..:: PCSX2 Forums ::..

Full Version: switching from 9.7 to 9.8 and memory cards arent transfering
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
ok so im trying to switch from version 9.7 to 9.8 because i cant get cheats to work with 9.7 but i tried copying my saves from the previous folder and it wont recognize the save in the game. is there something special i have to do to transfer my memory card?
Not really, memcards are be compatible with previous versions. Make sure you're copying from/to the correct folders.
I noticed sometimes the copy procedure from a directory to another may corrupt the memcard, this happen more frequently when the copy involves actual data movement instead just altering the paths in the files list.

To prevent that problem, the easiest is to keep the memcard on it's original location and pointing the newer version to look them there.

First you can try the copy to the new location... you should avoid moving the memcards. If it works, good, if not and you really want them in that other position, save them on MyMC, create new memcards in the destination and export the previous to there.

Notice it is not a PCSX2 flaw but the Windows copy procedure than dumbly try to make the memcard a "conforming" NTSC file. The memcard is not a conventional file, it's structure follow that of the PS2 Bios, hence the need for it's formatting before use.

PS: Another option is getting an application able to make "raw" copies.
A good tip is to make a new folder somewhere outside of "Program Files" and also not in "My Documents".
Name the folder "PS2 Memory Cards", and use it for your memory cards from now on.
This way, you can just point any existing (or new) revision of PCSX2 to that, and you'll be good to go.
It's also handy to do it this way, because if you ever uninstall PCSX2, it shouldn't delete that folder because it's not a part of the default installation folder structure. (I'm not use if this is so; this statement needs verification).

I do the same thing with the PS2 BIOS Files that I so painfully had to get from my PS2 Console;
ie: they exist in a separate folder called "PS2 BIOS" so i can just point any new or existing installs to it. Wink

Anywho, I keep these 2 folders on a the same secondary Hard Drive that I have all of the PS2 Game ISOs I ripped myself, so if my OS Drive ever gets messed up, or if I buy a new PC, I won't loose any of my Saves or the BIOS, or the ISOs, and it's easier to transfer it to a New or Different PC.
I just gotta physically move the HDD to the other PC, then just install PCSX2 on that other PC's OS Drive.
(07-04-2011, 06:48 AM)nosisab Ken Keleh Wrote: [ -> ]I noticed sometimes the copy procedure from a directory to another may corrupt the memcard, this happen more frequently when the copy involves actual data movement instead just altering the paths in the files list.

Notice it is not a PCSX2 flaw but the Windows copy procedure than dumbly try to make the memcard a "conforming" NTSC file. The memcard is not a conventional file, it's structure follow that of the PS2 Bios, hence the need for it's formatting before use.

PS: Another option is getting an application able to make "raw" copies.

Wrong.

Memcards are plain files, they're just set to use NTFS file compression if possible, such that they use less disk space. You can copy/move them around just like any other file.

If you have reasons to believe otherwise, or noticed some unexpected behavior (as implied by your post), please file a bug report.
Actually I don't doubt your word, just than I got that copy problem once and have not repeated the procedure to verify the real cause, anyway the BIOS saw it as corrupted and asked to format the copy... that's the only reason that lead me to think its is not common file but formatted differently.

Now that you pointed it, I see it could be indeed something with the NTSC compressing... or maybe just corrupted file indeed, because the destination HD begin to present SMART reports soon afterward and was replaced. I'll try moving between partitions again to confirm by myself the issue.

Edit: I wish to rectify my previous post. I had a problem once and made an eager assumption. The memcards I copied in between different drives today worked normally, so the original issue I had was of another nature.