..:: PCSX2 Forums ::..

Full Version: Problems with PCSX2 running FFX
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi guys, I'm new in the forum and I need someone to help me out about my problem... I'm Italian, I live near Milan and I own a regular PS2.. 2 months ago I've bought a new laptop because I'll have to move to Trieste for the univerity (living with other students, so no ps2/3 other "big" consoles), and being a FF fan, I need to keep on playing even when I'll be there! Tongue

So I downloaded the PCSX2 0.9.6, 8, 9 and other emulators but with none of these I can reach a playable level with any of PS2 FF (such as X, X-2 and XII)...

Here the specs of my laptop:

HP Pavilion G61007 sl
Run on Windows 7
HD 500GB
Ram 4 GB
Graphic Card AMD Radeon HD 6470M 1 GB dedicated
Processor AMD Phenom II Quad Core / 1.8 GHz

anything else you need to know?

Here's some weird things that happen when emulating ffx...

During the game fps range between 20 and 40... During video sequences, such as the video with "Other World" or any other video fps are 50 and the game runs PERFECTLY... In some other cases (when there are no moving images to display) the game runs at 50 fps... The CPU occupated by the whole system while PCSX2 is emulating is ONLY 1,9 GB and I can't understand why it doesn't eat some more CPU in order to run at 50 fps costantly...

I've tried every kind of settings and reached the best result with these...

Graphics
GSdx 1600 (MSVC 15.00, SSE2) 0.1.15
Resolution 640x480
Renderer Direct3D9 (Hardware)
Interlacing None

Sound
SPU2-X 1.2.0

Bios
Europe v02.00 (04/11/2004)

I obviously run .iso files!

Any tips? Everything may solve the problem is well accepted!!

Thanks and kind regards!
Those "weird things" are actually quite typical, especially when approaching PCSX2 with a weak system (sorry to say it). You CPU is slow (1.8Ghz on Phenom II architecture), and you GPU is on the lower end of things.

Although, your specs may not be too awful for such a compatible game. Have you tried using any Speedhacks, and lowered the internal resolution?
All speedhacks have already been enabled, and what do you mean by "lowering the internal resolution"? Internal as Windows or as pcsx2?

*EDIT: Ok D3D Internal Res lowered from 1280 to 680, there are no improvements though.. For weird things I meant that during the game play I have a range of fps 20 to 50, during the video sequences with a higher resolution I have 50 fps and the game runs perfectly!!
thats to be expected on an AMD Phailnom.
(08-07-2011, 01:29 AM)Torta Wrote: [ -> ]I can't understand why it doesn't eat some more CPU in order to run at 50 fps costantly...
pcsx2 is only using 2 cores.

My advice,
Use latest official pcsx2 build.
Gsdx hardware, native checked, uncheck texture filter.
Spu2-x nearest interpolation, async mix.

Round modes nearest, Clamping none, use superVU, EE cyclerate at 2, all the recommended hacks. If it still run poorly then forget it.

AMD Phenom is just bad (I don't think it can even run Gust games perfectly). The graphic card is actually alright to run FFX at native if you have a better processor.
well pcsx2 highly-hates AMD laptops and has a potential boost it's CPU temperatures in a matter of seconds.
and 1.8Ghz is a farther margin of the recommended pcsx2 requirement
Low improvements got from reducing audio quality to "nearest"... Still not playable though...

thanks for your help anyways...

Rgrds