..:: PCSX2 Forums ::..

Full Version: Auto-Boot and Pre-Configure Games Separately
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4
It is very easy to keep separate configuration for games (or even for each game) with the use of commandline arguments. The easiest way to do this is with shortcuts for each game.

The addition of a commandline argument to the execution of PCSX2 can instruct changes to the way the emulator will function when started this time. Doing this with a shortcut is as easy as going to the properties of the shortcut, and adding the arguments to the Target field.

You can check out Air's blog about The return of the Commandline. In short, he speaks of commandline being restored in the next beta. That being almost a full year ago now, I'm very happy to see that commandline seems quite functional in the recent PCSX2 0.9.8 (r4600). ISO files can "Open with..." PCSX2 properly! (was a little buggy, even in r3878)

Auto-Boot a Game

The first thing you'll need to do is create a shortcut of the pcsx2 EXE file. Then, right-click and go to it's properties. In there, you'll see a field label Target. It currently will contain the the pcsx2 EXE path, and will be in "quotes" if the path has any folder(s) with spacing in it's name. Here's an example:

"C:\Games\Playstation 2\PCSX2\pcsx2-r4600.exe"

Add the path to your game's ISO file one space after the end of the pcsx2 EXE file path. Remember to use "quotes" if the game ISO file path has any spacing in it, too. Another example:

"C:\Games\Playstation 2\PCSX2\pcsx2-r4600.exe" "C:\Games\Playstation 2\Final Fantasy X.iso"

That game will now auto-boot with PCSX2 when you double-click that shortcut. The emulator will be configured how you have it normally, using (and changing) it's respective INI files. If you want to use a custom configuration, or add any other arguments, be sure to add them after the game.

Pre-Configure a Game

Let's say you want to set a specific configuration for a certain game, and never have to re-configure it again. This becomes very simple if you have configured a shortcut for the game.

Start by booting up the game, and finding your ideal configuration for that game. This includes all of the Emulation Settings, GS settings, sound settings, gamepad settings. You can even set custom folder locations for memory cards, or even savestates, plugins and everything else in the Plugin/BIOS Selector menus. Then, close out the emulator.

If you used the PCSX2 installer: The default location of the inis folder is in "My Documents\PCSX2" folder. This will be the PCSX2 directory you navigate to.
If you used the binaries (.7z): The default location of the inis folder is in the location you've extracted it to.

Navigate to your respective directory, then right-click and copy the "inis" folder. You can then paste it in a location of your choice and even rename it if you'd like.

Now that you have a copy of that "ideal config" for that game (in an ideal location), you can now add the commandline argument to direct PCSX2 to use those INI when launched with that shortcut. Add the following one space after the game ISO path in the shortcut's Target field:

--cfgpath=

Follow that immediately with the path to that copy of the inis folder. Here's an example of a shortcut's resulting Target field:

"C:\Games\Playstation 2\PCSX2\pcsx2-r4600.exe" "C:\Games\Playstation 2\Final Fantasy X.iso" --cfgpath="C:\Games\PCSX2 configs\FFX-inis"

Now, whenever you use that shortcut, it will launch that game with PCSX2 using the settings in that INI folder. Any changes you make to PCSX2 when launched this way, will be saved to that specific INI folder, and not affect (or be affected by) your normal PCSX2 configurations.

IMPORTANT NOTE: If using a game ISO path in the commandline, it must always come immediately after the PCSX2 path, and before alll other arguments.

I hope some people find this useful, especially those unfamiliar with commandline. Basically, this is just an idea of it's usage. I personally had grown tired of having to re-adjust any settings, especially when I had changed them drastically to suit different games. Not that I'm complaining, I do acknowledge and appreciate how the devs included a nice array of option to help a wider variety of end-users (and games) get the most out of the emulator (and their hardware).

Plus, making a shortcut with the games case cover, and having it launch in full-screen makes for a more authentic feeling experience. It's more like a native PC game feel than an emulator usually provides. Maybe it's just me, but I think it's just plain "Kewl!". Smile

Questions or comments are welcome. If I have left anything out or un-clear, please let me know!

Another member has made a HOW TO with another method for this. Check it out here:
HOWTO configure PCSX2 to run different games from shortcuts
Nice guide, added it to the useful links section in the FAQ (which reminds me the FAQ needs a bit of updating ¬_¬).

Quote:Not that I'm complaining,

Yes you are Tongue2
Argh! I've been had!

Yes, I am complaining! Why can't you people just make it so I can throw the disc at my PC, and when I look back at the screen it'll be running perfectly in HD!? XD

Seriously, though, Thank you. Smile
Very nice guide, cheers Smile
To boot into ps2 bios screen, in the main menu of PCSX2 you click CDVD => No disc

backup your inis folder

the command line is, e.g.
Code:
pcsx2-r4600.exe --cfgpath="R:\ps2_bios_inis" --usecd

Though I don't think boot into ps2 bios from shortcut will be commonly used.
(05-14-2011, 04:34 AM)Rezard Wrote: [ -> ]Plus, making a shortcut with the games case cover, and having it launch in full-screen makes for a more authentic feeling experience.

First of all, great guide mate! Now my question is, how do you do that?
^ You realize this guide is 3 years old?
Oh wow lol. Now I do. Sorry about that. Seems like Rezard is still around though so hopefully the necro wasn't for nothing. XD
Just use a frontend like pcsx2bonus

it can be found on the main site in the download section.
But I wanna do it myself Sad
Pages: 1 2 3 4