..:: PCSX2 Forums ::..

Full Version: My Documents to other folder PCSX2 0.9.8
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Hey,

Is it possible in any way to change My Documents folder to some other folder so I can keep folders with save states etc. in some other place?

My Documents folder is on the system partition and save states can make "sstates" folder pretty big. I don't really keep such things on the system partition unless it's not possible to change it in a program. Earlier versions of PCSX2 had all subfolders in the major installation folder, e.g. ...\PCSX2. Why was this changed? I guess most users make the partition with the system the smallest.

BTW, it's a strange and very bad solution I see installing PC games too more and more often. This way when I need to re-install my operational system, everything is gone, sometimes even when it's copied, the program doesn't recognize it after fresh installation of the system.

Hope it can be changed,
Cheers
You should be able to change it in the registry keys. Although it didnt work for me, maybe because the old 9.7 version interfered. You can also use the binary package, it will then use your pcsx2 folder to store states/settings etc.

Edit: Ok you can only change the inis folder from the registry keys and it doesnt seem to even work. The binary package does work tough so grab that in the downloads section.

Second Edit: If your just worried about space on your c drive, you can always change the location of my documents to a different drive.
You can change the save states folder (and others) via the Menu: Config -> Plugin/BIOS selector -> Folders.

The reason the files are not saved by default to the install directory is that there's usually no write permission for applications to the Program Files folders (especially with Vista/Win7). This is not a new thing, and many games and applications save their settings at places other than Program files (and usually at My Documents or Application Data). Previous versions of PCSX2 had many issues with ini files not being saved properly, etc, due to the default location being program files, so this is the solution.

Alternatively, you can download the binary 7z package (without an installer), which is pre-configured as portable. You should extract it to a folder which has write permissions, and by default, all the files will stay at the main PCSX2 folder (ini files, save states, etc). You can also put this folder on a removable disk (possibly along with some ISO files) and move it between computers, and it will keep working correctly and keep its configuration.

Portable instances of PCSX2 do not interfere with the installed version of PCSX2 (but they can be configured to use the same folders if one wants to).
Ahh thanks avih I completely missed that tab in plugin/bios selector. Can I ask why you cant change all the folder though?
Theres no option for memcards and inis.
The memory cards folder can be changed too, via Config menu -> Memory cards.

The inis folder cannot be changed since it also contains PCSX2's own configuration, so changing it will loose any previous config you had, including where the rest of the folders are. So this is sort of hardcoded.

Again, you can use the portable version if you want a PCSX2 instance which doesn't interfere with anything and keeps all the files at the same folder.
Doh, I knew about the memcards already Blush. But good to know about the inis.
I've just found out that there's a Folders tab in Plugin/BIOS Selector. It's there in the previous version too, only that default folders there are subfolders in the PCSX2 folder so I've never seen this either.

Anyway, good to know about the portable version. I've got Win7 x64 on the other partition but I've never used it for games (no drivers for my sound card). But I'll be moving to Win7 x64 shortly as I buy a notebook.
You can use a different inis folder by redirecting PCSX2 to it with a commandline argument. Wink

But not through the GUI.
is this still the case? or can I move the save folder out of documents and into the folder i'm running my emulators from?
(05-19-2011, 10:29 PM)Rezard Wrote: [ -> ]But not through the GUI.
yes, you can move the save states folder to anywhere but, you should specify it's directory in plugin/bios selector >> Folder section.
Pages: 1 2