently by (simple said) splitting them up into 4 threads.. Each pair of threads uses the base of one core.

PS: And yes, every task manager will show you 4 status bars, even for your dual core i5. Ask yourself why ;-)

(04-06-2011, 09:47 AM)onetwo Wrote: [ -> ]i5 = 2 Cores + 2x HT (HyperThreading) = still 2 cores.
i7 = 4 Cores + 4x HT (HyperThreading) = still 4 cores.

HyperThreading: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hyper-threading

Your i5 is not a 4 core CPU. It is a dual core CPU which is able to compute some tasks more efficiently by (simple said) splitting them up into 4 threads.. Each pair of threads uses the base of one core.

PS: And yes, every task manager will show you 4 status bars, even for your dual core i5. Ask yourself why ;-)

No task manager on this mac so I dont know.
But i7 on PC shows 8 cores
Shadow of the Colossus is pretty much one of the most power-hungry games as far as I know. Does FFX work full-speed?

On an i7 2.33ghz I'd expect better performance though, will need to check out my own copy then.
Pages: 1 2