..:: PCSX2 Forums ::..

Full Version: Tutorial: PCSX2 0.9.8 Quick-Start Guide
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4
I am grateful for the hard work and dedication that the PCSX2 development team demonstrates. I would like to help the community by submitting a "Quick Start" version of the English Guide that I wrote. There are incredible features, but I have noticed that less computer savvy users are having trouble setting it up. For your consideration, I would like to share this with you. Please let me know if it could be used to serve the masses. This guide is being written to commemorate a long time friend and supporter of this project. Use it well.

The PCSX2 0.9.8 Quick-Start Guide by: Rezo(English)

Required Files:

PCSX2 0.9.8 DOWNLOAD MIRROR
WinRAR Archiver 32BIT DOWNLOAD MIRROR
WinRAR Archiver 64BIT DOWNLOAD MIRROR
Playstation 2 BIOS from your PS2

Instructions:

Create Folders
  • Create a Folder and Name it PS2
  • Create a Folder in /PS2/ and Name it BIOS
  • Create a Folder in /PS2/ and Name it GAMES

Extract PCSX2 0.9.8
  • Install WinRAR Archiver
  • Open pcsx2-0.9.8-r4600-binaries
  • Click FILE -> SELECT ALL -> Click EXTRACT TO
  • Locate the /PS2/ Folder in the Middle-Right Box
  • Click OK

Add Playstation 2 BIOS
  • Extract BIOS from your PS2 (Guides available)*
  • Copy BIOS Files into /PS2/BIOS/ Folder
*NOTE: Sharing a copy of a PS2 Bios online is illegal and constitutes piracy. The extraction of this information does not give the owner the right to distribute this file.

Opening PCSX2 0.9.8
  • Open /PS2/ Folder
  • Double Click pcsx2-r4600
  • Click NEXT -> Click NEXT
  • Under "Select a BIOS rom" Click a BIOS and Click FINISH

Running a Game
  • Make an ISO of one of your games with IMGBurn DOWNLOAD MIRROR
  • Paste Game ISO in /PS2/Game/ Folder
  • Click CDVD -> ISO SELECTOR -> BROWSE...
  • Locate Game ISO and Double Click to Select the Game
  • Click SYSTEM -> BOOT CDVD (FULL)

Additional Options
  • Press ALT and ENTER Keys Simultaneously for Full Screen Mode
  • Connect a USB GamePad (PC GamePad or XBOX 360 GamePad)
    Click CONFIG -> CONTROLLERS (PAD) -> PLUGIN SETTINGS -> PAD1 TAB to Modify Settings that will Allow you to Use the Controller

*Notes*

Playstation 2 BIOS and Playstation 2 Games are NOT Distributed
through the PCSx2 Project due to Copyright. The BIOS can be extracted
from your Playstation 2, games can be run from/have iso's made from the original discs.

Ive altered your wording of some bits slightly due to it implying strongly about downloading the bios/games
(04-24-2011, 02:25 PM)refraction Wrote: [ -> ]Ive altered your wording of some bits slightly due to it implying strongly about downloading the bios/games

Thank you for revising it refraction. I do have one request though..

Is it possible that you could re-add the BIOS to the top of the list (required items). While older emulators such as SNES ran as a single .exe, users are having trouble differentiating between that and PCSX2. I would like to still emphasize the need for it, as it might be "the most helpful" with it.

Thanks.
-Rezo
There you go, however you can edit the post if you want to.
I updated the guide with information pertaining to version 0.9.8 (released on May 1st). I hope the information is accurate and current.. please let me know if there are any issues.

Thanks!
Rezo
I'd like to point out that WinRAR is not a free archiving utility and thus not an ideal option for users. 2 great free archivers are 7-zip (version 9.2 on the homepage, 9.22 from sourceforge) and IZArc (version 4.1.6).

Also, Daemon Tools users can themselves rip a disc image (iso only) directly from inserted disk media or from other mounted disk images (basically a conversion then). It can also burn basic disk images if need be.
Daemon Tools is not good for ISO making, ImgBurn is quite recommended for PS2 games and free.
Also you're right, WinRAR is not free but it has a 40day trial period which is more than enough to use for the quick tutorial.
(05-12-2011, 01:30 AM)Shadow Lady Wrote: [ -> ]Daemon Tools is not good for ISO making, ImgBurn is quite recommended for PS2 games and free.
Also you're right, WinRAR is not free but it has a 40day trial period which is more than enough to use for the quick tutorial.
Much agreed.
Plus, you can still use WinRAR after 40 days of trial.

you can

id personally recommend people using 7zip (as this is what they are compressed with), which is completely free.
(05-12-2011, 12:52 PM)meganova Wrote: [ -> ]Much agreed.
Plus, you can still use WinRAR after 40 days of trial.

It is however annoying being "reminded" to pay for the program each time you open it, that's the main reason i suggested 7-zip. Happy
Pages: 1 2 3 4